Presenting Tom, during our first AMA

SandervG

Posted (edited) · Presenting Tom, during our first AMA

Next week we will host our very first ‘Ask Me Anything’. Mark July 26th in your agenda, at 4:30pm (CEST) you have a one hour time window to ask us anything! It will be hosted here on our forums.

Just in case you are not familiar with the concept, during an ‘AMA/Ask Me Anything’ someone steps forward for a certain amount of time ready to answer any question you might fire. Usually, this person has a specific level of expertise or story which is interesting to know more about.

Our first person to step forward is Tom Heijmans, one of our expert Material Engineers. Tom has worked for Ultimaker for 3 years already and has played a role in many of the Ultimaker products we all use regularly. Tom started in 2015 working on PVA. His graduation project evolved around producing and 3D printing carbon nanotubes, and graphene filled materials (for electrical conductivity). Other responsibilities Tom joyfully carried; the first print profiles for the Ultimaker 3 and everything PVA related. Putting together 3D print profiles also include determining the best nozzle geometry, Cura features and supplying values for all settings used in Cura.

Given Tom’s expertise it would make sense to ask anything about printing profiles, material settings/features in Cura or our materials. Why is ABS (still) popular? Ever wondered what our material team is up to or how to start putting together a printing profile from scratch?? Always wanted a glance within Ultimaker? Ask Tom what it is like to work here.

Tom will do his best to answer everything!

I do feel obliged to mention, despite the fact it is called an ‘Ask Me Anything’, we are bound by Ultimaker policy to keep a tight lip regarding future products. Hope you understand!

Next week, July 26th. 4:30PM (CEST). Bookmark this link!  

Tip; open the link and click 'follow'. You'll receive notifications when there are new posts.

Feel free to leave any comments who you would like to see next time, or what topic it should be!

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

Posted · Presenting Tom, during our first AMA

Very nice idea, thanks for organizing it!

One tip in order to keep the deadline - just open the link Sander posted and click on "Follow" on the top right. Then you will be notified of any new posts there.

Very nice idea, thanks for organizing it!

One tip in order to keep the deadline - just open the link Sander posted and click on "Follow" on the top right. Then you will be notified of any new posts there.

Good point, I'll include it in the post :)

Quick reminder, tomorrow is our first Ask Me Anything! Is there anything you want to know (about our materials?), tomorrow is our Material Engineer Tom Heijmans available for all your questions :)

I guess when I think of 'Ask Me Anything', the last thing on my mind is filaments ....it's... new products in the works? Is that fair game?

Posted (edited) · Presenting Tom, during our first AMA

Something something Rampart.

ha..ha :p There are a lot of people walking around at Ultimaker with a variety of expertise and knowledge. There is a small chance you would ever find yourself in a opportunity to talk to them, that is what I want to create now. Every AMA has a theme, no?

First person who I thought was interesting to talk to was Tom, our materials engineer. Next could maybe be someone from our software team, or hardware, or I understood Q&A was also considered interesting.

If you have an idea who you would like to ask questions next, let me know and I'll see what I can arrange. We are open to suggestions.

Feel free to ask anything, we will answer whatever we can :)

Edited by Guest

I have a question, i recently discussed with someone who is using PP at his work, he told me it's possible to weld PP parts together (like you do for metal). He was very interested in the new PP filament from UM, and asked me if it would be possible to do it with printed parts.

Also is it possible in the future to have different colors for PP ?

• Like 1

I have opened up the thread where Tom will be answering the questions.

If you already have some, feel free and go ahead to post them here

Something something Rampart.

ha..ha :p There are a lot of people walking around at Ultimaker with a variety of expertise and knowledge. There is a small chance you would ever find yourself in a opportunity to talk to them, that is what I want to create now. Every AMA has a theme, no?

Bribes help outside of the AMA ;)