ABS does not stick to HIPS

eviala

Posted · ABS does not stick to HIPS

Hello,

I am trying to do different prints with ABS and HIPS and trying different configurations but I do not get these two material stuck together. They stick perfectly with the plate.

Here I leave an example of a configuration I used that have not worked.

Printer: Ultimaker 3 Extended

Software: Cura v2.5.0

ABS printing temperature: 235 ºC

ABS diameter: 2.85 mm

ABS flow: 100%

ABS retraction: enabled

ABS filling density: 100%

ABS fill layer thickness: 0.2 mm

HIPS printing temperatura: 240 ºC

HIPS diameter: 2.85 mm

HIPS flow: 100%

HIPS retraction: enabled

HIPS filling density: 40%

HIPS fill layer thickness: 0.2 mm

Build plate temperature: 110 ºC

Room temperature: 24.5 ºC

ABS print speed: 55 mm/s

ABS travel speed: 250 mm/s

ABS print acceleration: 4000 mm/s2

ABS travel acceleration: 5000 mm/s2

HIPS print speed: 55 mm/s

HIPS travel speed: 250 mm/s

HIPS print acceleration: 4000 mm/s2

HIPS travel acceleration: 5000 mm/s2

Print refrigeration: enabled (I have also tried to disable refrigeration)

I have tried to rise and lower the print temperature of both materials, I have tried to enable and disable print refrigeration, and these materials still do not want to stick together.

Could it be an explanation for the problem the size of the piece I am trying to print? The size is 10 x 20 cm (X and Y).

• 6 months later...

I currently struggle with the same problem and am still looking for a solution..

My guess is that the the ABS, where I want to print the HIPS on top, is cooled down too much during printing of my large model (20 x 20 cm).

I just ordered some of the Break Away. Looking for a solution that works with the higher temp build materials. I've also tried Scaffold Snap (E3D) but I can't get it to work with ABS any better than the HIPS. Hopefully Ultimakers' Break Away isn't the same as Scaffold Snap.