Ultimaker AMA

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker AMA
11 minutes ago, ksmilejun said:

I want to beta test Ultimaker 4!

please!

I somehow miss the connection between your random statement and the AMA topic. Do you want an AMA with someone from testing?

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

Hi @ksmilejun , I don't think anyone of us speaks Korean, sorry! 

The thread you have replied to is not related to an 'Ultimaker 4', so your comment was a bit unexpected, which raised some questions.

Since you are in the 'English speaking' part of the forum, please use google translate if you want to participate in the conversation and your English is not strong enough.

Alternatively, there is also an 'other languages' section on our forums,  you may find some other Korean speaking friends there. Did you already right a post there? Thank you!

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

I was planning on scheduling the next one around the end of this month or beginning of next. But I haven't pinpointed it exactly. 

If you have a subject or person you want to nominate; let me know! :)

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

How\'s about one of the engineers who has to figure how the thing should actually be put together....where things go, how thick walls should be, where are the plugs, What are limitations on buildplates and heating them etc?

• Like 3

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

I second Kman's suggestion, got some suggestions about the build plate and printcores.

could be handy for the UM4 or maybe a job offer for me lol 

Bex

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

I ran my first 'stress test', I think they call it, about a year ago to see what it did. Shook the heck out of the print head, but was surprised it did not sling the machine off the table top it was so violent. So, I wonder how they figure that sort of stuff as well as resonances of the motors as well as other things beyond, 'does it move'. That and I am surprised how resilient the tiny little belts on the UM3's are able to take so much abuse over time.

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

Hi everyone, and @Swissengineer since you asked specifically,

In case you haven't heard yet; the next AMA will be May 16th! I've been able to get Steve Harris (SVP Supply Chain & Manufacturing at Ultimaker) AND Erin Oliver / @fbrc8-erin (Operations director FBRC8) from the US ready for the next AMA. Both Steve and Erin know everything about quality control and the assembly of Ultimaker 3D printers! 

So, do you have any questions regarding quality control?

Do you want to know if there any differences between Europe and the US?

What type of special tools are required for assembling an Ultimaker or how do we prepare for a launch? 

It promises to be an interesting AMA! See you on May 16th, 5pm CEST! 

• Like 3

Posted · Ultimaker AMA
    On 10/19/2017 at 9:47 PM, rebekah_harper said:

on no sorry it's not materials it's about how the printer handles PVA and have some other Questions about the design of the printer.

PVA is PVA in many ways. mainly it cloggs easily lol

We do add some things like priming slower and really the cool down and deprime at the end of the print that help a bit but the printer firmware mainly tries not heating printcores too early or keeping them too hot as PVA degrades quickly.

BTW: @SandervG I see no embedded, Cura connect or S5 touch screen software as options in your list, maybe add them?

Though  I have no idea if there are questions for them/us as most of the questions here are mechanical/material related.

Posted · Ultimaker AMA
    3 hours ago, robinmdh said:

Cura connect or S5 touch screen software as options in your list, maybe add them?

Added :) , everything is possible. I hope we can share a lot of ours and the industry expertise this way!

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker AMA

I think is time to speak about AA cores for hard materials (abrasive ones)

Edited by Gigi
    details
    • Like 1

Posted · Ultimaker AMA
    18 hours ago, Gigi said:

I think is time to speak about AA cores for hard materials (abrasive ones)

Which wouldn't be called AA then, but a different letter. After all, the letters indicate the type of PrintCore.

Posted · Ultimaker AMA
    2 minutes ago, Daid said:

Which wouldn't be called AA then, but a different letter. After all, the letters indicate the type of PrintCore.

Call it A² because it would be super tuff!! ;p

Posted · Ultimaker AMA
    19 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Call it A² because it would be super tuff!! ;p

I bet it'll be called CC or something similar boring and nonsensical.

Posted · Ultimaker AMA
    12 minutes ago, robinmdh said:

I bet it'll be called CC or something similar boring and nonsensical.

Btw. AA is not nonsensical in German: You can take it as "Alles Andere" (engl. everything else) so people just have to keep in mind that the BB core is for PVA only.

Posted · Ultimaker AMA

AH: Abrasive and Hard. ;)

But there's a risk of confusion with the AA cores. CC would be ok, we'd keep in line with the current naming convention. By the way, why those names for the cores: AA & BB? Where does it comes from?

Well, they consulted the international dictionary for cool stuff...then the asked @Dim3nsioneer and use AA for ' Alles Andere '

Then they used BB for "Bad Boy' because it is just a badass design for PVA. But not wanting to be insensitive as they are prone to be; they settled for BadBoy so as to not offend anybody who is a badass.

Then maybe they think CC would be good because it is a copy (CC'd) the design of the AA cores, as well as double tuffed it for Carbon (See what I did there? Carbon Carbon?) And wink, wink, Bob's yer Uncle...Naming Complete!!

And I am unanimous in this!!

;p

Edited by kmanstudios
    • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

Btw. AA is not nonsensical in German: You can take it as "Alles Andere" (engl. everything else) so people just have to keep in mind that the BB core is for PVA only.

I doubt that had anything to do with it, at first they were CB and CS for "Cartridge build" and "Cartridge Support", then marketing/sales/support/IDK came along and they became AA and BB I've asked what it meant but never got an answer that gave any meaning to the name, just clearly different and short enough to put on the front of the core.

They also came up with Print Core because Dual Core sounds nice, which has worked out surprisingly well, so what the hell do I know about Marketing anyway?  <- rhetorical, don't answer that

P.S: The mechanical difference between AA and BB is subtle and small but crucial

P.P.S: Internally there's still a HotendCartridgeManager, etc.

P.P.P.S: This is getting hugely off topic, should we continue with a new thread about abrasive resistant print cores?

Edited by robinmdh

Posted · Ultimaker AMA
    15 minutes ago, robinmdh said:

P.P.P.S: This is getting hugely off topic, should we continue with a new thread about abrasive resistant print cores?

Yes. And when we can expect UM to market that kind of cores. 

Posted · Ultimaker AMA
    21 minutes ago, robinmdh said:

I doubt that had anything to do with it

Way to ruin a good story ,,,HaRUMPPPphhhhhh  I bet you were no fun when sent to the principal at school ;)

21 minutes ago, robinmdh said:

P.S: The mechanical difference between AA and BB is subtle and small but crucial

And that is why it is BadAss!! Again....messing with a cool legend/story in the making....PaSHAwwwwww  ;p

22 minutes ago, robinmdh said:

P.P.P.S: This is getting hugely off topic,

Hey, I resemble that remark!!  :O

Posted · Ultimaker AMA
    8 minutes ago, Brulti said:

Yes. And when we can expect UM to market that kind of cores. 

I'm a software developer, nobody tells me anything, how would I know?

I suppose you can get an olssonruby or 3dsolex (but their cores have more powerful heaters and the don't tell marlin about that causing a power loss by drawing too much current, something we prevent in SW)

@kmanstudios don't let me ruin your suspension of disbelief! yes I do take things too literal at times, I'll work on it.

It is badass though that such a small change makes that much difference...

• Like 1

Posted · Ultimaker AMA
    14 minutes ago, robinmdh said:

yes I do take things too literal at times

Me too!!! I am just having fun. But I can seriously get limited by the 'too literal' and, my sense of humour is way out there too.

I even composed a 'theme' song for the BB core based of the Bad Boys Song...

"Whatcha gonna do when da support just don't print true......."

• Like 1

Posted · Ultimaker AMA
    1 hour ago, robinmdh said:

First step was 0.8 AA and 0.25 AA cores.

FDM printers will always be superior to SLA printers because of hard materials.

I don't think will be an SLA that will print with carbon fiber,

I think now you understand my point of vue.

By the way, before S5 came out, i did say that the XY axle should be longer to use all the buid plate no matter what combinaition of cores you choose.