Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
ManuelW

Remove default material

Posted · Remove default material

Hey there,

is it possible to remove the default materials?

The lot of materials are very confusing and i don't need it.

is it possible to remove the default materials?

Yes,

Files can be found at:

C:\Program Files\Cura 2.6\resources\materials

(Windows computers)

• Like 1

Your method works well for windows where Cura is installed on the local disk. In Linux, all of these files are embedded in an applimage file, and there is no deleting them.

This is probably the biggest thing I hate about cura.  I never even heard of many of these companies (except perhaps verbatim - but I didn't know they made filament) let alone purchase filament from them. On top of that, the companies I purchase from (and even those I don't purchase from but see all over the internet) are NOT listed - where did this crazy list of filament vendors come from?  I know can define my own, and I have, but they get lost in the forest of all of the other brands.  Oh - but wait - I can lump ALL of my filaments under favorites - but that gives me no way to organize them by type or brand.

I saw a thread earlier where someone else was asking for the ability to remove these filaments.  The reply was that Ultimaker made a conscious decision to disallow deletion of these filaments because if the user deleted all of them, there would be no way to define a new one.  That's nonsense;  solving that problem is simple - just don't allow them to delete the last one.  Instead, the poster was told that "favorites" was the solution to this - as stated above, "favorites" is not a solution.

To me, all of this just points out a programming flaw that they refuse to accept responsibility for.

Posted (edited) · Remove default material

On Linux try /home/<user>/.config/cura/4.x/cura.cfg

Edited by bhlevca

Also for custom materials ~/.local/share/cura/4.x/materials

Unless there's something new with cura, this does not work.  Cura is now packaged as am AppImage for linux.  This means that it does not use the filesystem of the host computer - it has its own filesystem burned into the appimage and this can't be changed without significant effort.  All that's stored locally are filaments you add.   

I have a plugin that will let you "remove" all but the generic materials. It does not actually remove them (since the plugin can not "write" to the program resources), but stops them from loading. The plugin is awaiting approval for inclusion in the Marketplace, but you can help me test it here:

Now the plugin is in the marketplace and it works great, removing all the material-clutter. Thank you very much ahoeben!

• Like 1