Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
inventabuild

My Preferred Slicer Other Than Cura

Is it possible to use a slicer other than Cura in the Ultimaker 3?  I would like to buy an Ultimaker 3; however sometimes I get a better printed part with a different slicer, for example KISSlicer or Simplify3D, so I would like to be able to use those slicers as well.

For example, here is a post I made showing Cura is under extruding in small areas of some text I'm printing:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/50035-cura-under-extruding?page=last

KISSlicer and Simplify3D print the letters perfectly so if I buy an Ultimaker 3 I will not be able to print this part if I'm locked into using Cura; hence the reason I would like to be able to use a slicer other than Cura with the Ultimaker 3.

One of the vendors selling the Ultimaker 3 told me I'm locked into using Cura. I'm hoping someone here can tell me otherwise. Please advise.

Edited by Guest

Cool, thanks for the info; however I'm a little confused as to why other slicers might perform worse with dual extrusion?

1.  Can I use another slicer and still lift the unused head out of the way?

2.  If I use the correct settings for prime, retract, travel speed etc in the other slicers can I expect good results assuming the other slicers are good slicers?

3.  Can I just load the gcode from another slicer, including any required initial start gcode, into the Ultimaker 3 and hit print?

Edited by Guest