July 26 4.30pm CEST. 'I'm a Material Engineer at Ultimaker for 3 years. AMA'.

SandervG

Posted · July 26 4.30pm CEST. 'I'm a Material Engineer at Ultimaker for 3 years. AMA'.

This is another question which I have seen a couple of times;

'What would you think of an engineering-profile, which is very bare boned and straight forward regarding printing speeds, temperature, jerk and acceleration? It does whichever command you give it, and decent surface quality is not the most important outcome? (Strong and dimensionally accurate being the goals). ?'

We want to do this, but we want to implement this in a nice way. Like a toggle in the ‘Recommended’ mode of Cura that just turns the fan lower, the printing temperature up and evens out the speeds. For dimensional accuracy we would also try to compensate using the horizontal expansion, but this is different per material. I’m worried that it would be a lot more work to also do this for dual extrusion...

• Like 2

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted · July 26 4.30pm CEST. 'I'm a Material Engineer at Ultimaker for 3 years. AMA'.

Any test done around giving um2 a PVA nozzle? Since it is a nice candidate to use it for molds (high temp silicon) that you can single extrude it and water sink them to get a nice and clean mold than can be used with hightemp materials (low temp liquid metals, and other non adhesive materials). For example jewelry.

The first #UltimakerAMA is officially over, @TomHe will answer all open question and possible follow-up questions that might surface.

Thank you all for your questions, hopefully, you found it interesting and let me know who you would like to talk to next :) With your input we can make it better and more interesting!

• Like 1

'What would you think of an engineering-profile, which is very bare boned and straight forward regarding printing speeds, temperature, jerk and acceleration? It does whichever command you give it, and decent surface quality is not the most important outcome? (Strong and dimensionally accurate being the goals). ?'

We want to do this, but we want to implement this in a nice way. Like a toggle in the ‘Recommended’ mode of Cura that just turns the fan lower, the printing temperature up and evens out the speeds. For dimensional accuracy we would also try to compensate using the horizontal expansion, but this is different per material. I’m worried that it would be a lot more work to also do this for dual extrusion...

But that would just require to the user to use UM tag materials (UM could tun basic tests). The problem I see, is that low jerk/accel tricks to make all beautiful can/and do, make external errors on curves to compensate the ringing and heavier head of the um3 system.

Any test done around giving um2 a PVA nozzle? Since it is a nice candidate to use it for molds (high temp silicon) that you can single extrude it and water sink them to get a nice and clean mold than can be used with hightemp materials (low temp liquid metals, and other non adhesive materials). For example jewelry.

I've played with PVA on the UM2 with special nozzles, but the feeder has a hard time feeding the material. Olsson block nozzles can easily print PVA, so I recommend doing it on a UM2+ (or at least change out the nozzle).

Students at TU Delft already played with this concept:

• Like 2

Oh, my bad.. @TomHe also really wanted to show his most favorite print, so @TomHe.. what is your most favorite 3Dprint? ;)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:356037

I printed this over half a year before the UM3 was released, finally showing off the capabilities of PVA. The model has really big tolerances (probably because it was designed for another printer), but it still works and has great details in the middle of the ‘ball’. The first and second time I’ve printed it, the print got stolen (I did see one in a picture from our US office), so these two will stay behind a lock:

5a333d5f8ea61_WhatsAppImage2017-07-26at11_21_51.thumb.jpeg.5d87db3e51e56e8435e3962a7662f358.jpeg

• Like 1

We want to do this, but we want to implement this in a nice way. Like a toggle in the ‘Recommended’ mode of Cura that just turns the fan lower, the printing temperature up and evens out the speeds. For dimensional accuracy we would also try to compensate using the horizontal expansion, but this is different per material.  I’m worried that it would be a lot more work to also do this for dual extrusion...

But that would just require to the user to use UM tag materials (UM could tun basic tests). The problem I see, is that low jerk/accel tricks to make all beautiful can/and do, make external errors on curves to compensate the ringing and heavier head of the um3 system.

Our profiles are made with our materials, but some of the behavior is specific to the polymer type used. The profiles can be used as a starting point if you want to tune your own materials.

The jerk could be increased, as ringing isn't as much as an issue, while you want your curves and corners to be printed precisely.

• Like 1

I had a last minute appointment and could not be here on time. BUT! I see that my questions would have been redundant. Sorry for missing this. :( I really wanted to be here, but, duty called. I am glad that it is up for everybody to read though :) Thanks for everybody taking time to do this!

• Like 1

Having hard time with printing PVA for support. What material does PVA bond with best?

It seems to bond best to Nylon and TPU’s, but with Cura 2.6 bonding to PLA is much more reliable for me as well. CPE is possible as well now we have the Cura 2.6 new features. For me it works best if I first clean the nozzles (outside part), and do a good bed levelling and XY calibration before I do a long/challenging print.

What about ASA, my currently favorite material?

Ah missed the window....but if he can respond...

What's the secret to good prints with Ultimaker Polycarbonate? (PC)

My basic prints are OK but supports and bridging is very poor using the profile in Cura on my Ultimaker 2+

I did have one question that was not answered: What are the recyclabilities of the Filaments? Are there places to take filaments or types of plastics? I know to use a lot of my pieces as either greebles or such, but I do have a lot that can be just junked.

Hey @le_avion, @kmanstudios, @neotko and @lepaul, we decided upon 4:30pm/5ish as this is usually considered a 'prime-time' on the forums, sorry it seems like you have missed it. Seems like 3 out of the 4 of you guys are from the US.

What time would have been better for you? I am trying to find a slot that works best for both EU and US and with your feedback I could reconsider the time for the next AMA.

Btw, do you have a preference of who you would like to be able to ask questions to next?

Thanks!

Having hard time with printing PVA for support. What material does PVA bond with best?

It seems to bond best to Nylon and TPU’s, but with Cura 2.6 bonding to PLA is much more reliable for me as well. CPE is possible as well now we have the Cura 2.6 new features. For me it works best if I first clean the nozzles (outside part), and do a good bed levelling and XY calibration before I do a long/challenging print.

I haven't looked into ASA yet, but I do know that the lack of of Butadiene makes it more UV stable. From what I understood, it's like ABS but more rigid. Why is it your favorite material?

ABS often sticks to PVA while printing the model, and PVA can stick to ABS. But after dissolving the parts often started warping for me. And if the part had a really bad tendency to warp, it warped off the PVA during the print. I think ASA could stick better to PVA due to the chemistry, but I don't know how much it warps.

Ah missed the window....but if he can respond...

What's the secret to good prints with Ultimaker Polycarbonate?  (PC)

My basic prints are OK but supports and bridging is very poor using the profile in Cura on my Ultimaker 2+

PC can be hard to print well, especially with big overhangs and organic shapes. I like to print mechanical/engineering parts at 0.15mm layer height, because you get details and less warping and cracking. Enclosing the printer and preheating the bed to 110C helps as well. Bridging is hard with PC... Maybe you can increase top/bottom speed a bit and use support interface? Depends a bit on the model shape what would work best (which is the annoying part of making profiles...).

I did have one question that was not answered: What are the recyclabilities of the Filaments? Are there places to take filaments or types of plastics? I know to use a lot of my pieces as either greebles or such, but I do have a lot that can be just junked.

PP, PE, PVC, PS and PET are by far the most used plastics at the moment. So the big focus for recycling plastics is mainly on these materials (although PVC is messy). These are not typical 3D printing materials... And on top of that, 3D printing materials often have additives like pigments, which make recycling even harder. You could recycle plastics yourself by using a filament extruder, but these are expensive.

In the Netherlands we have a bag for recyclables that get's picked up or can be dropped off for recycling. I would put PETG and PP prints in the bag, but I know that it's very expensive to recycle plastics and most likely they will be burned for electricity anyway.

I think the 3D printing material market has to grow a lot before recycling materials becomes interesting, especially if you compare it to the use of plastics for packaging.

Posted (edited) · July 26 4.30pm CEST. 'I'm a Material Engineer at Ultimaker for 3 years. AMA'.

Hey @le_avion, @kmanstudios, @neotko and @lepaul, we decided upon 4:30pm/5ish as this is usually considered a 'prime-time' on the forums, sorry it seems like you have missed it. Seems like 3 out of the 4 of you guys are from the US.

What time would have been better for you? I am trying to find a slot that works best for both EU and US and with your feedback I could reconsider the time for the next AMA.

Btw, do you have a preference of who you would like to be able to ask questions to next?

Thanks!

Thanks for the opportunity to do this AMA, I enjoyed it! This will be the last question I answer in this thread, I will be leaving for holidays :)(but you'll find me back on the forum in around two weeks).

I would be interested in an AMA with a member of the Cura Software team, for questions like :

- How many people outside of Ultimaker are working on Cura?

- How do you decide which contributions from outside Ultimaker are used and which aren't?

- Are there any new infill patterns that you would like to create/add?

- Are you already getting tired of me breaking your software?

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

Thanks!

Well, it is hard for me to say about times as I do not have a stable schedule at this time. I am so "Non-24" it ain't funny. The life of an independent contract artist/whatever I am at this moment. I just dropped the ball to let you know I had a conflict of times arise. I also reversed the time difference, thinking 10:30PM instead of AM. Duhhhhh...

But I would enjoy the next team member to have an AMA would be someone with the development department on the engineering side....the people who have to figure build sizes, materials included, shielding and such.

Mi dos centos (I hope that is correct....Too lazy at 5:30 AM to google translate).

And, thanks for the answer on the recyclables. I have thought of investing in a real 'Struder' machine and not one of the cheap ones as I am really feeling the need for accuracy on diameter. Plus, as an old hippy(ish) person, I do feel a responsibility to not be wasteful.

And happy holiday!! and thanks for taking the time :) I learned a lot from other, more experienced people as well as people just looking outside of things from my limited perspective. :) Kudosities all around!!

What feature are you (in your opinion) in need of most in Cura?

I really need Cura to know if I'm going to print single or dual extrusion on the UM3,

Interesting, I would have thought bridge detection and speed/cooling settings for bridging.

let me know who you would like to talk to next :)

I am biased, but someone from the Cura team?

I have "some" inside knowledge, but I think it could be enlightening for the community to hear about Cura development. How are features decided on? What happens when you report a bug? How can I motivate you to fix the bug that I found? What makes bugs hard to fix? What feature(s) do you envy from another slicer? Where do you see the most interesting development in slicers? What are the best and worst things of Cura being open source? I could go on with questions for a while.

• Like 1

I really need Cura to know if I'm going to print single or dual extrusion on the UM3,

Interesting, I would have thought bridge detection and speed/cooling settings for bridging.

Maybe my approach is wrong, but I thought that by, for example, having two models to print, and they are only using the one extruder, it knows by default that it is only a one extruder print.

By choosing to not specifically use two extruders, it defaulted to just the one and required using supports (BB Core on Extruder 2) , Brims and such specified for the other extruder, or two color by using model specific settings the machine would then choose to use multiple extruders.

That would be great, but printing a bottom layer/bridge on top of PVA should be done differently than printing one in the air/on normal supports. We could maybe do this with resolve functions, but it would be great to have a 'smarter' system.

Preferred times? Well since we have a 6 hour time differences from The Netherlands to East Coast United States, that would be difficult. If you opted for an evening session, which would make it later in the day here, that would work for me!

I haven't looked into ASA yet, but I do know that the lack of of Butadiene makes it more UV stable. From what I understood, it's like ABS but more rigid. Why is it your favorite material?

ASA doesn't release the toxic fumes that ABS releases and warping is a much less of an issue than with ABS. Layer adhesion is fantastic and I really like the matte finish. Overall I find it to be a very easy material to 3D print with.