Ultimaker AMA

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

Let us know who, or about what topic, you would like to ask questions during one of our next AMA's (Ask Me Anything)! Below I will post links to our previous AMA's

October 31st:

- New: Abrasive Materials: Owens Corning - XSTRAND™.

- I'm a Material Engineer for Ultimaker since 2015. AMA!

- We are part of the Cura team. AMA!

- Quality Control and Assembly AMA

If you are not familiar with the concept, during an ‘AMA/Ask Me Anything’ someone steps forward for around an hour or so to answer any question you fire. Usually, this person has a specific level of expertise or story which is interesting to know more about. But don't let this limit your questions 🙂

I do feel obliged to mention, despite the fact it is called an ‘Ask Me Anything’, we are bound by Ultimaker policy to keep a tight lip regarding future products. Hope you understand!

Suggested topics are:

- Quality Control & Manufacturing

- Cura Software

- Embedded; Cura Connect or S5 touch screen software - team. 

- Ultimaker founder

- Support-team

- Distribution-team

- Materials team

- Community Manager

- Electronics

- Testing

- Industry experts/artists (from within the community, like @valcrow, @Stefania Dinea or @SteveCox3D)

- Industry experts; materials. Owens Corning. 

I'm looking forward to read any comments who you would like to see next time, or what topic it should be!

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker AMA

+1 Cura

Maybe not for the next but what about an AMA with one of the founders? Also, an AMA with someone from Sales/Distribution might be interesting. Or from support!

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

You know what? I am interested in an AMA with you. You are always around so maybe some of us got used to it and don't think about it. But I'd like to know what your work day is like and what you are doing when working from the shadows :)

• Like 4

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

You know what? I am interested in an AMA with you. You are always around so maybe some of us got used to it and don't think about it. But I'd like to know what your work day is like and what you are doing when working from the shadows :)

But @Nicolinux, you know you can always ask me anything ;) haha oh boy, ok. I'll add it to the list :)
  • Like 2

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

A thought from me for AMA, I remember a discussion some considerable time ago about scanners, and the conclusion was that the technology was not that hot unless you spend tons of money. but clearly someone at Ultimaker was looking at the market and was knowledgeable on the subject can't remember who - maybe Daid or Nallath ?

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

Someone from testing? This can be internal testing, beta testing, official measurements for certifications (e.g. EMC) etc.

Do you mean testing our products (materials, hardware, software, how it all works together, and work with new things), or certifications like CE?

Those are 2 quite different..

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

Someone from testing? This can be internal testing, beta testing, official measurements for certifications (e.g. EMC) etc.

Do you mean testing our products (materials, hardware, software, how it all works together, and work with new things), or certifications like CE?

Those are 2 quite different..

Well if you ask me like that: first one and then the other... ;)

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

A thought from me for AMA, I remember a discussion some considerable time ago about scanners, and the conclusion was that the technology was not that hot unless you spend tons of money. but clearly someone at Ultimaker was looking at the market and was knowledgeable on the subject can't remember who - maybe Daid or Nallath ?

@Nallath was the one who was working on this.

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

Quality Contol:

What have you done to address the batch of warped glass plates in the QA process in order to prevent future batches being released with faults

Rebekah Anderson

RC-Truck-Design

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker AMA

I'm told from a reseller that the glass plates he has received have lately all been < 0.1mm flat.  I mean they are flat within a tolerance of .1mm.  Which is great.  

If your plate is warped > .3mm I would contact your reseller for a free replacement. (now I'm anxiously waiting for you to tell me that you *are* are a reseller and still see warped glass, lol)

Edited by Guest

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

hiya,

I am not a reseller :)

it was out by 0.6mm which is pretty pants when printing at 0.1mm height lol.

I went to the UK importer and they were surprised. we took another out of their stock and checked it and it was also way off. so we took one from a different box and it was fine.

it's been resolved but I haven't heard anything since. bought a new UM3 recently and the first thing I did was check the plate. the people didn't even know about it so hence I asked the question if anything is in place to ensure the plates are good.

regards

Becky

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

Quality control is on the list :) And regarding anything in place to ensure the plates are good: improved agreements with the supplier and better control on a higher frequency by our inbound department. Seems to do the job :)

• Like 1

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

Hi! I just announced our second Ultimaker 'Ask Me Anything' for October 18th. Topic: Cura! Nallath and MSuurmond will be available for your questions! :)

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

UGH, that's 12 days away. burning questions already lol

I will have to set a reminder :)

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

Hiya,

Could one of the designers of the physical printer be part of the AMA event?

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

That would be me. I developed a scanner for Ultimaker. Got quite far with it, but UM decided to focus on just 3D printing, so it wasn't a resource issue.

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

Hiya,

Could one of the designers of the physical printer be part of the AMA event?

Do you mean who determined the look and feel of the product, or the / a mechanical engineer / designer?

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

ooo, well I was thinking of asking some questions regarding the PVA issue and where they were thinking of going with it.

so I think that's a mechanical engineer/designer. plus I was going to throw in there if they had a job going lol (I jest)

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

The previous AMA was with a materials engineer. That would have been good questions about PVA and PVA formulations and other materials. But at these AMAs they usually can't talk about what's coming.

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

on no sorry it's not materials it's about how the printer handles PVA and have some other Questions about the design of the printer.

PVA is PVA in many ways. mainly it cloggs easily lol

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

It would be great to have some tried and tested material settings/profiles for the lesser standard materials eg. colorFabb bambooFill, Kai Parthy LayBrick and Aurarum TPE.

Posted · Ultimaker AMA
    On 12/02/2018 at 10:57 PM, Woods said:

It would be great to have some tried and tested material settings/profiles for the lesser standard materials eg. colorFabb bambooFill, Kai Parthy LayBrick and Aurarum TPE.

That is what the community is for. UM will provide settings and profiles for their own materials, but they're not going to make some for other brands. But you can find settings and advices on the forums, or by looking online as well.

• Like 1