Looking for beta testers.

Daid

Posted · Looking for beta testers.

I'm really diggin the new changes to 13.06x. First impressions after playing with it throughout the day.

Pros!

-The new project planner integration is awesome and intuitive.

-Autoslicer is super fast (doesn't auto send to memory card. but not a big issue since there's a save button now)

-infill speed greatly increases the quality of my prints I'm finding. they're coming out nice and sharp without waiting like hours. -possibly the awesomest feature yet! My prints are coming out with a surface quality about 50% cleaner and like 25% sharper.

-There seems to be less wasted material inside the object as well, and cool square pattern now instead of chaos lines.

-new categorization of settings seem a lot more logical than before.

-haven't tried yet, but like the brim idea! saves me on modeling time.

Cons...

Support structures

The support algorithm doesn't seem to be as good as it was before.. I usually print without support, and for objects that don't require it it's amazing. but for a few objects that just aren't possible without supports. I've had a few overhanging details completely neglected by the supports so it printed in the air. I had a 1cm Bridge that was also ignored by the support system and there was nothing printed under it. I would think it would put a support under here.

Then I had one support structure go TROUGH my object which kinda messed up it's surface.

It doesn't seem to leave as big of a gap between support and object surface as 13.03.

It's far far more difficult to remove compared to 13.03 supports. I set the material % to 50% like 13.03 but still a lot more difficult to remove and definitely thicker still.

Looks like for now, I shall print supported objects in 13.03 and 13.06 for everything else.

That said, super impressed with the updates. All really meaningful additions and updates and intelligently integrated into the workflow. My greatest appreciation to the efforts to make really productive software.

• Replies 248
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-infill speed greatly increases the quality of my prints I'm finding. they're coming out nice and sharp without waiting like hours. -possibly the awesomest feature yet! My prints are coming out with a surface quality about 50% cleaner and like 25% sharper.

Interesting, I have not messed with the infill speed, I left it on default settings. What setting did you use?

Overall, I agree, the new version is a huge improvement, it just can slice some models that failed on the old one. But I will still keep 13.04 for some smaller object , because I have been having issues with thin walls and indeed, supports seem to work better

@peggyB - I have the tab in 13.06. There are 4 tabs. You have to do "tools" "switch to full settings...".

@capn

issues where prints hang part way through

I've always had that problem with Cura so I use the UC usually although some people who had this problem used pronterface (it's easy to use, works great, is free, and has lots of great features). You probably only had to restart all the Cura processes. Check to see if they have memory leaks. You can try by going to "windows task manager", click on processes tab, sort by memory used and keep your eye on the pythonw processes. A memory leak would be where when you finish a print, the memory useage doesn't go back down to when you started and when you print the next piece it keeps using more and more memory. I suspect it has nothing to do with this and is instead a glitch in the USB protocol but it might be memory leaks.

@lars86 - Helpful video. Can you post your model so I can try to duplicate this problem? Plus you didn't answer my question about how much memory you have on your windows machine. This thread has so many posts that yours may get lost so you might want to start a new thread.

It's far far more difficult to remove compared to 13.03 supports. I set the material % to 50% like 13.03 but still a lot more difficult to remove and definitely thicker still.

I noticed this as well, but once I set the infill to something like 20-30%, I get similar infill to a 70% setting in 13.04, but easier to remove.

Definitely some significant changes were made with infill, but I think with properly adjusted settings the results are better.

@lars86 - Helpful video. Can you post your model so I can try to duplicate this problem? Plus you didn't answer my question about how much memory you have on your windows machine. This thread has so many posts that yours may get lost so you might want to start a new thread.

It's happening with any model, even the low resolution XY banana blocks.

Like I said, plenty of memory. 8GB total more than 3 GB free even with Cura running.

Lars, tried disabling the SD card auto detection as suggested?

Lars, tried disabling the SD card auto detection as suggested?

Did you check out the video I posted?

Did you check out the video I posted?

Nope, missed it because it fell off the previous page.

What I'm seeing is a "delay" due to starting a process. As it happens between when the button turns gray and the progress-bar shows. The only thing happening there is starting a process. There could be a virus-scanner causing slowdowns here. But I have some ideas on how to fix this.

What I'm seeing is a "delay" due to starting a process. As it happens between when the button turns gray and the progress-bar shows. The only thing happening there is starting a process. There could be a virus-scanner causing slowdowns here. But I have some ideas on how to fix this.

Cool, I'd be happy to try excluding Cura from application scanning in Kaspersky or disabling it altogether when I get home later.

@peggyB - I have the tab in 13.06. There are 4 tabs. You have to do "tools" "switch to full settings...".

it is not there,

thats why I am asking....

it is not there,

thats why I am asking....

Unfortunately it says "you do not have permission to view this image" so I can't look at your picture you posted.

So are telling us you have 3 of the tabs but not the fourth? The tabs should say something like "basic" "advanced" "plugins" "start/end gcode".

Ooh - I got your picture to load. You have 13.06.2, not 13.06. I loaded that and I still get the plugin tab. Strange.

See if you have any errors logged. I think you want to go to the folder called cura_13.06.2 and in there there should be a log file. Maybe called "output"?

@Daid:

At first: tnxx for the effort:-)

- superfast slicing!

- Infill on top of small objects is almost perfect and if it stays this way, fine with me. I tried several smal words with almost no infill and they close neatly in the last layer.

- Turning an object around and laying it down flat is much faster.

- Putting several objects all together on the platform without the different windows is just the way it has to be.

- more possibilities and a far better way to fill in.

but:

- Brim looks beautiful, but then starts with the support on the next level, leaving a gap between support and platform if there's no brim available.

- Tried to make e supershape, brim seems to fall apart by not attaching to the board from the beginning. (new blue tape, cleaned with alcohol)

- If slicing the same object twice, a window about saving the same objectname dissapears behind Cura. The old version saved without asking to replace, this one doesn't save without confirmation. But you'll see it only when closing Cura.

- I'm missing The Joris-thing. Is it still possible?

- Support is now crossing over in stead of lining only, can I disable this? It seems there's no choice for different shapes of support or infill anymore?

Is it possible to keep two different versions of Cura at the same time? It seems they work together, but do I have to take precautions?

Is there something else I can try to do for you?

Regards, Boy

Pictures:

https://plus.google.com/photos/113492898014041838172/albums/5890865530111191265

I've been using 5% for support setting and making my design to keep support away from a thin vertical wall that it was sticking too firmly too. The overhang is zero degrees 10mm X 10mm corner, so not a bridge and it's has been coming out perfect (printed 6 of the object). It has been very easy to peel away and the surface is almost as good as the top surface.

You nailed it Daid!

Paused Kaspersky, and just like that Cura ran as you intended (no complaints about auto slicing now!)

So, I tried to narrow down the root cause. One by one, I excluded each curaengine.exe and pythonw.exe (I had about 6 of each, from the prior versions) from having their (and child apps) behavior analyzed, files scanned, etc. Nada. Disabled file anti-virus altogether, nada. Disabled application-control, nothing. Disabled "System watcher", that did it.

So, under the main heading of System-watcher, there are 2 sub-options, Exploit-prevention and behavior stream signatures. Un-checking both of those doesn't fix it, only disabling all of "System watcher" fixes the lag.

Kaspersky is not normally like that. I've used it for years without issue. I hope this info gives you diagnostic help. Let me know if I can help more.

I went ahead and emailed Kaspersky a trace file of the slow down too.

Is there a easy way of setting different temperature for first layer? to make it stick easier to the bed?

Peggy, the "missing plugin tab" is most likely caused by unable to find any plugins. Could be a macOS issue. I'll have a look at it.

Lars, now that I know the cause, I can simulate the same behavior, and fix Cura for it. Kaspersky might fix it, but you'll never know when, if, and if another scanner might cause the same problems.

Edis, there is a plugin that can do this.

12much: Joris is missing for now but will return. Support materials need a bit more work, but the first layer is cross-hatched, so it sticks better to the bed. The rest of the layers are only in a single direction.

Is there a easy way of setting different temperature for first layer? to make it stick easier to the bed?

+10000 I have to tune the temp durring the print with the ulticontroler

thanks Daid for info. I've located the plugin - FlowThermostat. But now another issue came. I'm using beta 13.06.02 and i see no buttons to remove plugins after i've activated them.

Here's the screenshot:

Untitled.jpg

Edit: cura plug-ins are located at Curaplugins

I noticed that the plug-in folder is not present in 13.05 and 13.06.

In 13.04 it was located in Contents --> Resources --> Cura --> resources --> plugins

Copying the one from 13.04 to the Resources folder didn't help.

Is there a right place to put it in, or does it need something extra?

thanks Daid for info. I've located the plugin - FlowThermostat. But now another issue came. I'm using beta 13.06.02 and i see no buttons to remove plugins after i've activated them.

Here's the screenshot:

Untitled.jpg

Edit: cura plug-ins are located at \Cura\plugins

Ah, that's a sizing issue. The button is hidden behind the 3D window. You can resize the side-bar and the button will show. Something I will look at.

I noticed that the plug-in folder is not present in 13.05 and 13.06.

In 13.04 it was located in Contents --> Resources --> Cura --> resources --> plugins

Copying the one from 13.04 to the Resources folder didn't help.

Is there a right place to put it in, or does it need something extra?

I'll check on the Mac I have today. Most likely it is a bug somewhere.

I've been changing a few things on starting the slicer to work around the problem that Lars has. I've changed the way the SD card detection works so it will no longer block the GUI (still need to test this). And I've been looking at the OpenGL backwards compatibility issue that someone showed to me on the UltiEvening (and was reported before, but now I understand what is happening) It's the "glCreateShader" popup.

I've changed the way the SD card detection works so it will no longer block the GUI (still need to test this)

Just tested 13.06.3 and it does not freeze anymore for me, even with the SD detection enabled, good work :)

But I found a small bug, nothing critical: when you clear the platform, the toolpath is not cleared in layer mode until you load a new model. No big deal but for a second I thought the platform was not clearing until I changed the display mode back to normal

I'm testing 13.06.3 (which seems to be (or think it is) 13.06.2 for mac, in fact). I've been printing some 3D scans of people, fast, 0.06mm layers, with a couple of loops, and no infill. In general it's coming out amazingly well.

However, I notice that it's not doing retraction for the interior moves, and there doesn't seem to be a way to enable that as there was in earlier versions. I'm printing with no bottom, so the inside space is visible, and it's making for quite a messy interior to the print, with lots of stringing.

I'd kinda like the option to turn on retraction, or alternatively, perhaps retraction should be enabled automatically for moves for prints with 0 infill, and an open top and/or bottom?