Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Swissengineer

Smaller size nozzles for UM3??

Hey everyone,

I'm having trouble printing really small pieces with my stock UM3E due to the 0.4mm nozzle...

I know gr5 make some, do you guys have tested it? Is there any other options?

How difficult is to get the right settings for a tiny print?

From what I read it seems that this is not really easy....

What do you guys recommend me?

Thanks for the help!

Lets tag @gr5 to make sure he sees the question.

I am not sure if there is a ready to go profile available for smaller nozzles, but the hard core (third party) works similarly as a print core, in terms of you can just click it in the print head.

I think I read something today where someone was having problems with retractions, I believe it was a smaller nozzle, but I can't find it right now..

The first time I ever tried a .25 it worked fine. Go with thinner layers (.1mm max) and print only very small things and set the temp cooler (I think I did 190C but 180C might be better).

Also print more than one item if their horizontal cross section is the size of a pencil (like my prints were). In fact I would print at least 3. This lets the part cool down while it's printing another one.

Anytime you change your process (or try to print something completely different from ever before) you will likely have some (usually minor) issues. Switching to .25 is trivial I find compared to say switching to ABS.