UM3 Extended wont print first layer

Traveler218

Posted · UM3 Extended wont print first layer

Ouf, that is unfortunate! Well it ran much longer than before, dare we say the removal of Blender had a positive affect?

In this thread you can find quite some tips and reasons regarding that error message.

A common one is that the silicon padding is missing or not inserted properly, and the cooling air from the fan is blowing on your core. Could that be the reason?

It triggers when a core takes 10 minutes to heat up if I am not mistaken..

Aside of this error message, does the infill has to be this intense?

Cura has some smart infill features which grow more dense when you reach a top layer and is more hollow in the center when no support is necessary for a roof. This may save you quite some hours on a print like this.

Is it a functional model? Have you considered printing only the top and glue it on this part?

Looking forward hearing from you!

• Replies 83
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited) · UM3 Extended wont print first layer

No, it is not functional. it is a static model for a marketing display. I have considered breaking up the model and gluing it together. I was trying to avoid that approach but may be forced to.

I am just getting comfortable with CURA, so I haven't tried anything like varying the infill %. I may give it a try to reduce the print time. In a previous printing attempt I had problems with the infill. It was very low quality and sort of fell apart. I changed from "Triangles" to Grid and it seemed to help. With the other parts I printed recently the current setting worked well, so I tried not to alter them too much. Also, I have found that with PETG, anything below 45% - 50% does not work well.

Any suggestions on what support settings to use to get better results? it tries to print just a very narrow support tower and seems to not stay together once it gets some height?

Oh, and about the Silicone cover on the nozzles, mine is torn, right between the two heads, but is in place properly. I now have a new one and will try replacing it.

Edited by Guest

I use a graduated tetrahedral at 15 - 20 on average for display models, not functional. It really makes a time difference in time. But, make sure you have enough top layers to prevent pillowing. This will depend on your layer height and percentage of infill.

No, it is not functional. it is a static model for a marketing display. I have considered breaking up the model and gluing it together. I was trying to avoid that approach but may be forced to.

I am just getting comfortable with CURA, so I haven't tried anything like varying the infill %. I may give it a try to reduce the print time. In a previous printing attempt I had problems with the infill. It was very low quality and sort of fell apart. I changed from "Triangles" to Grid and it seemed to help. With the other parts I printed recently the current setting worked well, so I tried not to alter them too much. Also, I have found that with PETG, anything below 45% - 50% does not work well.

Any suggestions on what support settings to use to get better results? it tries to print just a very narrow support tower and seems to not stay together once it gets some height?

Oh, and about the Silicone cover on the nozzles, mine is torn, right between the two heads, but is in place properly. I now have a new one and will try replacing it.

Regarding the infill, if it just needs to stand there, I would definitely use lower infill. It saves both time and material. You can simply reduce the percentage in either 'recommended' or 'Custom'. You can also choose a different pattern in 'Infill pattern' in the 'Custom' tab.

We have some good resources available, have you ever checked them out?

Regarding support, if in this case they fell over, you could enable a brim and horizontal expansion. Infill should be sturdy, but it does not have to look as tidy and smooth as the outer wall.

Regarding the silicon pads, let us know if that helped. Ah.. I just see that I forgot to add a hyperlink to my previous post. Here we go again, a post with some tips. Check it out :)

Good luck :)

Regarding the infill, if it just needs to stand there, I would definitely use lower infill. It saves both time and material. You can simply reduce the percentage in either 'recommended' or 'Custom'. You can also choose a different pattern in 'Infill pattern' in the 'Custom' tab.

We have some good resources available, have you ever checked them out?

Regarding support, if in this case they fell over, you could enable a brim and horizontal expansion. Infill should be sturdy, but it does not have to look as tidy and smooth as the outer wall.

Regarding the silicon pads, let us know if that helped. Ah.. I just see that I forgot to add a hyperlink to my previous post. Here we go again, a post with some tips. Check it out :)

Good luck :)

I previously looked at that post, the first time I had the temp problem.

This doesn't really solve the problem, but I was thinking about your previous suggestion of printing in sections. I took a look at the model and saw a detail line near the top. I used this as a location to "Plane Cut" the model. I made a couple quick mods so that they would slide together, and made the larger, lower portion hollow. I should now be able to print as two separate pieces and when they go back together it should be virtually invisible. I am currently printing the top piece, which has most of the detail. I'll let you know how that print goes.

Posted (edited) · UM3 Extended wont print first layer

Progress update;

As suggested, I broke the model up into two sections: the Top Panel and the Case. This will allow me to print the case hollow, greatly reducing the print time and the material usage. I Sliced the model with a "Plane Cut" and then modified it to slide together. I started with the Top Panel, since it is the much more complicated print. It ran for 19 1/2 hours and when I came in this morning it looked great!

20170830_063926.thumb.jpg.24be0d42d243b82cb3c5bf002d835bc4.jpg

Now all I need to do is get the case to print. After last night, I thought that would be easy. Unfortunately, nothing is easy. I have restarted the print three times for various reasons, mostly because it just wouldn't get past the first layer. Material kept sticking to the nozzle, destroying the print. It looks like part of the problem is the fan, this time. The fan did no start running. I opened the cover on the head to remove debris, but there really wasn't anything blocking the fan. I used the tweezers to move the fan blades and it started running, so I let the print continue. Hopefully that will fix the current problem.

Edited by Guest

After 4 failed attempts to get through the first layer, with bed leveling, nozzle cleaning, cold pulls and hot pulls in between, the UM3 just printed the smoothest, most uniform first layer I have ever seen. It was truly a thing of beauty. It is now on the third layer and has continued to print fantastic. I am hopeful I will make it through this print by mid morning tomorrow and can get this one behind me. This is the second half of the print pictured above and the two will be glued together when finished.

Looks pretty good @Traveler218!! some small strings but they should be easily removed with some pliers or a knife. You could remove them completely with an optimized print profile, but lets make it work reliably first!

If material got stuck to the nozzle, did this happen with active leveling or have you turned this off? (I believe we talked about it earlier).

Which of the fans did not run?

Curious to see how it will continue!

Looks pretty good @Traveler218!! some small strings but they should be easily removed with some pliers or a knife. You could remove them completely with an optimized print profile, but lets make it work reliably first!

If material got stuck to the nozzle, did this happen with active leveling or have you turned this off? (I believe we talked about it earlier).

Which of the fans did not run?

Curious to see how it will continue!

I believe the material sticking was related to a combination of the fan no working and the bed leveling. Once I got all of that taken care of I needed to clean the head with a manual purge and cold pull. Once all of that was cleaned up I got a great first layer print and it has continued throughout. Still having some problems with the supports but for the most part it looks great.

The front head fan (The one behind the drop down head access door) was the one not working, When I manually started it (by pushing the blades with tweezers), it started running and I have had no more problem with it.

I'm currently down to 3 1/2 hours remaining. I have my fingers crossed that it will actually complete the print.

Robert

• Like 1