Hello from Sao Paulo, Brazil

atelles

Posted · Hello from Sao Paulo, Brazil

I just received my Ultimaker kit + UltiController from DHL.

It was faster than what I expected, I ordered on the 8th, it was shipped on the 22th, and less than 48 hours later it's already at home.

This is my second 3d printer, the first was the Solidoodle 2, and after learning a lot from it (and struggling even more with quality issues), I though it was time to a major upgrade.

I intend to assembly it this weekend, and starting printing / calibrating before Monday.

Now... some questions:

- how to better use this forum Vs the google groups? I prefer to use a real forum like here, but is there some questions that are better to ask on the google groups?

- What tools do you recommend while assembling? So far I have a power screwdriver with 2mm tip, a hex kit and some sandpaper.

This question was just answered:

- Last week I found the v4 instructions on the Wiki, but the v3 was still linked as the official. But Ultimaker updated the link on Friday, and the new instructions are valid for printers shipped from the 15th of April.

Welcome!! I'm sure that you'll find the UM a worthy upgrade. Enjoy the build process, there's nothing too hard about it if you take your time, and having had the experience of a different type of printer before you should have a good grasp of the basic concepts to guide you.

Either here or the google group is fine; you'll find (mostly the same) people in either place to help you. In the past the google group was a replacement for an official forum that had some issues.... but this new forum platform has been in place for a few months now, and seems to work well. If you prefer this format, then certainly post here. The google group is still quite busy, but I think traffic gradually migrating over here, for the most part - and certainly you'll find most big announcements etc on this platform, rather than in the google group these days. But I'd keep an eye on the google group too, just in case someone has something interesting to say over there :smile:

It's been a year since I assembled mine - but I don't recall needing anything too complicated. I used a Dremel with a sanding wheel to open out a couple of holes, and a hex bit attachment for my power screwdriver saved some time. But that was about it.

If you want to paint or stain your printer (and it does make it look a lot nicer) I'd definitely do that before you start assembly.

Thanks illuminarti, I've forgotten about painting!

But my wife and I finished painting last night, and we are now ready to star assembling Saturday morning (if I can resist starting tonight :grin: )