Cura 2.6 | Beta

SandervG

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Tried to import "old" profile files (.ini) from 15.04.

Cura 2.6.0 says "successfully loaded" but there is no entry in the profile settings nor any change in slicing settings...

@ nallath maybe a bug or just my damn old notebook...?

Do you have some logs? It could also be that the profile is imported, just not visible for your machine.

• Replies 139
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

I set up dual extrusion up for a Tevo Tarantula. It works great for the first layer. While on the second extruder, extruder 1 is cooling down to prevent oozing. The second layer starts with extruder 2, as he was on at that time. The it's time to reheat extruder 1 and there it goes wrong. I get a preheat error. Not sure wheter it's a firmware or a slicer issue. Can't find the solution.

On single colour prints both extruder 1 and extruder 2 work great.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Why is it no longer possible in Cura 2.6 to add custom material files simply in the folder "C: \ Users \ NAME \ AppData \ Local \ cura \ materials"? (These are not recognized anymore!)

Do I now have to import all manually?

Bug or willed?

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.6 | Beta

The location of the configuration folder has changed. Use Help -> Show Configuration Folder to open the folder, and you'll see that it is now in AppData/Roaming instead of AppData/Local.

The location was changed to better support users on networks.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

...when I return to the Machine Settings screen the old settings are still showing.

Anyone else having this issue?

Yes, others are having that issue too. It is an issue with upgraded profiles. There are two workarounds for now:

* Remove and re-add your printer in Cura, or:

* Open the Configuration Folder and remove the folder named "old" from "machine_instances"

Devs, see https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/1902#issuecomment-305257112

Hi @ahoeben, not sure if this is 100% correct. This appeared in 2.4 which I reported. I need to get to the start gcode and change it but Cura does not allow it. Yes if you create the printer again you can change the gcode as you re-enter it. But after that, i.e. setting a up a new printer, you cannot access that printer and change the gcode - you can input the changes you want but they do not get stored. If I remember correctly the changes you make are stored in another definition of the printer heled in a different folder (wrong) rather the folder that Cura reads the printer definition on startup (correct).

Disappointed to hear this has still not been fixed!! I change my start gcode quite regularly. Over the pass week I have about 10 changes and have had to keep them noted down on a piece of paper and re-apply them for every print run of new gcode.

Hi @ahoeben,

I reported it on 4th April, thread "Cura 2.4 release bug" and checking when, I see that you have recently posted to that thread, which I missed. I will install 2.6 release and follow your instructions and report back - on this thread rather than the original thread.

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Do you still think about other infill variants?

I still lack the honeycomb pattern as it is available in S3D. This makes it much easier to print (no gaps, with the same print parameters) thus probably also more stable.

20161204_162424.thumb.jpg.2c246f9dd2a8c70814c4e7ac3cf3cc75.jpg

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Do you still think about other infill variants?

I still lack the honeycomb pattern as it is available in S3D. This makes it much easier to print (no gaps, with the same print parameters) thus probably also more stable.

20161204_162424.thumb.jpg.2c246f9dd2a8c70814c4e7ac3cf3cc75.jpg

I also would like honeycomb, as it is the strongest of infills.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Is it? I've yet so see anyone actually measure the difference. I think it's going to be quite a bit slower to print, so even though it could be strong, it won't be as strong compared to a print with a different infill in the same time.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Is it? I've yet so see anyone actually measure the difference. I think it's going to be quite a bit slower to print, so even though it could be strong, it won't be as strong compared to a print with a different infill in the same time.

I wondered the same, there's a few threads you can pull up on Google but I remember this article lent some support (see what I did there?) for it

• Like 1

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

I'd guess that the Cubic infills are stronger than hexagonal, and are fully three-dimensional, so equally strong in all directions.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

I have problem with multi-extrusion setup.

I want to use only one hotend but Cura's gcode heating all hotend heaters.How can i use single heater in multi-extrusion setup ?

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Having read the article posted above, I found that the differences to be marginal (Their words, not mine), but honeycomb did win out in a direct measurement.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

I think triangular infill wins in strength and print efficiency.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

The honeycomb pattern is the only one Infillvariante where I have found where no lines overlap.

For all other types of infill, there are non-uniform extrusion lines, and with fast and / or some materials (e.g., colorfabb XT), my infill look like this

Dreieck.thumb.JPG.ce21887c0f22f817da374c47f31673cc.JPG5a333c7396afe_Wrfel.thumb.jpg.d2a8e8d31e0b56fb8c2ac54933883e15.jpg

And this does not look very stable.

I print with the honeycomb pattern faster and the infill still looks fully intact!

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

I have problem with multi-extrusion setup.

I want to use only one hotend but Cura's gcode heating all hotend heaters.How can i use single heater in multi-extrusion setup ?

Have the same issue and made the following workaround:

- setup an additional printer with single nozzle setup

- use a postprocessor migrated to 2.5 from DaHai8 to "select" the second nozzle when printing only with the second one.

For me it´s working quite well...

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Having read the article posted above, I found that the differences to be marginal (Their words, not mine), but honeycomb did win out in a direct measurement.

I would also jump in for a hex infill request, as it also gives an very easy possibility to create nice objects when removing the top layers - e.g. pen boxes, ammo trays, battery trays, ... :-)

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

The honeycomb pattern is the only one Infillvariante where I have found where no lines overlap.

For all other types of infill, there are non-uniform extrusion lines, and with fast and / or some materials (e.g., colorfabb XT), my infill look like this

Dreieck.thumb.JPG.ce21887c0f22f817da374c47f31673cc.JPG5a333c7396afe_Wrfel.thumb.jpg.d2a8e8d31e0b56fb8c2ac54933883e15.jpg

And this does not look very stable.

I print with the honeycomb pattern faster and the infill still looks fully intact!

I would like to know if it is actually faster, or the 'infill print speed' can just be set higher. Because I don't believe a ~20% honeycomb infill will ever be printed at a high speed, as there are no long straight lines in that infill pattern. For the real printing speed, it won't matter if you set infill print speed to 50mm/s or 300mm/s for such short line pieces. I also think every line piece is printed twice, also increasing the width of the infill lines.

I'm not saying honeycomb infill is a bad idea, it's just way slower because there are no straights and no simple paths in that infill. If you want the triangular infill to be stronger, you decrease infill print speed to 40-50mm/s as well.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta
    I would like to know if it is actually faster, or the 'infill print speed' can just be set higher. Because I don't believe a ~20% honeycomb infill will ever be printed at a high speed, as there are no long straight lines in that infill pattern. For the real printing speed, it won't matter if you set infill print speed to 50mm/s or 300mm/s for such short line pieces. I also think every line piece is printed twice, also increasing the width of the infill lines.

I'm not saying honeycomb infill is a bad idea, it's just way slower because there are no straights and no simple paths  in that infill. If you want the triangular infill to be stronger, you decrease infill print speed to 40-50mm/s as well.

I think the idea of honeycomb is not speed but the marginal increase in strength where sturdiness is required, not speed. Kinda like saying 0.1MM is slower and will not print as fast as 0.2MM no matter what you do.

Just a different set of priorities.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Have the same issue and made the following workaround:

- setup an additional printer with single nozzle setup

- use a postprocessor migrated to 2.5 from DaHai8 to "select" the second nozzle when printing only with the second one.

For me it´s working quite well...

Thanks for the reference!

I've added a web page to my profile with the Cura Post-Processing Plugins I've written/converted to make it easier for people to find.

• Like 1

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

I'm not saying honeycomb infill is a bad idea, it's just way slower because there are no straights and no simple paths  in that infill. If you want the triangular infill to be stronger, you decrease infill print speed to 40-50mm/s as well.

I think the idea of honeycomb is not speed but the marginal increase in strength where sturdiness is required, not speed. Kinda like saying 0.1MM is slower and will not print as fast as 0.2MM no matter what you do.

Just a different set of priorities.

Take it or leave it, but I am a mechanical engineer and even if they add hex, I'll print triangles for my structural parts. Triangles are stronger.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

On a side note, yet related to Cura 2.6.1....

I've been looking to buy a Pi and use OctoPi for remote printing. I see they still use 15.04 I'm sure this info is somewhere....but how would one get it to use the newest version of Cura? (If there's documentation on how this is done, please let me know!)

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Take it or leave it, but I am a mechanical engineer and even if they add hex, I'll print triangles for my structural parts. Triangles are stronger.

I don't care if you're the head bartender at the local pub...I'd like to have that infill option :)

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

I don't care if you're the head bartender at the local pub...I'd like to have that infill option  :)

Pull requests are always welcome! ;)

• Like 1

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

On a side note, yet related to Cura 2.6.1....

I've been looking to buy a Pi and use OctoPi for remote printing.  I see they still use 15.04   I'm sure this info is somewhere....but how would one get it to use the newest version of Cura?  (If there's documentation on how this is done, please let me know!)

I think a fair bit of coding is required to get it to work. The interface between engine & frontend has been significantly altered.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Well, I can understand the take it or leave it approach. That is why there are options. And, I would not presume to know about the strength issues as I am just a simple caveman, mystified by your modern world of magic and plastics....

Stay tuned next week for "Caveman 3D Printer Noob!"

• Like 1