Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
kmanstudios

How to get rid of Spiralize Z-Scar?

I have been printing with my brand, spanking, new 0.8 AA core and tried the spiralize feature for the first time and am getting a bad Z-Scar. It is like it does not spiralize, but instead, does a layer, then kicks up a layer. Retraction is off.

Printing slightly hotter (varies by filament type) to make it flow and settle a bit as well as slower speeds. About 20MM/s with a bit more flow percentage to keep it going smoothly, no dragging.

I took the same model into S3D and tried the same model with their Vase mode and it worked A-OK.

I am using that comparison to eliminate the model as an issue.

I also went in and did prints with just one wall thickness and did not have such a severe issue.

I will be posting prints by tomorrow evening Brooklyn time to show differences.

Been trying Faberdashery (first time with that) based off Erin @ fbrc8's and Illuminarti's advice and success with their filaments. Been pleased with that. Now doing the same with T-Glase and it is the same model over and over and over LOL But, it does show differences.

Oddly, the 'ribbing' on the large nozzle size print is kinda cool looking as it gives a neat shimmery effect. But it really makes that Z-Scar show up badly.

On a side note, I noticed something I did not care for in Spiralize: It cannot do vertically scalloped tops. It can only do a flat Z Level top no matter what the geometry is. So, it may be single wall prints for the most part anyway, but I do like the Spiralize idea for some future projects.

The latest version of cura should do a very good spiralize without z scar. You must have a setting that's causing it. Can't check the default profiles as I'm not near a PC.... But maybe something like z-hop ? Just open all the settings and search for it.

It would be better if selecting spiralize would auto disable these settings that cause the z scar...

The latest version of cura should do a very good spiralize without z scar. You must have a setting that's causing it. Can't check the default profiles as I'm not near a PC.... But maybe something like z-hop ? Just open all the settings and search for it.

It would be better if selecting spiralize would auto disable these settings that cause the z scar...

Would love to know if z-hop should be on or not or what else could cause it. But, I just set up a file to test in the morning with the z-hop off and all retractions are off as well.

I am with you though, turning on Spiralize should override other settings to be bullet proof. It is a special instance of printing in its own right. I think on the top and bottom should be on. But, I am still learning and this could make things worse.

And, I do have everything unhidden. I cannot work in a software environment unless I can see what all the options are.

If I remember correctly, there's a bug that causes a z-hop if outer wall wipe distance is non-zero and you are using spiralize. I think that was fixed in recent Cura versions but I can't remember exactly when.

We shall find out soon LOL I am just waiting on a print to finish then it is a go for testing that out. :)

new 0.8 AA core and tried the spiralize feature for the first time and am getting a bad Z-Scar

The default Cura profile for this core has "Retract at Layer Change" enabled (it's independent from the "Enable Retraction" switch). You should be able to hear the retraction on every turn. I bet, the z-scar has something to do with that...

• Like 1

Just a quickie before I head out to a busy, busy day:

Thanks to ultiarjan's suggestion (something new to look at) and tinkergnome's clarification, I was able to remove the Z-Scar in spiralize mode. I know I said I would post a pic or two, but I got on a run yesterday printing and creating, it was time to go to bed before I remembered to do so.

Opps......But it does work now. Thanks guys!!