UM3 spool size for 1KG (~6cm thickness)

Posted · UM3 spool size for 1KG (~6cm thickness)

Is the hole bigger or the width will not fit the adapter with threading holes (That hole at the bottom of the arm with the smooth, white inserts).

If the hole is bigger, just put it on the spool holder and it will just roll. There is a 'lip' that will keep it from falling off.

If the width (From front to back, not in diameter) of the roll is too large for the adapter to fit into, then just put it on the spool holder as above.

In both cases, (I have some filament for which the spool is too wide for the adapter) I just put the spool on the spool holder and thread the filament through the holes in the adapter and just let it hang. Gravity will do its job there for the most part. Worst case, you may have to tape it down to keep it from rising up to the feeder.

I have adapted the spool holder with a piece for the smaller hole spools like Taulman's, but have not played with the printing of an adapted spool holder for the wider spools.

Is the hole bigger or the width will not fit the adapter with threading holes (That hole at the bottom of the arm with the smooth, white inserts).

If the hole is bigger, just put it on the spool holder and it will just roll. There is a 'lip' that will keep it from falling off.

If the width (From front to back, not in diameter) of the roll is too large for the adapter to fit into, then just put it on the spool holder as above.

In both cases, (I have some filament for which the spool is too wide for the adapter) I just put the spool on the spool holder and thread the filament through the holes in the adapter and just let it hang. Gravity will do its job there for the most part. Worst case, you may have to tape it down to keep it from rising up to the feeder.

I have adapted the spool holder with a piece for the smaller hole spools like Taulman's, but have not played with the printing of an adapted spool holder for the wider spools.

I use filament spool with a larger "tunnel distance" from front to back in the hole.

However the hole size in diameter just about right to fit into it, being a little too tight.

So it's feels like it's gonna break any time.

That is why I never use the adapter with threader when using large spools. It fits ok on the main spool holder. I just let the adapter dangle with the filament threaded. The threading helps keep it from pulling at too sharp an angle and binding on itself. The spool should not fall off the main spool rod as it has that 'lip' as well as being pulled towards the printer itself naturally.

I just have not gotten around to making a new spool adapter for large spools. Mainly because, eventually, I will make a dry box to feed the filaments and it will vastly change the dynamics of the spooling actions.

If you want a copy of the current spool adapter as included to make your own adjustments and such, go here.