Date of release 0.8mm printcore?

Posted · Date of release 0.8mm printcore?

Hi Ultimakers,

Is there anybody who can give me answere to date of release 0.8mm printcore? Q1 2017 is behind us and still no information about this.

Will Ultimaker develop printcore for abrasive materials (nylon with carbon fibre etc.)?

Thanks for answere.

Thanks SandervG

I have next question. WIll cura support printing with 0,8 and 0,4 printcore together?

That means, cura must slice 2 diferend codes. (sorry I´m not expert).

And same question is about 0,8mm AA and 0,4mm BB for PVA together.

Thanks SandervG

I have next question. WIll cura support printing with 0,8 and 0,4 printcore together?

Is just a 'line width' change. Cura can do that right now. What it can't do is print different layer heights.

• Like 1

Thanks SandervG

Yes, features are being built into Cura to use the 0.4mm and 0.8mm print core in one print. And actually, with different layer heights. This is already possible with the current version of Cura (infill thickness). The limitation is that the thicker layers should be a multiple of the thinner layers.

But the next version of Cura will enable you to choose the extruder per feature.

So then, you can print the inside of a model with a thicker nozzle and thicker layers, and the outside of the model in high detail (thin nozzle, thin layers). For most models, this will greatly decrease printing time.

Bu it also enables you to print the skin of an object with "special material" (bronzefill, woodfill etc) and the inside with plain/cheap stuff.

• Like 1

Thank you much for replies.

I have last question. Supporting PC, CPE+ and TPU on UM3 is depending on waiting for printcore 0.8mm or it is only cura software upgrade?

Date of supporting these materials is same like 0,8mm printcore release?

Thanks SandervG

Yes, features are being built into Cura to use the 0.4mm and 0.8mm print core in one print. And actually, with different layer heights. This is already possible with the current version of Cura (infill thickness). The limitation is that the thicker layers should be a multiple of the thinner layers.

But the next version of Cura will enable you to choose the extruder per feature.

So then, you can print the inside of a model with a thicker nozzle and thicker layers, and the outside of the model in high detail (thin nozzle, thin layers). For most models, this will greatly decrease printing time.

Bu it also enables you to print the skin of an object with "special material" (bronzefill, woodfill etc) and the inside with plain/cheap stuff.

Wow. That's an awesome enhancement. I can see where this will be very useful. So glad I chose the UM3.

So then, you can print the inside of a model with a thicker nozzle and thicker layers, and the outside of the model in high detail (thin nozzle, thin layers).

The layer thickness (in the z direction) will still be the same. You can do a bit of trickery with the infill, but you won't be able to print with 0.06 layer height with extruder 1 and 0.1 layer height with extruder 2.

You are right, the infill layer height must be a multiple of the other layer height.