flyntm

What are "Helpers"

Posted · What are "Helpers"

I have loaded a new model and for some reason Cura 2.6.1 is adding a "Helper" to the build. It doesn't appear to touch the model so what the heck is a "helper" and what does it help? I can't find any settings in Cura 2.6.1 to disable "Helpers"

Thanks for your "helper".

Here is a screenshot. By "Helper" I'm referring to the square on the right which is not part of my model.

5a333c861a592_ScreenShot2017-06-29at10_53_03AM.thumb.png.7168661a3dcbc3711c4381ce07e01411.png

While you are at it, is there a way to reduce the amount of support material used? Reduce the density? In this case the amount used seems to be overkill.

Posted (edited) · What are "Helpers"

The 'square' on the right/back side of the buildplate is the priming tower. It is placed there to prime and wipe the nozzle. You can disable it by going to dual extrusion and unchecking it.

Play with the support settings to minimize the amount of support. Density, step size, type, etc. But it is going to go from base to supported model...that is its purpose. I think there is a way to use another model to help with that, but you will always have something that has to go from buildplate base to bottom of model.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the help. I just realized that there are a bunch of Setup features that are normally "hidden". That helps a lot!

One more question. Why did Cura generate that support tube that runs up the middle and doesn't support anything? On the other hand, why didn't it generate a cylinder to support the middle circular bearing?

Thanks for the help.  I just realized that there are a bunch of Setup features that are normally "hidden".  That helps a lot!

Yeah, I had to unhide them all to keep meself from going bonkers.