Cura 2.5 created a new printer when I open a project

Pixopaxo

Posted · Cura 2.5 created a new printer when I open a project

Hi, everytime I open a project (*.3mf-File) Cura creates a new printer in the settings with the same name but a '#[number]' behind the name..

I now have 17 printers there, all copies of my original printer :-(

How can I prevent this?

I did, its still the same.

I deleted all printers with "#", and reopened a project file.

It asks if it should update the material or create a new one.

I chose "update" (which is bad..) and then it creates a new printer again.

Really annoying.

Also, it should open the project with the settings as in the project and leave my material settings for the printer alone. Sometimes I tweak settings for a specific project, I do not want these to enter as default settings in my materials.

Now it creates a new printer and changed the material settings to those in the project. so opening an old project messes up the material settings.

If I chose to create a new material I get a copy of that in my printer setting. So then the material is there twice.

I guess there is a serious glitch in the settings management. I know that from some other projects done with Visual Studio, that can mess up things quite a lot.

For me it created 3x the same printer upon installation already...

Nope, I can't explain this. I also can't reproduce this :(

Can any of you post logs & project files?

Nope, I can't explain this. I also can't reproduce this :(

Can any of you post logs & project files?

I will PM you with a link a bit later as I keep deleting them and not sure which files do this. I just notice after a few are created.

Oh, and before I started to delete them, it would name the project UM3E#x. It as if it is saving a state of the machine. If I change the project printer, it goes back to the previous settings.

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.5 created a new printer when I open a project

I have total chaos here now, several printers here, also several different settings, it keeps overwriting my material settings.

I now have plain old paper with my favorite settings, which I check every time I create gcode...

Where are the log files from Cura?

curamess.jpg.abf7ea94b1d92394d75bcd8bf5e75f6f.jpg

curamess.jpg.abf7ea94b1d92394d75bcd8bf5e75f6f.jpg

Edited by Guest

Here is the folder in appdata:

curamess21.jpg.85cc80a5b765684f4c330fcfb3215b07.jpg

And the Materials it constantly copies:

curamess22.jpg.1360b27098bcd1da747399ceb790577f.jpg

Oh, and I found the Log, its 51MB large :-o

I created a new one, startes Cura up and loaded a project file.

Here you go, seems to me a problem with the serialisation of settings with VisualStudio, common problem, which I also have on some other projects.

DEBUG - UM.Settings.ContainerStack.getVersionFromSerialized [313]: Could not get version from serialized: 'machine'

You can download it from

www.rocketronics.de/download/cura.log.zip

curamess21.jpg.85cc80a5b765684f4c330fcfb3215b07.jpg

curamess22.jpg.1360b27098bcd1da747399ceb790577f.jpg

Edited by Guest

Here is a visual track. At least Pixopaxo above this post is more knowledgeable than I.

1_LoadProject.jpg

2_LoadNewProject.jpg

3_NewMachineNumberAdded.jpg

4_SwitchMachines_SwitchesStates.jpg

5_ClearBuildPlateOnBaseMachine.jpg

6_OriginalFileNowAdsNewMachine.jpg

I keep deleting them, but they keep coming back...the Michael Corleone of 3D Printing.... :p

FYI: I uninstalled everything, deleted all cura related folders from my HDD, after reinstall it shows the same behaviour.

Every project opening creates a new printer instance.

FYI: I uninstalled everything, deleted all cura related folders from my HDD, after reinstall it shows the same behaviour.

Every project opening creates a new printer instance.

Just curious, have you tried to keep one file loaded (Like in my image 4) and change machines? Does it switch to the previous machine state, i.e. load materials and settings for that machine?

We just looked into it. It happens if you load a 2.5 project into 2.6 and then load a 2.6 project and the machine in the project is a multi extrusion machine.

We had an issue with 2.5 where the internal name of the extruders was weird (eg; id of the machine was ultimaker3, the extruder name would be ultimaker3_extruder_left #2). This was changed for 2.6, but it appearantly messes up the project loading.

As it's caused by a old version (which we can't retroactively change), there is no 100% fix for this.

• Like 1

We just looked into it. It happens if you load a 2.5 project into 2.6 and then load a 2.6 project and the machine in the project is a multi extrusion machine.

We had an issue with 2.5 where the internal name of the extruders was weird (eg; id of the machine was ultimaker3, the extruder name would be ultimaker3_extruder_left #2). This was changed for 2.6, but it appearantly messes up the project loading.

As it's caused by a old version (which we can't retroactively change), there is no 100% fix for this.

"Ah HA!!", He exclaimed while petting his white cat fiendishly.

Edit: Scratch anything below bad "Austin Powers" visual above. Until I can replicate a new issue properly and track it directly, it does not merit attention.........

Edited by Guest

Sorry, but I removed everything from cura and reinstalled 2.6.2.

Then I created a new project, saved it, loaded it again, et voila, another printer in the settings... So its not only with old projects.

I will have to say that it  has not happened with new projects for me unless an old one has been opened first and the program is left running.

Since it was not happening all the time (As mentioned, only when old projects are opened) it was a bit disconnected in  me wee lil' brain.

But when I did a series of opens and closes with a purpose, and then actually took into account Nallath's account, it did work as explained.

But, only if it was a fresh run of the program and had only created new, or used 2.6.x, files. Consistently did it during a run  starting from the older files and no restart of the program. And, I had cleaned out the extra machines---that seemed to have sway in things.

Edited by Guest

Not for me, I open it, load a file saved with 2.6.2 and it creates a new printer.

Even if I reinstall everything, select a printer on setup, load a stl-file, save it as project, reopen that project right after that it creates a new printer.

No way to prevent that here.

OK, I found a glitch in the process.

Assuming that you are in Cura and your settings are one way. An example would be that I have two slightly different project files. One is for the base of a lamp (thicker walls, more top and bottom layers, etc. to make it heavier/sturdier) and one that is the same material for the top part of the lamp, but 2 walls, not three, and much less infill for transparency and top is less layers than bottom.

If I open one project file and then the other, it starts adding machines (Same material, different settings as mentioned). But if I just choose a different material and discard the personal settings, it will open just fine by asking if I want to update or create new. I even "start new project" on one and it keeps the same material, just sets everything back to normal/default settings. If I open a project with the same material, it will not ask to update, but adds a machine.

If I open different sets of profiles that are different materials and such, it will ask if I want to update existing or create new and not add new machines if I choose update. This is what I did before and it seemed to be working. But I was going from one type of material project to another. Even color of material made a difference as it asked to keep or discard settings when changing color of PLA, but keeping the personal settings. Even if I keep or discard changes upon selecting the material, it will not create a new machine if the material choice is different from current settings to opened project.

Bottom line, it seems to be something that is locked into material and not anything else I have discovered so far.

And, this time, my test files were all created in 2.6.2 and did not load older projects. I have not tested the older projects with the material issues to see if that is the culprit completely, but wanted to get this much out so far.

Edited by Guest

I gave it a new try, but could never open any project without having a new printer afterwards. I creates a new project, copied and renamed it in windows explorer, so it is 100% identical to all other settings. No help, new printer was there afterwards.

Also it does not matter if I choose "Update existing" or "Create new" for the material.

BTW, I do not understand why one should want to have the machine settings for a material changed when I open a project, and why a new material should be created. I often use special settings for a certain project, these are for that project only. I do not want Cura to copy these settings to my default material settings.

Also, if it always creates a new material when I open a project, I end up in having 100s materials in my library. Why isn't it possible to just work with the project settings and leave everything as it is?

This way it is like you have your MS Word settings changed every time you open a .doc file.

I went back and double checked the procedure I outlined and it is working for me if I just change materials. Not sure why it is not working at all for you.

Using the master branch, I am seeing this. Every time I open a project (freshly created today) it creates a new printer. Not used projects before.

BTW, I do not understand why one should want to have the machine settings for a material changed when I open a project, and why a new material should be created.

Because the material might not exist, or it's values could be different. If you always update the existing, it might mess up other settings (or other work you still had in progress). This is why it asks you what to do with it.

But yea, right now it seems to be messing up a ton of stuff. We're looking into it. We obviously missed a few reproduction cases, so thanks for helping out.

Good news. I found the issue & fixed it. I can't reproduce it anymore. I will ask QA to put some extra testing effort into this.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Like 1

Good news. I found the issue & fixed it. I can't reproduce it anymore. I will ask QA to put some extra testing effort into this.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Way cool :)

And, no worries as it is what it is. Go community!!