Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
fabreax

Glass plate, a new faulty product from Ultimaker

Hi @fabreax,

Thank you for your message. Our apologies for the seemingly chipped corners on the glass plates.

Recently we changed something in the production of the glass plates, which also included the processing of the corners. Instead of a rounded off corner, they should have 45º angled corners now. Which saves quite some time during production.

However, yours do not look like how they are supposed to look.

We do check our glass plates periodically (sample testing), but not all that we receive (that is not doable). We keep a close eye on all reports and if it happens more often we'll increase the sample testing.

For your reference, here is an example of what it should look like.

5a333c1058fcd_FullSizeRender(1).thumb.jpg.2735df049302f23aef2a1561e1715827.jpg

If you do you want to replace your glass plates, you should be able to reach out to your reseller to get a replacement. Let me know what your preferred course of action is and I'll alert the dedicated teams :)

Thank you for notifying us, and once again our apologies for the inconvenience!

Edited by Guest

Don't fall for the borosilicate crap, it's useless for our application and will chip as easily as plain glass.

You'd better buy custom cut glass in your hardware store.

Should cost 2 euros and 5 minutes of your time with sanding paper.

Buy a bunch for quick swap between prints.

Agreed.  I use cheap glass from the hardware store.  I have a half dozen of them cut to the size I specified.  For a few $ a piece, I consider them consumable.  I get many prints from them before they fail.  Never has a failed glass plate ruined a print.  When in a hurry, I pre-heat one in the toaster oven to hot swap and keep printing w/o waiting. The thickness is consistent enough that there is no need to adjust Z depth with each new pane.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3