How to monitor Octoprint from Cura

Prr0

Posted (edited) · How to monitor Octoprint from Cura

Hi all,

I read that Cura 2.6.1 can monitor Octoprint, but can't find a document on how to do it, did someone already try to monitor Octoprint from Cura 2.6.1?, or send me the link to the document on how to doit.

Thanks Community

Edited by Guest

Posted · How to monitor Octoprint from Cura

I wrote the plugin you have read about.

In the sidebar, click on the name of your printer, and choose 'Manage Printers...' from the dropdown. Or open the Preferences window and navigate to the Printers pane. Once there, click on the 'Connect to OctoPrint' button.

In the window that pops up, with a bit of luck, you can select your OctoPrint instance. Before you press the Connect button, make sure you enter the API code. You can look this up in the OctoPrint webinterface (in the settings window)

I just set mine up.

Followed the video on the octoprint download page.to set up my raspberry pi.

I used the Pi camera with a long cable.

I had a bit of trouble with the API, I found it's best to scan the barcode with your phone and use the number that shows as on my computer I couldn't see all of the numbers in the code.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Follow your instruction and is working just fine, Thank!!

I wrote the plugin you have read about.

In the sidebar, click on the name of your printer, and choose 'Manage Printers...' from the dropdown. Or open the Preferences window and navigate to the Printers pane. Once there, click on the 'Connect to OctoPrint' button.

In the window that pops up, with a bit of luck, you can select your OctoPrint instance. Before you press the Connect button, make sure you enter the API code. You can look this up in the OctoPrint webinterface (in the settings window)

Thank you Labern for your time, I follow the ahornen instructions and work first try

I just set mine up.

Followed the video on the octoprint download page.to set up my raspberry pi.

I used the Pi camera with a long cable.

I had a bit of trouble with the API, I found it's best to scan the barcode with your phone and use the number that shows as on my computer I couldn't see all of the numbers in the code.

I bought a Raspberry Pi, installed the latest Octoprint and gave this a try

Task one, seeing the video feed...great!

Now, how does one properly configure Octoprint to the Ultimaker 2+? Do any settings need to be made within OctoPrint?

octo-settings.thumb.JPG.b57aa438e9a76cf6604ecc9d5dab52d5.JPG

I tried the "Print with Octoprint" and immediately the nozzle went straight to the build plate and tried printing.  However is was way off center and didn't even prime the nozzle.  

This almost works!  I just need a few steps to do so!

Edited by Guest

I did not change any of the settings in octoprint.

Did you set your printer gcode flavor to RepRap in CURA machine settings?

One issue I am having, The Start Gcode works fine and it will print but if I need to abort the print it doesn't Home the head or anything. It will just sit in place.

Also, you cannot tune any settings on the actual printer as it just displays Printing with USB.

I'm not sure what else to try.

If I sent a print to the OctoPrint option, once the temperatures are met, the bed immediately comes up and prints. The print head does not home, the print head does not prime, etc.

That's why I am wondering if I am missing a configuration with the plugin or on Octoprint itself

I am hoping @ahoeben can clarify this. Because once the USB cord is plugged in, you have no way to halt a bad print on the printer itself. It's all via Cura/Octoprint at that point

I do have the camera view working!

You have not answered the question if you set the gcode flavor to Reprap (Marlin/Sprinter).

When you've set your gcode flavor to Reprap (Marlin/Sprinter), then your start code should look something like this:

G21 ;metric values
    G90 ;absolute positioning
    M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode
    M107 ;start with the fan off
    G28 Z0 ;move Z to bottom endstops
    G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to endstops
    G1 X15 Y0 F4000 ;move X/Y to front of printer
    G1 Z15.0 F9000 ;move the platform to 15mm
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
    G1 F200 E20 ;extrude 10 mm of feed stock
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again
    G1 F9000
    M117 Printing...

Okay, let me re-phrase my question...or perhaps, let me ask it this way...

The Cura release notes showed support for Octoprint and the only "directions" shown to make it work is to find Octoprint in the Manage Printers option and find the API key from Octoprint.

Those have been the only instructions provided so far.

If there are additional steps, as you are indicating, it would be IMMENSELY HELPFUL for many of us to know what those are. :)

I know Cura is a vastly changing product but I don't think it's too much to ask for there to be some documentation available so anyone can make use of these new features.

Thanks!

The only thing I found on the web about getting an Octoprint and an Ultimaker 2 printing was this link

http://daniepstein.com/daniepstein/octoprint-and-the-ultimaker-2/

He shows a start and end gcode

It's a post from 2015. Would those work?

If there are additional steps, as you are indicating, it would be IMMENSELY HELPFUL for many of us to know what those are.    :)

IMHO the additional steps are documented for Octoprint, not for Cura. I would first take sure, that Octoprint itself controls the printer in the right way (there are a lot of possible scripts and settings in Octoprint). Perhaps the Cura documentation should mention, that one should configure Octoprint first - there's no reason to connect Cura to an Octoprint installation, that does not work properly... :)

• Like 1

Well that's where the conflict seems to be, some say don't touch Octo once running, some say I have to add things. It would be great if we really knew what to do!

I mean this OctoPrint add-in could give an Ultimaker Original/Ultimaker 2/2+ the same capability as the Ultimaker 3 has.

I'm just asking those that know to please share how. I imagine if we make it easy to setup, many would enjoy this new addition :)

It is easier to help you if you answer the questions we ask you, instead of reiterating what you said before.

Did you change your gcode flavor to Reprap (Marlin/Sprinter)? Does your start gcode resemble the snippet I posted above?

• Like 1

No, I have not changed the gcode flavor...where would one do that?

I do not have any start gcode inserted into the Octoprint

It would be very helpful, as the author of a plugin, if you told the users what should be entered and where. But, that's just my suggestion, as someone or does technical documentation for a living. :)

When you are setting up the Octoprint settings in CURA it prompts you to change the flavor to reprap or it won't work.

Yes it would be nice to have a set up guide.

It was mentioned in 2.6 beta that you don't need to set up Octoprint. All the settings are sent from CURA. I would set it up to auto connect though so you don't need to enter Octoprint to connect it to the printer.

You change the flavor in configure machine in cura.

There are 2 reprap options. I just selected reprap marlin. As I said above it prompts you to change this when entering the Octoprint connection settings in CURA.

• Like 1

A guide would be immensely helpful, because I keep hearing how "Easy" it is but we're both trying to configure this correctly! :)

I found the settings you speak of...also curious what to select

Capture.thumb.JPG.1cd701ae7a9c31cec63be6e74de57aae.JPG

Again my impression with this Plug-In was it was once you connect it to your OctoPrint server, give it the API key, you were set to go.

The GitHub didn't have much for additional info...

"[OctoPrint Plugin](https://github.com/fieldofview/OctoPrintPlugin): Send printjobs directly to OctoPrint and monitor their progress in Cura."

If I had the answers, I would love to piece together a tutorial so others can take advantage of this tool!

When you are setting up the Octoprint settings in CURA it prompts you to change the flavor to reprap or it won't work.

Hi Labern, I never got a prompt on my install (latest Cura etc)

It's not a pop up message. Just shows under one of the text fields I think when entering the API or something. Can't check now, not at computer.

Untitled-1.thumb.png.122c0816ac655a3611d08fe2d5e7da9c.png

I shall try to make it blink for Cura 2.7.

(No, not really)

• Like 2

Again my impression with this Plug-In was it was once you connect it to your OctoPrint server, give it the API key, you were set to go.

Which is true, for all printers except the Ultimaker 2(+). Please don't expect me to fix all problems left by Ultimaker. USB printing with the Ultimaker 2(+) has fundamental issues (the concept of Ultigcode), and even though you put a raspberry pi inbetween, you are still printing over USB.

I appreciate feedback, and will keep improving the plugin (time permitting). But please realise that I am just one user of Cura, and all the time I put towards improving Cura (and supporting users on the forum) does not net me a single dime.

• Like 3