Cura 2.6 | Beta

SandervG

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Well done you Ultimaker guys, heaven at last.

Cura versions - excellent; a shame politicians do not listen to their public like you do.

Dual extrusion for custom printers - oh bliss, now I am motivated to get that new heater element out of the drawer and get my 2nd extruder working again. I appreciate it is probably not the easiest thing for you to test, but I close my eyes and just hope that it is going to work - absolutely no excuse for me to not get this downloaded and help by starting to test.

Model auto arrange - another example of listening and I am sure it will be better than 15.04.n !!

Mold - ooh that does sound interesting; this package is just totally awesome. Off to buy some jelly tomorrow to check this out 8)

Cutting meshes - have not go my brain around how that will actually work but sound a powerful tool

So you have pretty much everything I have been waiting for, thank you.

I did not see any mention for the 2.4 bug of not being able to change the custom printer start/end gcode so I will be testing that first!! Of course apologies if it was fixed in 2.5

• Like 2

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Hi folks, I can't change my Machine Settings in 2.6.0 Beta. No error message is displayed when I made the change but when I return to the Machine Settings screen the old settings are still showing.

Anyone else having this issue?

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Thanks!!

I've actually been looking at other slizers as the placement of objects and slow auto-slizing and startup was a huge bother.

Glad you finally put back in a proper object placemnet feature. It's been defunct since v2.* where items goes way out of the printplate. I havn't tested it yet though ;)

Adding option to disable auto-slizing and supporting multi-threadding is very nice (why wait so long for this?)

Requests

• You really need to focus some on Material settings! Add a "Material" icon next to the "Print Setup" and "Print Monitor" icons.
    • We really must have (yes, must) more options to define filaments like extrusion rate.
    • We have done extensive testing and PETG seems to always need to be printed at lower than 100% extrusionrate. Pretty much always between 95-97%
    • Line width should also be here, as the default 0.35 works very well for PLA but totally ruin PETG and many ABS+ prints

As it is now we have to remember a wealth of information for each of our filaments and it's just impossible to do so. S3D and Sliz3r has all kinds of nice settings for filaments, which are really a must have.

• Like 3

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

i've downloaded and installed the new cura, i'm still analysing , but i can't " drag & drop" my files out of a file into cura.

This only happens on the first time you run Cura, from the installer. Restart Cura, problem solved.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

upgraded from 2.4 to 2.6 beta.  i used to select an object then zoom using double finger slide down on the trackpad, this used to zoom into the object.

This feature has been disabled on Windows, because it caused a crash. The crash happens in an external bit of code, so it has proven tricky to fix so far.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

...when I return to the Machine Settings screen the old settings are still showing.

Anyone else having this issue?

Yes, others are having that issue too. It is an issue with upgraded profiles. There are two workarounds for now:

* Remove and re-add your printer in Cura, or:

* Open the Configuration Folder and remove the folder named "old" from "machine_instances"

Devs, see https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/1902#issuecomment-305257112

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

I've been using the beta with no issues so far.

The "mold" feature is amazing! Thanks for including it. In it's current state it does have limited functionality though. A simple addition would really make this a stand-out feature: add a setting to split the mold in two pieces with a wavy line. This would allow for easy de-molding of the object as well as registration for the mold halves. Please consider!

Also, I'd also like to see the addition of user add/delete supports.

Thanks!!

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

I've been using the beta with no issues so far.

The "mold" feature is amazing! Thanks for including it. In it's current state it does have limited functionality though. A simple addition would really make this a stand-out feature: add a setting to split the mold in two pieces with a wavy line. This would allow for easy de-molding of the object as well as registration for the mold halves. Please consider!

Also, I'd also like to see the addition of user add/delete supports.

Thanks!!

The mold feature you suggest is incredibly difficult. I'm afraid we won't add it.

With Cura 2.6 there is the option to add / remove support, but it's as unuserfriendly as it can get (as of yet). You need to import a mesh, e.g. a cube, place it over the area where you want to modify suypport and then in the per object settings specify that it's a Support Mesh or an Anti-Overhang Mesh.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Hello and thank you for this release !

I created a custom FDM printer with three extruders, when I try to print three part at the same time (each part on one extruder), only extruder 2 and 3 orders are created in the gcode file !... No T0 in the file...

Furthermore, my printer is equiped with a diamond hot end and it requires to purge at each tool change.

It is great to have the extruder start and end Gcode, but would it also be possible to have a layer change gcode ? This would enable to handle a robust purge tower process !

Thanks in advance !

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Bug report:

In Cura 2.6 Beta, I've lowered Support Density to 5%, and now cannot raise it again.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Firstly: Thank you for making it free! I like the interface improvements. I only tried to use the previous version briefly, while trying to get my first 3D printer going (a rebranded Wanhou). I finally got it going with this beta! Minor issue on my laptop with the interface: the layer view box that opens in the bottom left was getting cut off at the bottom. Even hiding the taskbar was not making enough room. Would be great if I could move it somewhere it fits. The issue happens on a full HD screen, when you use the text zoom feature in Windows 10 e.g. 150% recommended zoom. I have that on all the time otherwise all text and the start menu is tiny. Also had some issue with importing profiles. I have 3 ini files with low, normal and high quality settings. Each time I imported a custom profile, it was the only one in the list. I was hoping to import all three, and then switch between them in the list of custom profiles. Not sure if this is normal to need to import each time I want to switch to a different one. I really appreciated the explanations on all the expert settings! It was great to look through and explore them all. However, some were still hard to understand. I know this is being VERY picky, but a little diagram would make the popup explanation even more awesome. You probably have those in your user manual, and I have not read that yet. And lastly, if you could add the Wanhou to your list of printers so it does not need to be added as a custom printer, that too would be awesome. The Wanhou was recently sold by the Aldi supermarket chain here in Australia, rebranded as Cocoon Create. There could be a lot of folks (like me) trying out Cura with these printers. Thanks again! : )

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

It is great to have the extruder start and end Gcode, but would it also be possible to have a layer change gcode ? This would enable to handle a robust purge tower process !

Thanks in advance !

I second this request. Please add layer change gcode customization.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Thanks in advance !

Or even better; 2.7 will have a purge before prime tower function ;)

I second this request. Please add layer change gcode customization.

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.6 | Beta

When are the travel paths optimized at Cura?

Cura has much more unnecessary travel ways, e.g. Opposite to S3D.

This is the only thing for me, where Cura still has great weaknesses

Here example:

_

Cura = up to 3 times in the same range, many unnecessary traverse paths

S3D = area complete with once finished, less travel paths = for certain parts, materials better printing results

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

I am currently working on a PR that optimizes the travel paths for walls. It doesn't do anything for infill. It's working well and I hope it will be incorporated into Cura 2.7.

I also have a PR that avoids unnecessary seams across skin layers (you know how Cura will print skin starting in the middle of a region rather than starting in a corner, it stops it doing that). That also should be in 2.7.

If anyone wishes to test these features, it's all on github.

• Like 2

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Guys, could you please do me a big favor and also try to implement keyboard shortcuts for "move", "rotate" and "scale". It´s a bit annoying to always need to click on the button when in "working mo(o)d(e)" ;-)

• Like 3

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Guys, could you please do me a big favor and also try to implement keyboard shortcuts for "move", "rotate" and "scale". It´s a bit annoying to always need to click on the button when in "working mo(o)d(e)" ;-)

+1

I will pitch this to our product owner. I'm hugely in favor of this as well.

• Like 3

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Cura has much more unnecessary travel ways, e.g. Opposite to S3D.

This is the only thing for me, where Cura still has great weaknesses

Here example:

_

Cura = up to 3 times in the same range, many unnecessary traverse paths

S3D = area complete with once finished, less travel paths = for certain parts, materials better printing results

We haven't really looked into this, as travel moves are only a small part of the time spent on a single print. Doubling the speed of ~3% of the print will have a really big impact.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta
    We haven't really looked into this, as travel moves are only a small part of the time spent on a single print. Doubling the speed of ~3% of the print will have a really big impact.

Err, I beg to differ. If you have lots of holes and several wall skins it can make quite a big difference. I have a test model that when the walls are optimized would print in about 3 hours compared to around 4 hours without the optimization. That's a worthwhile gain.

• Like 1

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta
    Screenshot_2017-06-12_11-22-15.png?raw=1
    • Like 1

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Hi

I have been trying out this software and i like it very much. I would like profiles/support added for the two printer that i have been testing it on , the QIDI TECH X-ONE and the QIDI TECH 1 . They are very good printers and I think they should be added. The only thing that I have a problem with is support removal is very difficult compared to Simplify3D. That would need to be improved ...Fantastic software, Keep you the good work!!!

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Same problem here! Slicing ABS the temperature drops to 200Cº even though I have specified 250Cº.

It is a software bug.

It took me a long time and tons of wasted plastic to figure this out.

Now I just go to te code and change te M104 S200 line to the temperature that I want.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Yes, it has happened to me as well.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

@nokian - the developers are very busy and won't add a printer to the profiles unless you make it very easy for them. As a minimum you have to create the profiles yourself and test them. But that might not be enough - better would be for you to get a github account, clone the repository and make your changes, push them into your repository and then do a PULL request. It's easier than it sounds. And it's a good learning experience if you are a programmer.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_open_beta/Cura-2.6.0-BETA-win64.exe

The download link for 2.6 beta is broken.

Just letting you know. :D