Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
RS-MIDOPT

Axis drifting?

Hello Ultimaker Community,

I use an Ultimaker 2 Extended+ at work and recently, I have been having some issues with model consistency.

20170524_112358.thumb.jpg.963353db687c1b4652eb536b68b1cd53.jpg

If you can see the attached image, you can see I was trying to make circular shapes of a certain ID and OD. I was able to print 2, each requiring a 12 hour session. after that when I tried to print a third, I was given this:

20170524_112427.thumb.jpg.cc7fbdf520ebeaa0d73c0618303384b7.jpg

Why do you think that the print would unravel in such a way? and what settings can I provide to you all in case you need more information?

20170524_112358.thumb.jpg.963353db687c1b4652eb536b68b1cd53.jpg

20170524_112427.thumb.jpg.cc7fbdf520ebeaa0d73c0618303384b7.jpg

It looks like it's drifting in only X or Y. Can you confirm which axis? Was it left/right or was it front/back? The drifting axis is the one you need to fix. Tighten the HELL out of the pulleys. There is a little set screw inside each pulley. There either 5 or 6 pulleys on each axis. Tighten them all but mostly tighten the two pulleys on the short belt that goes to the motor. Those are usually the ones that have a problem as those 2 have twice the torque placed on them. If you use that little L shaped wrench it should hurt your fingers. You should be scared of breaking something. The tool should almost twist a bit. REALLY TIGHT.

Thanks for the help!

I've re-tightened all the pulleys but the farther most pulley on the right side had loosened itself quite a bit. I tightened it and I've seen a lot more model coherence since then.

:D