Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
xenopaul

Hello from the UK

Hi to all from not so sunny Southampton.

I got my Ultimaker yesterday assembled and I love it.

59770_365388980249124_400891257_n.jpg

I have one small problem though I know it's something probably mentioned here already. When I turn it on the Ulticontroller is lit the fan is going and the card is inserted. I also have my PLA installed and secured.

I wanted to print the test robot demo just to see it in action but my temp reads "25 / 000" I went to preheat PLA and it doesn't rise just makes a short hiss sound and then stays on 25 / 000.

Can anyone tell me how to preheat my PLA for a print? Once I get that working I can start playing with Cura ;)

All in all if this is the only teething problem I'm happy with my unit and can't wait to print :)

Paul

Hi Paul!! Welcome to the forum! (Nice to see another Brit on the forum - I'm from Nottingham, but live in the US now.)

You should be able to preheat your nozzle by selecting 'Preheat PLA' from the Prepare Menu. I presume that's what you're selecting, so it's a bit odd that it isn't working. (Although I think there's another place that appears in the menu structure (under Control -> Temperature) - but thats for tweaking the settings for the preheat, not actually making it happen).

The chances are that the gcode for the test objects already includes the necessary commands to heat up the head. (You could try looking at the files on your computer - check for an M109 command somewhere near the start. If so, then you don't need to preheat... and worst case, the printer should refuse to try and extrude if the head isn't hot, so you shouldn't hurt things if you just try to print some of the files. The Ulticontroller should display a 'Heating' message... and the temp display should show 25/xxx (where xxx is whatever the chose temp is for the file, and the 25 part should start rising as the head heats up). Heating to print temp generally takes about 2 mins. Once it reaches temp, the print will start.

Which doesn't solve the 'Why doesn't the preheat command work?' question.... but will at least get you printing :-)

Which doesn't solve the 'Why doesn't the preheat command work?' question.... but will at least get you printing :smile:

Thanks. I tried just clicking print and it raised the bed to home position and stopped. I waited but the temp didn't rise, which is

weird as my UM arrived with printed items on the bed. Hope it's not a wire loose as I wouldn't know where to start lol

Paul

Hi,

I received my ultimaker 2 days ago, and been printing since yesterday non-stop :-) I had the same issue with the default robot. I had to manually tell it to heat up before it would print. I do not have this issue with any items I created my self.