Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
nerdwarrior

Heated Bed Errors - Screw Terminal? pt100?

Hello Ultimaker community,

It's been a while since I've had to post any hardware issues, but my heated bed has started acting up recently. Either the pt100 returns a temperature of 55 degrees (even at room temp.) and thus stops heating the bed, causing it to cool down (and prints just pop right off), or I get the MAXTEMP BED error.

I've gone through to check the connections multiple times, and I do not see any issue. However, one thing did catch my eye, and it threw me off a bit:

5a333c2b4997a_Inkedscrewterminals_LI.thumb.jpg.8a2c7ff0b483777abcbc84f5f9c029d2.jpg

As you can see, the third screw terminal is missing the copper plate (or whatever it is) at the back (all of the terminals are wide open). It is one of the terminals for the heater itself, not the pt100. Should I be concerned?

Additionally, I measured the resistance on the pt100 at room temp, and it started off pretty consistent at around 111 ohms, but as soon as my hand would twitch a bit, it would hike up to the 120's, 130's, 140's, sometimes even the 200's, then drop back down in a matter of seconds. When I turned the machine on, though, the temperature seemed pretty steady. Is this normal? Should I attempt resoldering the connections (I'm already out of warranty)?

Thank you,

nerdwarrior

5a333c2b4997a_Inkedscrewterminals_LI.thumb.jpg.8a2c7ff0b483777abcbc84f5f9c029d2.jpg

Edited by Guest

Hi nerdwarrior,

You should change this Terminal Block.

Here is a picture I made from the terminal block to see the connector lip in half way closed position.

Terminal_MKDS1_SMD.thumb.jpg.2e1af8ea2fe2e265855c8ee61a8fd342.jpg

The material in here is Tin plated Copper. Maybe we can see this lip if you turn the screw clockwise to lift the lip. Did the wires for the heat bed show any sign of overheated, burnt black etc.?

If you touch (trying to heat) the PT100 resistor with your finger, there should not be any big jump in the reading - maybe 1 ohm "more", this cause the aluminium plate is connected to the resistor.

Here is the P/N number of the used Terminal Block:

MKDS 1/ 4-3,81 SMD

And here is where you find them:

http://www.tme.eu/gb/details/mkds1_4-3.81smd/pcb-terminal-blocks/phoenix-contact/mkds-1-4-381-smd-bk-1727256/

OK., good luck.

Thanks

Torgeir.

Hi nerdwarrior,

You should change this Terminal Block.

Here is a picture I made from the terminal block to see the connector lip in half way closed position.

Terminal_MKDS1_SMD.thumb.jpg.2e1af8ea2fe2e265855c8ee61a8fd342.jpg

The material in here is Tin plated Copper. Maybe we can see this lip if you turn the screw clockwise to lift the lip. Did the wires for the heat bed show any sign of overheated, burnt black etc.?

If you touch (trying to heat) the PT100 resistor with your finger, there should not be any big jump in the reading - maybe 1 ohm "more", this cause the aluminium plate is connected to the resistor.

Here is the P/N number of the used Terminal Block:  

MKDS 1/ 4-3,81 SMD

And here is where you find them:

http://www.tme.eu/gb/details/mkds1_4-3.81smd/pcb-terminal-blocks/phoenix-contact/mkds-1-4-381-smd-bk-1727256/

OK., good luck.

Thanks

Torgeir.

Thank you so much @Torgeir!

A metal plate does lift up and close the opening if I close the terminals, but it is missing the plate at the back. The wires also seem fine, but I will go ahead and replace the terminal in case anything happens in the future. The links are highly appreciated!

As for the pt100, I am currently printing something, so I'll wait until it's done and check on that as well.

Once again, thank you so much for your help!