Possibly bricked the ultimaker original?

nuggetbram

Posted · Possibly bricked the ultimaker original?

I needed to change some firmware settings on my ultimaker original, so I used the (seemingly) official builder, https://bultimaker.bulles.eu/. It uploaded happily through cura, but no longer works. I can see a com port in windows, I get an error if I try to connect with any baud other than 250000, so I know it's kinda connected. Cura can't detect the printer, however, and repetier seems to connect but freezes up with x commands waiting. I can no longer upload firmware through cura due to a 'communication error'

Have I bricked the motherboard? Any other solutions to this problem?

It is very unlikely that the firmware would brick the UMO...

The only possibility is that you generated a fimware for UMO while having an UMO+ or the opposite.

If you give me the md5 checksum of the firmware you flashed, I will have a look at the parameters used by the builder and check if any weird setting was used. (I am not a Windows person, but there are free tools on Windows to compute the md5 hash, alternatively you can use an online service like http://onlinemd5.com/ )

It is very unlikely that the firmware would brick the UMO...

The only possibility is that you generated a fimware for UMO while having an UMO+ or the opposite.

If you give me the md5 checksum of the firmware you flashed, I will have a look at the parameters used by the builder and check if any weird setting was used. (I am not a Windows person, but there are free tools on Windows to compute the md5 hash, alternatively you can use an online service like http://onlinemd5.com/ )

I managed to get the original firmware back on it in the end, it needed the thermocouple sensor installed to start up apparently. This has posed another problem - I have a new e3d V6 installed, which uses a thermistor rather than a thermocouple. I installed a 4.7k resistor on the r23 pads, attached the thermistor to signal and ground of the temperature plug and changed the firmware to the relevant thermistor. This was causing the ultimaker to not start, however. The only solution I could find was to plug the thermocouple board back in, but that meant the temperature was not read. Any solutions to this? Board is version 1.5.6

I never tried the thermistor myself, for the E3D I initially used the thermocouple, then eventually installed a PT100 with the E3D amplifier.

But I see no reason why it should not work. I know the firmware will immediately shutdown if the temperature is out of bound.

Double check the cabling, connect the thermistor directly to Signal and Ground (so the 5V / middle pin is not used).

Also check that you used the correct thermistor in the firmware builder (E3D should be an "ATC Semitec 104-GT2", not the traditional "EPCOS 100k" nor the "ATC Semitec 204-GT2" which are coming first in the list!)