The Clumsy Noob Shares a Lesson that we can all laugh about

Posted (edited) · The Clumsy Noob Shares a Lesson that we can all laugh about

OK, I see a lot of posts about this problem or that problem and sometimes, I ask about environmental conditions. Well, here is why!! LOL :p

Now, the printer has been behaving like a champ and also through a lot of very uncontrolled conditions. But this last weekend, it got really hot and humid. And, while the basement apartment usually keeps cool, the nights never cooled and the humidity was too high as well.

So, I started up the A/C to dehumidify and control the temp a bit better.

Monday I had  to leave for a job in Manhattan and do some 3D Software training. I started a 6 day print with tons of Support PVA to be used. The heat wave broke, and the humidity was supposed to be dropping. Going outside, it did feel better than normal. I started the print, took a shower and left for work. I checked the printer and it was humming along ok so I decided to turn off the A/C since I would not be home and the temp was not supposed to be too bad.

I got back from Manhattan about 9 or so hours later and well, I had Red PLA all up inside my electronics and nozzles and such. And, here is why the posting.....the print started to fail within about 20 or so minutes after I left. It had not progressed much at all after I left before failing. Just blobs of red PLA everywhere up inside the printhead.

The PVA was all 'noodled up' in the feeder. It had gotten so humid, so quickly that it just got so soft that it could not feed at all and literally looked like a spooled up noodle in the feeder, all squished and curled and wound a bit. Also, probably moisture in the bowden tube to help create friction. So, the PVA was really well cooked in the nozzle after just heating, cooling and reheating all day long without movement. I mean it took 3 hours to get it cleaned and pushing plastic again. Even had to break out the Airbrush needle to start the breaking up process it was so clogged!

I ruined my AA Core :angry:because as I cleaned out the cores and electronics, it cooled too much and although it had give, it pulled out a couple of wires. I do not have a heat gun, so tried to work quickly to no avail. I may be able to fix it, but am busy right now, so, just ordered replacements for the AA core. I had two AA and Two BB. So, I got 2 new AA and one new BB so that I can have backups and also do two color printing should I desire. Now, I will have three of each nozzle.

Now, the BB core was cleaned out and the spare AA core I did have is working great. But, with about 5 hours of A/C running, it had dried the air out a bit and things started to feed again. I left the A/C on during the days I have been out training and doing other work. The print has not failed.

The only thing that changed was the A/C to cool and dehumidify.

Will it always be a solution to all problems?  nahhhhh :p

But, when dealing with PVA, it is a major concern and I wanted to give the experienced people a good laugh (And I laughs wit youse guys on dis!!) and the other noobs a chance to see just how much environment can affect the printing process. The print is doing fine with the A/C and now only has 2 days and 19 hours to go. It seems to be all purtyfied now. :)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Posted · The Clumsy Noob Shares a Lesson that we can all laugh about

Wow. You, sir, are one optimistic fellow. Thank you.

If you are doing such experiments, would it be an idea to use the UM3 app on your phone to monitor the printer? In case you see the print failing, you can abort the printjob.

You would need to create a connection to your home network, but I've read somewhere on this forum that this shouldn't be too difficult.

I think I should look into that. But, the goal is to find the optimum situation that does not need much monitoring, for the most part. But being able to monitor and abort would be nice. I have learned that tech fails at the worst times.

I will have to look at that. But, I do not know where you get optimistic from. I prefer all my systems, except this one to be air-gapped. There are just too many bad actors who do nothing but want to create chaos and have no concern for what they do to us little guys.

But, I do love sharing the experience as I am hoping it will help others. And, I thought the higher experiencers would get a good laugh at it. I certainly do now. Did not Monday night though!! LOL:P

I'm not sure we are miscommunicating now. I was trying to compliment you, maybe the word optimistic isn't the right description. Anyway, I appreciate you sharing your experiences, and looking at the bright side of things!

You would need to create a connection to your home network, but I've read somewhere on this forum that this shouldn't be too difficult.

You need to setup a VPN to your home network. If you have a router that supports it it's very simple, I use a fritzbox and it only took me a few minutes. Have a look at the manual of your router.

If your router does not support it, here's a manual to set up a VPN using a raspberry Pi;

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/39542-um3-remote-monitoring-raspberry-pi-vpn-tutorial

I'm not sure we are miscommunicating now. I was trying to compliment you, maybe the word optimistic isn't the right description. Anyway, I appreciate you sharing your experiences, and looking at the bright side of things!

Well, that is my mistake then!! Hahahahaha!! And, yeah, I do hope my mistakes help others. :)

You need to setup a VPN to your home network. If you have a router that supports it it's very simple, I use a fritzbox and it only took me a few minutes. Have a look at the manual of your router.

If your router does not support it, here's a manual to set up a VPN using a raspberry Pi;

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/39542-um3-remote-monitoring-raspberry-pi-vpn-tutorial

Thanks!! :)

Edited by Guest

This is the print that killed my cores. Well, I killed it, but it was the one that was printing when the humidity hit my BB core so bad. It took 5 days and 19 hours at 0.2mm Layer height to get this beastie out. Will take forever to get the PVA off, but that is ok. Thank goodness it is PVA and will dissolve eventually. But on the day the print failed, it failed at less than 1/8 of an inch into the print and 'circled the wagon' in the air for about 9 or so hours before I got home. Uggghhhh...But it printed. Now to wait and see. It is real spindly and I am not going to rush that one.

KP_1.JPG

KP_2.JPG

Edited by Guest

This is what my cores looked like last week. Ugghhhhh....At least this person took a pic.