Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Skangster

Trouble with prints aka poor Benchy

Hi @skangster, welcome to the forums!

It looks like there are 2 problems. On the first photo it looks like your print is just not attaching to the buildplate / tape.

What 3D printer do you have? It looks like an Ultimaker 2+?

And why do you have the tape installed, is your heated bed defective?

My first advice would be to level your bed properly. Especially in the back left corner it looks like the bed is too low.

Something you could print to check if your bed is level. Could you share a photo with us? (just 1 or 2 layers all around would be good)

Is your Ultimaker standing stable on all four corners of the frame?

At what speed are you printing the first layer? I would recommend 30mm/s max.

The benchy suffers from under extrusion.

Could you share with us some key settings from Cura?

At what speed and temperature did you print it?

What material did you use?

How many print hours have you been using your PTFE coupler for? It is a consumable which can start to show some signs of wear and tear, under extrusion being one of them. It looks like it mostly starts when it has to do retractions, which could indicate it has troubles passing by the PTFE coupler.

Is your 3rd fan in your print head still working?

Looking forward hearing back from you!

Hi @skangster, welcome to the forums!

It looks like there are 2 problems. On the first photo it looks like your print is just not attaching to the buildplate / tape.

What 3D printer do you have? It looks like an Ultimaker 2+?

***Yeah ultimaker 2+

And why do you have the tape installed, is your heated bed defective?

***No it's working. Shouldn't i use tape?

My first advice would be to level your bed properly. Especially in the back left corner it looks like the bed is too low.

***Ok. I have had some trouble doing it. Too little or to much...

Something you could print to check if your bed is level. Could you share a photo with us? (just 1 or 2 layers all around would be good)

***Yeah i give it a go when im back home again.

Is your Ultimaker standing stable on all four corners of the frame?

*** Jup.

At what speed are you printing the first layer? I would recommend 30mm/s max.

***No idea and can't check atm. I have usually used either fast print settings or normal. Not playing around with anything else

The benchy suffers from under extrusion.

Could you share with us some key settings from Cura?

At what speed and temperature did you print it?

What material did you use?

***Standard fastprint settings. Pla.

How many print hours have you been using your PTFE coupler for? It is a consumable which can start to show some signs of wear and tear, under extrusion being one of them. It looks like it mostly starts when it has to do retractions, which could indicate it has troubles passing by the PTFE coupler.

***I had the printer for about a month now.

Is your 3rd fan in your print head still working?

***Yes

Looking forward hearing back from you!

Thanx! Ill get back to you.

Yeah...

IMG_20170601_210910.thumb.jpg.0e15ab3d8d201eff1743d6eef36107b2.jpg

Ok now we are talking! Got rid of the tape. IMG_20170601_231444.thumb.jpg.7e460f962e9887a66a8fa761d8180bac.jpg I haven't noticed until now that the tape was a big problem for good prints. Until now i had just printed smaller stuff that apparently was held in place better than big surfaced things (like the bed leveling testprint). Thanx for the advice. Now my son will finally have his robot... in 8 hours

Yeah...

Ok now we are talking! Got rid of the tape. IMG_20170601_231444.thumb.jpg.7e460f962e9887a66a8fa761d8180bac.jpg I haven't noticed until now that the tape was a big problem for good prints.  Until now i had just printed smaller stuff that apparently was held in place better than big surfaced things (like the bed leveling testprint). Thanx for the advice.  Now my son will finally have his robot...  in 8 hours

Still getting this bullcrap... IMG_20170602_000847.thumb.jpg.08e94213df65be69342d5cf8c8b8ecbc.jpg

Yeah...

Ok now we are talking! Got rid of the tape. IMG_20170601_231444.thumb.jpg.7e460f962e9887a66a8fa761d8180bac.jpg I haven't noticed until now that the tape was a big problem for good prints.  Until now i had just printed smaller stuff that apparently was held in place better than big surfaced things (like the bed leveling testprint). Thanx for the advice.  Now my son will finally have his robot...  in 8 hours

Still getting this bullcrap... IMG_20170602_000847.thumb.jpg.08e94213df65be69342d5cf8c8b8ecbc.jpg

IMG_20170602_101020.thumb.jpg.64351975c6e6aef4e12500b202b49719.jpg Bedlevel ok. But still prints look like thisIMG_20170602_103605.thumb.jpg.d60bd6c65c8f084b3a63ea8a767691b0.jpg

IMG_20170601_231444.thumb.jpg.7e460f962e9887a66a8fa761d8180bac.jpg

IMG_20170602_000847.thumb.jpg.08e94213df65be69342d5cf8c8b8ecbc.jpg

IMG_20170602_101020.thumb.jpg.64351975c6e6aef4e12500b202b49719.jpg

IMG_20170602_103605.thumb.jpg.d60bd6c65c8f084b3a63ea8a767691b0.jpg

There were quite a few other questions and suggestions in my post besides the comment about the tape ;)

Yeah i did the bed leveling (that seems to be ok now) i checked the settings. The speed was 50 on fast print if i rember correctly,that was one thing you asked. The fillament seems to feed normally. Nozzle temperature atm is 210c,buildplate is 59c. Trying out a Benchy again...

If your fanshroud is touching the left frame, you should probably gently bend your fanshroud down. Maybe during the process you bent it a little bit and it just got a bit too much range. Should be pretty easy to fix.

PTFE looks super clean, so that is not it. Thank you for checking!

Do you have the original feeder on your Ultimaker? How is the tension?

Could you take maybe one or two photo's of your prints where it goes wrong for some more perspective?

Thanks!

If your fanshroud is touching the left frame, you should probably gently bend your fanshroud down. Maybe during the process you bent it a little bit and it just got a bit too much range. Should be pretty easy to fix.

PTFE looks super clean, so that is not it. Thank you for checking!

Do you have the original feeder on your Ultimaker? How is the tension?

Could you take maybe one or two photo's of your prints where it goes wrong for some more perspective?

Thanks!

Checked the tension yesterday, that seems good. Oh my...  I think it was the fillament all the time. I changed color and it seems to be working now...  Innofill3d green. Changed it to gold (same brand). How the hell is that possible?!

Ps. Thanx again for the help and patience.

Edited by Guest

I believe innofill has some good filaments too, but it could be just a bad reel. If it is old it could be dried out, when it has been out of the bag too long, has laid in the sun or near a radiator for example. It can also just be a bad batch. A common misconception is that often the hardware is blamed when it is the material that lets us down..

Happy you found the core of your problem. Happy printing! :)

Brings us back to the previous question, what feeder do you have installed and what is the tension you have set it to?

Oh yeah.  Stock feeder.  see picture. IMG_20170602_164549.thumb.jpg.b14fc4db818f05762a7c5a42ab3bb44a.jpg

How do i know should i use the setting i have now or the middle. Read on here that there was some difference between machines made before a spesific date.

IMG_20170602_164549.thumb.jpg.b14fc4db818f05762a7c5a42ab3bb44a.jpg

Edited by Guest

The higher this indicator, the less tension you have on your filament. Given the fact you are suffering from under extrusion I am inclined to think you have too little tension.

Did you ever take your feeder apart? Is the adjustment screw still in the housing?

I would adjust the tension to the middle and try to print again.

Thank you :)

The higher this indicator, the less tension you have on your filament. Given the fact you are suffering from under extrusion I am inclined to think you have too little tension.

Did you ever take your feeder apart? Is the adjustment screw still in the housing?

I would adjust the tension to the middle and try to print again.

Thank you :)

Yes once. Some fillament got chewed up inside. And yes i got everything back together. Even the spring.