Looking for Marlin sources

tigrouxmaker

Posted · Looking for Marlin sources

Hello.

I decided to modify my Ultimaker in order to have two extruders.

After i achived the modification, i was looking for Marlin firmware with two extrudeurs configuration.

It seems cura is not quite good for this kind of updates...so i decided to build my own Marlin firmware.

I know how to compile the sources and i get the good .h configuration but

i can't found the sources of marlin firmware.

If any body could help me to find that sources.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

TigrouxMaker

Hello Illuminarti,

Thanks for your answer.

I already tried to download marlin sources from the github server but the links are dead...

I'm thinking about getting marlin sources from some members of this forum...

Thanks again.

Best regards,

TigrouxMaker

Good deal, glad you got it working.

I missed your last post at first, so I already made this screen shot to point you in the right direction... so I'll post it anyway in case it helps someone in future find how to get the source bundle from github :-) ...

Downloading Marlin Source

Is that the right marlin? I thought it was this one:

https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin

It probably doesn't greatly matter.

Erik's is the canonical Marlin for any type of printer.

The Ultimaker fork is the official Ultimaker one, I believe. And the one that is tagged with the official releases.

There's generally not a lot of difference between the two forks, and Daid is active in committing to both of them, although the active development in Erik's fork is mostly not related or relevant to Ultimaker hardware lately (but it gets the fixes and changes from the Ultimaker fork as well). But if you want defaults and settings that are more likely to be UM compatible, and no experimental stuff that's totally unrelated to Ultimakers, the UM one seems like a better choice.

I actually develop in the ErikZalm version, the Daid version is old (but my broken builder still used it), the Ultimaker version has better defaults for the Ultimaker configured, and doesn't follow latest developments.

Daid - going forwards, when making 'official' releases of the firmware, will they be built from the Ultimaker fork? In other words is the Ultimaker fork going to be guaranteed to have all the source code and fixes that make up every official release (which might therefore be a good reason for UM users to focus on that one over the ErikZalm version).

Yes, that was the point of my post 2 months ago. Some official word on the UM website about "this is the official FW" would be great (and not pointing to something that is 12-18 months old)

I agree 100% with Joergen, its way too much messing around to find that stuff. Not everyone enjoys

wading through miles of Github stuff and reading through release notes....

I got marlin from this link : https://github.com/Ultimaker/Marlin

I have configured to get 2 hotends and an heated bed.

I have compiled and flashed my Ultimaker.

When i started it, it was ok (i like the new UControler menu).

I'm able to heat the two noozles and the bed :)

First trouble :

I like the new way we can move the axes.

But, when i go to move the extruder's axes there is only one Extruder in the menu and this one doesn't move...

Second trouble :

I tried to print. The extruder motor of the first noozle move (i start with a simple print on one noozle) but the pullback is too quick i think...

The extruder's motor can't follow...some steps are lost and it lakes of plastics when it have to print...

May the firmware is right but may i should configure the motor's driver to be mush more powerfull...

May i could configure something in the firmware to make the pull back slower...

If you have any idea thanks for your help :)

Best regards,

TigrouxMaker

Hello,

I have done as illuminarti said and it works !

I have configurated the firmware to limit the speed limit of the feeder motor to 22mm/s

Thanks to all.

There is another problem. I tried to print with 2 extruders but the second extruder motor doesn't work... It seems to be a netfabb trouble but nothing is sure !

I'll try others things... I'm not sure this is a firmware problem...

I any body have a solution thanks to share it with us :)

See ya :)

Daid - going forwards, when making 'official' releases of the firmware, will they be built from the Ultimaker fork? In other words is the Ultimaker fork going to be guaranteed to have all the source code and fixes that make up every official release (which might therefore be a good reason for UM users to focus on that one over the ErikZalm version).

Yes. They already are. The Cura 13.03 firmware is the official release build from the Ultimaker/Marlin fork. The fork is also tagged so you can find the exact sources used to build the firmwares. And there is a build script added which I used to build the firmwares. So you should be able to trace it all back. It just lacks some documentation somewhere.

Hello,

I finnaly found the solution !

My feeder mecanisme wasn't right due to i have inverted the mecanism...so i have inverted the axe in the firmware.

But, netfabb does a strange pullback...

The firmware and the hardware are all right !

Thanks for your help :)

See ya.

Assuming you are running a recent version of netfabb, retraction should work. However, it is incompatible with the recent Marlin retraction fix, unless you cap the extrusion speed to something reasonable. I found that 25 mm / sec is a touch slower than the netfabb reatraction speed under the old Marlin, which some people complained sounded mechanically aggressive, but 25 mm / sec results in typical retraction speed and performance and it is working well for me. See:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/1734-marlin-bug-the-myth-of-retraction-speed/&do=findComment&comment=13291

I've found that although the netfabb "pull-off" and "push-on" settings can be varied, the retraction speed settings have no effect on the gcode. Hence, you must limit the speed outside of netfabb.

But, netfabb does a strange pullback...

The firmware and the hardware are all right !