Ultimaker 3 stopped printing after a day

Posted · Ultimaker 3 stopped printing after a day

We got our new Ultimaker 3 Extended. We printed a few short builds and everything was going fine, so we decided to go for a very long and large print, a Eiffel Tower that would barely fit in the bed. We also setup a livestream from the printers camera by having a second computer access the stream and publish that to youtube and we also setup a script on that computer to create a timelapse.

The print should have taken 7 days. But, after about 15 or so hours the printer stopped. We were out of the building but, when we finally got access to it today, 3 days after setting it to print, the screen showed an error about the print having been aborted.

Here is the timelapse video:

Here is the gcode file along with the log files that I got off the printer. I'm not sure what version it was using. When the problem was active, because I updated it today and didn't look.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9iG50m_tfS0akdyeGlHbG5mQW8?usp=sharing

Here is the error message I saw when I looked at the printer today and what the print looked like:

http://imgur.com/a/rrRh0

We got the printer on the 19th of July. The reseller came to us with the printer and helped us set it up. We printed a calibration print, a small wizard DnD mini and a tractor. Then we set the printer to print the eiffel tower, somewhere around 21:00 that night. Not sure when it stopped exactly, but we discovered it by looking at the livestream at 15:00 on the 20th of July.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 stopped printing after a day

I have no idea why that would happen.  That particular error has never happened to me.  However I do suggest you print the version of the eiffel tower that is in 3 pieces.  That is what I did.  They glue together nicely and once it got dropped and I only had to reprint the top third (which is also the fastest to print - only 18 hours for me.

I have had problems with the USB stick the UM supplies where the print stopped part way through and when I checked the file on the USB was corrupt. I started testing the gcode file on the USB everytime I wrote a gcode file to it and I *STILL* got corrupted files later that had been fine. Eventually I changed USB drives and things have been fine since. But I got a different error than you got. But still - check the gcode file - compare it to the version on your hard drive (you did save it, right? If not - that's a good habit).

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Can you exclude someone was manually aborting the print?

That is a good point. Well, we are a robotics club associated with the school. And, the school is on summer break, and no one should be in the class room. But, we can't completely rule it out. But, it is fairly unlikely.

First, update to newer firmware. From the logs I gather you were printing using 3.6.3.20170406.

Latest stable is 3.7.7.20170627

I notice a small issue with the internal database which likely caused the abort of the print.