Cura 2.7 | Beta

SandervG

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.7 | Beta

Hi Guys, thank you all so much for your feedback. You have been a great help. In return, we present you the new stable Cura 2.7.

Don't stop giving us your thoughts and experiences. By letting us know what you think we can continue improving Cura even more.

If you want to join the conversation, leave your feedback here.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

So tldr; If you want a better experience, buy a machine from a company that supports Cura development (eg; Ultimaker & Lulzbot)

Actually, my Raise3D N2 is sitting next to my Ultimaker 2.

I've tried to get Raise3D to contribute profiles for their hardware, but they have their own (mediocre) slicer, and aren't interested in Cura support.

You could take matters into your own hand and provide us with profiles. That's the beauty of open source ;)

I'd do that, if there were any documentation on how it is done. Open Source often seems to mean "undocumented".

• Like 1

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

I'd do that, if there were any documentation on how it is done. Open Source often seems to mean "undocumented".

We have a number of posts floating out and about describing how it's done. But it pretty much boils down to; Have a look how other printers did it. It's a matter of creating a definition file (a *.def.json) file, which describes default settings & properties of a printer.

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

We have a number of posts floating out and about describing how it's done. But it pretty much boils down to; Have a look how other printers did it. It's a matter of creating a definition file (a *.def.json) file, which describes default settings & properties of a printer.

I'll have a look. Could you steer me to any posts with useful info?

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

The print thin walls seems to do them as a separate feature compared to a standard wall. Which means if a wall progressively gets smaller it will print all walls down to the nozzle size then print the thin walls as a separate pass. This creates a lot of imperfections in the print. To get the best quality results it needs to progressively print all walls thin or not in one pass so it's not broken up into different moves.

Will this be something that's possible to achieve later on or is it limited by how the programming works?

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

struggling struggling:(

to much possibillities isnt always resulting in a better print

5a333ef68ea9b_20170831_182306102.thumb.jpg.ff1f2093fbd47bd9dca37576df07e753.jpg

left 2.7 rigth 15.04

long way to go fore me!

wr Henk

That looks horrible.... Was that a default um profile?

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

left 2.7 rigth 15.04

long way to go fore me!

wr Henk

Yes in both versions

Fore me its still a puzzle why every new version looks to give a worst result

Wr Henk

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

left 2.7 rigth 15.04

long way to go fore me!

wr Henk

Yes in both versions

Wr Henk

Do you have a link to the model?

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

left 2.7 rigth 15.04

long way to go fore me!

wr Henk

Yes in both versions

Wr Henk

Do you have a link to the model?

hope this link works:https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=bus.stl

wr Henk

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

hope this link works:https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=bus.stl

wr Henk

Sorry I can't access it.

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.7 | Beta

20170902_111813.thumb.jpg.6e4a90aa516fb1136b4dffffe9aaf97f.jpg

Now with skirt isto raft

Bottom is better only a z seam is still vissable

Wr Henk

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

raft? why? you said you used default profiles..... don't think any profile has raft on by default....

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

raft? why?   you said you used default profiles..... don't think any profile has raft on by default....

I know PC does and is recommended.

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

raft? why?   you said you used default profiles..... don't think any profile has raft on by default....

I know PC does and is recommended.

Hello

Started with 16.0.1(black) has a raft/brim option

Than 15.04.6 also

After that 2.6.2 and 2.7 with al kind of options

Normal a raft gives me the best result with sticking to the bed but with bad bottom result

The skirt option in 2.7 works fore the bottom (in custom mode)

Wr Henk

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

What filament are you using?

If you are using something like PLA, why not just use either bare glass or something with just a bit of adhesion such as PVA or hairspray, et. al?

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

What filament are you using?

If you are using something like PLA, why not just use either bare glass or something with just a bit of adhesion such as PVA or hairspray, et. al?

All interesting options to try but my problem is how to upgrade to the new cura version(s) and resulting in a better print

Wr Henk

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

Each version has an evolving set of philosophies that do not keep things the 'same old, same old.'

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

snip>>

Disallowing sequential printing most of the time is a really dumb decision, as it is necessary for production efficiency. It's a real shame Cura won't support this feature like Slic3r, Kisslicer, and Simplify3D, as the lack wastes a huge amount of user time printing objects separately, and reduces the quality of the pieces printed.

Absolutely. Like @eldrick I run a 3D printing business and sequential printing is a must have. I for one cannot afford to print say 8 models using print all at once and have a failure 80% of the way through printing and loose every model. 15.04 was fine but since the introduction of 2.n (certainly 2.3) it has been a mess and for well over a year now I have regressed to Slic3r to do multiple model printing.

It really does not take much brains for a user to manually layout the print bed so there are no collisions. What we need is a parameter to let us do this manually rather than have Cura do it for us. That way you are serving both your newbie users and your experienced users. And yes if we do it incorrectly we get a smash but that is our responsibility for selecting the "manual" option.

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

Hi @yellowshark,

Have you also tried Cura 2.7 stable? I just checked and you can set the print sequence under 'special modes'. Here is my screenshot.

Does this work for you, or are you too limited by the lowered build height?

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

Hi @yellowshark,

Have you also tried Cura 2.7 stable? I just checked and you can set the print sequence under 'special modes'. Here is my screenshot.

Does this work for dual nozzle?

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

Seems not to.

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

Indeed, we disabled the One-At-a-Time mode for printers with more than one extruders, because we couldn't guarantee that the print head wouldn't collide with previously printed objects when going to the switching bay or the wipe location. Or at least, not without lowering the build plate at every switch.

It's also a problem for the prime tower.

The original plan was to fix this one day and bring the feature back for dual-extrusion as well. It's not in our short-term planning though.

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

Indeed, we disabled the One-At-a-Time mode for printers with more than one extruders, because we couldn't guarantee that the print head wouldn't collide with previously printed objects when going to the switching bay or the wipe location. Or at least, not without lowering the build plate at every switch.

It's also a problem for the prime tower.

The original plan was to fix this one day and bring the feature back for dual-extrusion as well. It's not in our short-term planning though.

I am kinda on board with the "it is not recommended, but let the user decide" way of looking at it. I pretty much stopped using the priming tower and I am pretty confident that I could plan the locations so to avoid the collision aspect. The dual nozzle would mean less parts per buildplate when using both nozzles, but not everything uses both nozzles.

Couple that with the failure aspect when printing long term and losing a whole build plate instead of just one model.

Posted · Cura 2.7 | Beta

Hi @yellowshark,

Hi @SandervG, no not yet. I have had most of the summer off, just printing needed jobs but no playing around. So now back to full time 2.7 is just about my first job, there look to be some nice things there, possibly some from 2.6. There are certainly parts I would print with multiple copies on the bed that would be less than 2 inches and right now that is probably the majority but it could easily change!

I will try and look at this in detail next week and report back.

• Like 1