Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
le_avion

Getting very frustrated with Ultimaker 3 Extended with long prints

I can't seem to get a break with this printer and the problems always happen during very long prints which makes it even more painful, so much so that I think I will no longer use the U3e for long prints which is a shame.

In the past I received an error about "Detected move outside of normal printer volume" that corrected itself after a reboot and a lost print and that was supposed to be fixed in later firmware. It was possibly fixed, I don't know.

Then the occasional "I2C communication error" which corrects itself after a reboot and a lost print.

Today after a 40+ hours of printing I find my printer stopped and displaying "PrintCore in head slot 1 is taking too long to warm up". Corrected itself after a reboot and another lost print.

IMG_20170716_075158.thumb.jpg.744f7343901d5cbc49107580c9c87e44.jpg

To add insult to injury, many times when I try to connect to the printer via the app I get the error that the printer isn't connected even though the app has no problem streaming video from the printer. A reboot usually fixes it.

Firmware: 3.7.7.20170627

This is getting ridiculous. I lost any confidence in this printer and I will search for a replacement, one that doesn't cost me so many failed prints. Yes, the Ultimaker 3 is very advanced technologically but with this it seems that the cost is reliability. I'd rather have a less sophisticated but reliable printer instead. For the cost of the U3e I expect much better reliability.

And this is my latest long failed print.

IMG_20170716_081157.thumb.jpg.48a3b6f85446401252565c88662efdbb.jpg

IMG_20170716_075158.thumb.jpg.744f7343901d5cbc49107580c9c87e44.jpg

IMG_20170716_081157.thumb.jpg.48a3b6f85446401252565c88662efdbb.jpg

I'm very sorry to hear this, I feel your pain. This is not normal.

Is the white rubber silicon flap at the bottom of your printhead maybe missing? See this forum topic:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/37150-um3-pausing-between-layers-homing-to-back-right-and-staying-there-until-user-interaction?page=1&amp%3Bsort=

I think you have the same problem as this user, only by now a time-out is built into the firmware to prevent the printer waiting too long and burning the plastic in the hot-end.

If that rubber piece is missing, get a new one with your reseller. If it is not, I'd like to see your logfiles (dump to usb, in the system-maintenance-diagnosis menu).

If you're still willing...

I'm very sorry to hear this, I feel your pain. This is not normal.

Is the white rubber silicon flap at the bottom of your printhead maybe missing? See this forum topic:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/37150-um3-pausing-between-layers-homing-to-back-right-and-staying-there-until-user-interaction?page=1&amp%3Bsort=

I think you have the same problem as this user, only by now a time-out is built into the firmware to prevent the printer waiting too long and burning the plastic in the hot-end.

If that rubber piece is missing, get a new one with your reseller. If it is not, I'd like to see your logfiles (dump to usb, in the system-maintenance-diagnosis menu).

If you're still willing...

I don't think it is the same issue since the printer didn't pause until 40 hours into the print and the silicone flap is in place. Here are some photos of the print head assembly.

IMG_20170716_101016.thumb.jpg.347361b2cc0e923c937cc6ac760a097d.jpg

IMG_20170716_101125.thumb.jpg.686871216d79d37d72e6b13e276dfa3a.jpg

The log files have very little in them probably because I had to power off the printer since I was not able to do anything once the error message was displayed, you get a modal message and that's it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5978e7ecy6b9kje/ultimakersystem-ccbdd3001a3d.3.7.7.20170627.boot0.log.gz?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttj4b1hhlqkyrs0/ultimakersystem-ccbdd3001a3d.3.7.7.20170627.boot-1.log.gz?dl=0

IMG_20170716_101016.thumb.jpg.347361b2cc0e923c937cc6ac760a097d.jpg

IMG_20170716_101125.thumb.jpg.686871216d79d37d72e6b13e276dfa3a.jpg

What is needed is a way to resume a print when one of these catastrophes happen. All the issues I ran into and that I described above were fixed once the printed was restarted and left a perfectly printed but partial model. The firmware should allow to resume the print from where it ran into the problem once restarted. The firmware should save the failure point and it should survive a restart to make it possible to resume the print from that point on. I read recently of a 3D printer that does just that but unfortunately I do not recall the brand.

What is needed is a way to resume a print when one of these catastrophes happen.  All the issues I ran into and that I described above were fixed once the printed was restarted and left a perfectly printed but partial model. The firmware should allow to resume the print from where it ran into the problem once restarted. The firmware should save the failure point and it should survive a restart to make it possible to resume the print from that point on. I read recently of a 3D printer that does just that but unfortunately I do not recall the brand.

While it would be great to be able to resume a failed print where it left off, realistically, it's problematic with an FDM printer like this.

For most materials, the heat of the bed is what holds the print in place. Once the bed has cooled (which can happen depending on what sort of failed print/error you have), the print can either come off the bed altogether or be sufficiently loosened from it that if you tried to resume the print, the print just wouldn't stay adhered to the bed and you'd end up with a printing mess.

I have put this idea of "resuming" on our backlog list. I see possibilities, but it will have be be studied. Also, the backlog is full of good ideas, so can't promise anything.

Thank you.

The bigger issue/question is why am I running into so many issues, all when printing large objects.

"Detected move outside of normal printer volume" was an acknowledged bug that supposedly was fixed in later firmware.

"I2C communication error" and "PrintCore in head slot 1 is taking too long to warm up" have not been acknowledged yet as a bug but I think they are. First because a restart resolved both issues, at least for now. Also the PrintCore warming issue sounds very strange since it was a single material print (i.e. no PrintCore switching and no need to cool/rewarm it) and happened after about 40 hours.

What is needed is a way to resume a print when one of these catastrophes happen.

For most materials, the heat of the bed is what holds the print in place. Once the bed has cooled (which can happen depending on what sort of failed print/error you have), the print can either come off the bed altogether or be sufficiently loosened from it that if you tried to resume the print, the print just wouldn't stay adhered to the bed and you'd end up with a printing mess.

You are right, it's not going to work with all materials but it will work with some.  I print with PETG and ASA and both stay put even on a cold bed, especially PETG which needs work to pry it off.

Which brings me to another thought, unrelated to the errors. Has anyone tried to come up with a way to use vacuum/suction to keep an object attached firmly to the bed? At least after the first few layers so as to not suck in melted material? Would this be even possible? Just a thought.

Edited by Guest

@le_avion

Your logfiles are corrupted according to our software engineer.

The error is shown when the printer is waiting for 10 minutes to get the hot-end to setpoint. Really long. It is odd that it does not reach its setpoint.

If you find it interesting, you can check out what's happening in the temperature control loops by checking out /temperature.html, with the from your printer.

If you see this error again, could you try again to dump the logfiles to usb and post them here?

Edited by Guest

@le_avion

If you see this error again, could you try again to dump the logfiles to usb and post them here?

If it happens again I will try to get the logs remotely via the Jedi API before I restart the printer because this may have been the reason the logs are corrupt. Once the error is displayed I cannot move out of the error message to dump the logs. Maybe a future enhancement would be to dump the logs automatically to the flash drive when a fatal error occurs.

The log files are stored on non-volatile Flash memory. But, we see that the attached log files are mostly empty and lack the details we want to see.

Technical answer: most likely the power cycling caused the journaling file system to execute a roll back.

I like the suggestion for automatic storing the log files to USB drive in case of a critical error. We added this to our list of desired UM3 features.

Several I2C communication problems were fixed in firmware v3.6 and v3.7. All known I2C problems have been squashed, let's hope that's all.