FAN duct solution

Posted · FAN duct solution

funduct.thumb.jpg.efea7a2231999925b856f80500a4653c.jpg

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for the best solution to cool my Ultimate 2 Olsson's hot end.

I've seen this video on youtube with this solution and it looks good, but I can not find the stl file.

Then I saw so many other solutions but I would like advice from those who have already tried it.

funduct.thumb.jpg.efea7a2231999925b856f80500a4653c.jpg

The one I linked in my post? or the one in the picture?

The one in the picture Looks ok I guess.but if I was to be picky then.... You will get air flow cooling the Olsson block which is not so good and the RHS duct doesn't look like it has the same amount of air flow as the other side.

I can't comment on the one I linked cos I designed it but I'll leave that up to others.

06c3e69e5bd958d3ae3ca43bce41105f_preview_featured.JPG.bdea0a43f71d072368107d5affed231d.JPG

This is the one you wanted. It uses some of the air to blow on the heat sink which I think is a waste of air as you want it all on the print.

Just pick one that you like the look of and im sure you will be happy

• Like 1

I use the one from @labern on my UM2 (dual version). It's advantage is the nice air guidance with low resistance, it's disadvantage is that the material comes pretty close to both nozzle and Olsson Block which leads to some deformations even as I printed it in PC.

Just pick one that you like the look of and im sure you will be happy

I have problems with prints at the moment, I can not cool enough so I need a good solution to send so much air during printing.

What advice do I use to use your idea?

I use the one from @labern on my UM2 (dual version). It's advantage is the nice air guidance with low resistance, it's disadvantage is that the material comes pretty close to both nozzle and Olsson Block which leads to some deformations even as I printed it in PC.

I also used it until some time ago but then printing ABS or PC I always deformed so I was looking for a definitive solution or better that would not deform and that it is distant of the hot-end.

Metal doesn't bend ;)

• Like 1

Metal doesn't bend ;)

ok :-D

why don't you get Labern's sintered in metal

I still use his design and although I have done my own (for the Mar2) Mod its a good design

If you need plenty of cooling you can also take a look at the centrifugal fanduct by @gudo

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-centrifugal-fans-duct

I have used it for 6 months and could not be happier...printed in PLA and no major issues with heat since the part closest to the nozzle is a piece of aluminium sheet from a can.

You need to buy new fans though since it uses blower fans and not the ones that comes with the printer.

• Like 3

If you need plenty of cooling you can also take a look at the centrifugal fanduct by @gudo

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-centrifugal-fans-duct

I have used it for 6 months and could not be happier...printed in PLA and no major issues with heat since the part closest to the nozzle is a piece of aluminium sheet from a can.

You need to buy new fans though since it uses blower fans and not the ones that comes with the printer.

Hi nilrog

Thank you for this information!

why don't you get Labern's sintered in metal

I still use his design and although I have done my own (for the Mar2) Mod its a good design

Hi Bob,

I bought the metal model in china but I will only arrive in September so in the meantime I was looking for a good solution.

sounds like a plan hope it goes well

Hi guys,

stamp.thumb.jpg.8a61ef15038f7db33529c41088298f52.jpg

I did this test with three different fan ducts, here are the results.

Labern's has given the best result, but I'm not happy about printing the bridges, they are too bad.

stamp2.thumb.jpg.d9b7d1af92c62f8eb563b2a709291cc8.jpg

testIN.thumb.jpg.5577e617ea0aa321ab2d46691a79ff14.jpg

testOff.thumb.jpg.5e47bd27554d972785a72e70d24eace8.jpg

I stopped printing with the third fan duct (ZetOff) because it was too bad.

Labern fan duct is winning, but I would also like to try the delicious clam solution.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/super-fan-duct-for-ultimaker-delicious-clam

paul9

you got way to much time on your hands, but I see where your going, good luck. what layer height did you use and temp