Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
pluggedIN

Can't get a good first layer printing with colorFABB economy filament

I have recently taken apart my feeder, and cleaned it, fixed both of my side fans to work, and gave my printbed a light rubbing of rubbing alcohol. I also leveled the printbed. Since doing all things all of my prints have been unrecognizable malformed messes. When I started watching them, they seem to be off from the get-go, first layer is not good.

firstlayer001.thumb.jpg.40bb160bc7b5022f7f176e3b0da2e726.jpg

Settings for this:

• 65 degree printbed
  • 215 degree extruder
  • print speed is 35 mm/s
  • filament is a new spool of colorFABB economy

I've tried doing a few temperature variations without any improvement. I haven't tried glue on the bed, but in the year that I've owned the UM2+, I've previously had great prints without that.

Any suggestions of other things to try?

firstlayer001.thumb.jpg.40bb160bc7b5022f7f176e3b0da2e726.jpg

The blobs might be happening because the nozzle is dragging the blob from the initial priming extrusion into the print. The blob should stick to the bed and be "wiped" off. If that is the cause, you might be able to grab the blob with some tweezers before it messes up your print.

You could also have filament sticking to the nozzle. Wipe the nozzle while it's hot to clean off any excess filament. You could also try applying a small amount of silicone oil to the nozzle periodically to keep filament from sticking.

Regarding the "warp", I think you mean the first layer is lifting off the bed. To fix that, the bed has to be really really clean, or you can try using a thin layer of glue stick spread out with a damp cloth. Try cleaning the bed again, and don't touch it with your bare fingers.

You could also have filament sticking to the nozzle.  Wipe the nozzle while it's hot to clean off any excess filament.  You could also try applying a small amount of silicone oil to the nozzle periodically to keep filament from sticking.

It's not the priming extrusion, that stays where it should be. BUT, it could very well be coming from the nozzle. When this current print is done, I will wipe that off. Thanks for the suggestion!

Regarding the "warp", I think you mean the first layer is lifting off the bed.  To fix that, the bed has to be really really clean, or you can try using a thin layer of glue stick spread out with a damp cloth.  Try cleaning the bed again, and don't touch it with your bare fingers.

Maybe warp was the wrong way to describe it. It's not with the first layer, but the upper layers. If you see that previous picture, you can see most of the diagnol lines, but then they stop for a section at the bottom. That section is the part that is "higher" then the others. Here is a side picture:

CameraZOOM-20170715164041573_1-01.thumb.jpeg.6ffe86a279abd904bf933c461a608858.jpeg

See how it peeks up like a mountain? It should be flat.

If you look at the bottom of that "warped" print, is there evidence that the bottom layer has lifted off the bed? If so, you need to clean your print bed.

If not, it's something else. What are your layer height settings? The initial layer is probably larger than the rest of the layers if you used default Cura settings.