Difference Between Profile and Material during a "Save"

paintz2007

Posted (edited) · Difference Between Profile and Material during a "Save"

So I am a bit stumped, basically I am running two materials either an Inland ABS or a Sain Smart TPU. Of course they both have different everything pretty much to be optimal.

My Question is which setting are saved under Profile and the same for Material?

Currently I fix one. AKA turn off the cooling fan and on supports. But it seems to affect the other material/profile.

I currently have an ABS and TPU profile. Along with an abs and TPU material.

If this is answered someplace else I am totally ok with reading I just can't seem to get the search correct for what i am looking for. :)

BTW printer is a Maker Farm I3V 10" with a 1.75 hexagon and a .4 nozzle.

Cura seems to be the best slicer i have found for TPU and I am slowing weening myself off of Slic3r for abs also.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Difference Between Profile and Material during a "Save"

Are you talking about 2 materials on one print or separate unrelated profiles?

Isn't there a separate cooling setting for left and right cores? I don't know - haven't checked but did you know there is a place in the top right area where you click and suddenly all the settings are shown for the other core. Did you know that?

cura.PNG.8dd1cafc3be1b9b7c51d6b4853d1d0de.PNG

Sorry, I mean what does saving these two things change from the settings? I.E. if I change the print speed which of those saves it, so that I can just recall it prior to starting a new print for that material.

I only have one print head so it is either material running at that time.

• 1 month later...

oh. sorry. This got lost. Well you have so many choices I don't know where to start.

Well you could edit the cura profiles. When you choose those drop downs it combines the profile files. They are under the cura folder. You can edit those and restart cura (restarting is a critical step - cura only reads the files on startup) and choose pla or whatever and you will get the settigns you saved there. This is not recommended because when you upgrade cura you will lose all your work.

You can create your own user profiles. Exactly the same as the existing profile files but put them in %appdata%/cura/ (or maybe %localappdata%/cura I forget). But sometimes the profiles are incompatible with a newer version of cura (they should be fine - it's not likely you'll use a parameter that goes away).

Or you can use "save project". This saves your model *and* all the settings. So you can load that up later and delete the model and put in a new model.

Or you can save your own profiles from within cura. This is probably the easiest.

Or if you rarely change any settings you can just change them in cura and as long as you don't load any new profiles they will get saved.

Which of these many options sounds like what you were looking for?

Posted (edited) · Difference Between Profile and Material during a "Save"
    Or you can use "save project".  This saves your model *and* all the settings.  So you can load that up later and delete the model and put in a new model.

This is the option I am now using as it makes organization sooooo much easier. I also create a dummy file (One with just a simple box) for each major setup so that it loads easier and then clear buildplate and load new model.

Seems to be much easier than digging through a gazillion menu items on the screen. Also, I have run into issues where if I load one of my older profiles it does not allow for switching the layer presets (Fine, Normal, etc). 2.6 did this and is one of the reasons I went to your suggested method. Removes all those issues.

Edited by Guest