Thin wall prints - works sometimes, others not :(

changedsoul

Posted · Thin wall prints - works sometimes, others not :(

I have tried a few slicers. Cura seems in my opinion to be the best out of all them. It looks nice, slices nice, produces nice prints, and best of all its free.

I recently started to print these model air planes that is a complete thin wall project. It sees cura does a great Job at it.....when only slicing one object at a time.

When two or more models are on the table, cura will seem to ignore the inner parts of the models.

But not all the time. It may be how the models are created too though, but I dont have access to that, only the .stl files.

Is this a known issue? Will it ever be fixed? Is there a way to force it to work? Am I doing something wrong?

That service butchered the model, so thats a no go.

I should note that cura "Some times" will slice correctly.

It just happened where a brought in a model and it sliced wrong. I closed it , came back later, and it sliced the model fine.

I would say thats a bug.

Posted (edited) · Thin wall prints - works sometimes, others not :(
    That service butchered the model, so thats a no go.

Can you elaborate on that? I would like to know what you mean.

also, what version of Cura are you using?

Cura has sliced properly for me at all times. And, be aware that many of the files you download are not really that well made with all sorts of errors in them.

Try looking at the x-ray view to see if it has any red in it. I have found a lot of models I downloaded are full of red areas. This goes for OBJ and STL files.

Also, position may play a part as, if I am correct, it works off a 3D Grid and you may be falling in between grid areas is the walls are not angled or in the right place.

A link to the file so someone may take a look could be good too. Just because someone hit the export to STL button does not mean it is a proper STL file.

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Thin wall prints - works sometimes, others not :(

Butchered  as in it took the original model which had a small slit in the side and some inner support structures, and turned it into a complete solid, removing all that stuff. It may have printed, but it would not be what the original model was supposed to be.

And I was using the Free Pro Trial with the best healing option they had.

I am using Cura 2.5.0

This is what I am speaking about. Individual models are fine, but multiple ones cura bugs out.

XRayed and Sliced

1_XRAY.thumb.JPG.511c3417597f6e47483ac927a8f05889.JPG

1_Sliced.thumb.JPG.b9567dd4c6ca9245cbb9898dd71d8dde.JPG

XRayed and Sliced

2_XRAY.thumb.JPG.c96ebb59eb596a81fe7aa8241b8e0e85.JPG

2_SLiced.thumb.JPG.94a9006b17c588cd5a77a305e4eb03b9.JPG

Now when you put both on the table:

1_2_XRAY.thumb.JPG.9b6569ed89477e091e4950ffade4810e.JPG

1_2_SLiced.thumb.JPG.f1cfce49a6d534ef54b4db713dcf681a.JPG

All the insides ignored

I dont really know how to share the files. Some help on that please.

1_XRAY.thumb.JPG.511c3417597f6e47483ac927a8f05889.JPG

1_Sliced.thumb.JPG.b9567dd4c6ca9245cbb9898dd71d8dde.JPG

2_XRAY.thumb.JPG.c96ebb59eb596a81fe7aa8241b8e0e85.JPG

2_SLiced.thumb.JPG.94a9006b17c588cd5a77a305e4eb03b9.JPG

1_2_XRAY.thumb.JPG.9b6569ed89477e091e4950ffade4810e.JPG

1_2_SLiced.thumb.JPG.f1cfce49a6d534ef54b4db713dcf681a.JPG

Edited by Guest

It would seem that the red areas are creating an issue.

As for sharing files, if you downloaded them, then you can post the link from where you downloaded from. That would be easiest as it would let people see what issues you may have from the master files.

They were purchased online by a coworker and the files were given to me to print. So a direct download link is not possible. They would have to be uploaded to a free share site of some sort, which I dont really know because I normally just email files.

Does this forum allow upload of .stl files?

Maybe a PM with an email where I can send them to?

If they were purchased, then I would not think it is a good idea to spread them around.

How else can Cura improve if we cannot share those files it struggles with ")

How else can Cura improve if we cannot share those files it struggles with ")

I was speaking for myself. I have had my work used by others, seen it in other people's portfolios, etc as well as seen other persons' models for free in one place and for sale in another. So, I am a bit more cautious than most.

But, maybe someone else will help. But, have you inspected the model in a 3D program? There are free ones that can help you such as mesh mixer.

I completely understand, and was actually half joking. I will contact the ones who created the files and get their permission for the sake of furthering cura.

I would not think they would have a problem sharing 2 files since it takes many many to build the whole thing.