Cura UI unusable on high res monitor

Grasmier

Posted (edited) · Cura UI unusable on high res monitor

Hi all,

I'm using Cura 2.6 and Cura 2.7 (BETA) on my Dell Precision 5520 and have a big issue with the software. These are the display settings in Windows (I think it has to do with the resolution):

5a333e1caf1c3_displaysettings.thumb.JPG.443c828dd366600ff8ab7896635ec74c.JPG

I cannot use the software. I cannot scale the popup windows so cannot reach a lot of buttons. Also, when I try to click a button, it almost never works. It highlights when I hover over the button but clicking it doesn't do anything.

5a333e1d4f9b6_Settingsmenu.thumb.JPG.6eae39b5d11359f6267cacda7f5381fa.JPG

5a333e1cc8ad0_Connecttoprinter.thumb.JPG.ce2555c6a7dde6df03380313a99ab93c.JPG

Is there a reason that Cura does not support the (growing) amount of 4k screens on CAD-modelling/designer systems? Is there any way to overcome this?

EDIT: Tried lowering my screen resolution to full HD (1920x1080), although I would really like not to. I rebooted the system and kept the resolution. Then I started Cura 2.6 and Cura 2.7. This is the result:

5a333e1d90c53_ChangedtofullHD.thumb.JPG.5fe047f56498f7978b23f56619c2a2f1.JPG

5a333e1caf1c3_displaysettings.thumb.JPG.443c828dd366600ff8ab7896635ec74c.JPG

5a333e1d4f9b6_Settingsmenu.thumb.JPG.6eae39b5d11359f6267cacda7f5381fa.JPG

5a333e1cc8ad0_Connecttoprinter.thumb.JPG.ce2555c6a7dde6df03380313a99ab93c.JPG

5a333e1d90c53_ChangedtofullHD.thumb.JPG.5fe047f56498f7978b23f56619c2a2f1.JPG

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura UI unusable on high res monitor

Don't scale the display.

If you set the display to 100% instead of 200%, Cura will work just fine.

I'm sorry to correct you but, changing to 100% (which btw makes the text extremely unreadable on a 15 inch screen, which is why windows recommends 200%), does not fix the issue in Cura.

See below: DPI set to 100%. Cura still has a settings screen where half of the buttons do not work and I cannot navigate the left panel.

5a333e1dbc6e3_At100percent.thumb.JPG.196b8680d9da5e015ec6450f4b84eb81.JPG

Could you try updating your graphics driver? One of the issues I see is that the interface is drawn too high (hiding the menu among other things). This has been reported before, and when it was updating the graphics driver fixed that.

For the dialogs being too small I'll ping @msuurmond.

Updated to the latest Nvidia Drivers (Quadro M1200).

Here's another image. This is @ 100% as you recommend. Text is really extremely small, which is understandable. But still, the red circled area, buttons do not respond. I am stuck in this menu. The popup window can also not be scaled.

I've tried using TAB through the menu, doesnt work.

5a333e1e41f11_100percentbtnsdontwork.thumb.JPG.2cf763fde42bf1c4e20d19e0cc765ee5.JPG

Does your laptop have multiple GPUs? The vertical offset that hides the menu and makes items hard to click was reported on Intel HD Graphics before (and from the sound of it it seems a driver-specific thing).

I'm on a Precision 5510 with the M100M processor, and I had the same problem. It did it even though I'm using an external 1080p monitor with the 4K screen disabled. I fixed the issue by going to the NVIDIA Control Panel, Manage 3D Settings, and setting the Preferred Graphics Processor for Cura to "High-Performance NVIDIA Processor". It probably uses a little more battery, but the graphics issue is fixed.

@ahoeben thanks for the suggestion that it's the Intel drivers, that led to my finding this solution.

Posted (edited) · Cura UI unusable on high res monitor

Does your laptop have multiple GPUs? The vertical offset that hides the menu and makes items hard to click was reported on Intel HD Graphics before (and from the sound of it it seems a driver-specific thing).

You are correct. The laptop has an Intel HD 630 and a Quadro M1200. Both drivers are up to date. You said this was observed before, was there any resolution to this?

Edited by Guest

See this thread: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/2068

Intel may have a newer driver for the HD 630 than Dell. The latest driver directly from Intel is here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/98909/Intel-HD-Graphics-630 (dated the 11th of July)

See this thread: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/2068

Intel may have a newer driver for the HD 630 than Dell. The latest driver directly from Intel is here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/98909/Intel-HD-Graphics-630 (dated the 11th of July)

Hi, thanks for pointing me to the right thread.

Unfortunately, I cannot download and install the Intel Drivers. Upon executing I get an error that says "Please obtain drivers from the manufacturer of your system".

I think it's not possible to install drivers from Intel on a Dell system directly.

I think the only solution as this stage is to wait for Dell to release the Intel drivers, after having certified it themselves...

Unfortunately, I cannot download and install the Intel Drivers. Upon executing I get an error that says "Please obtain drivers from the manufacturer of your system".

I think it's not possible to install drivers from Intel on a Dell system directly.

You can probably install the generic Intel version by first uninstalling the dell-specific version. Reboot and then you can install the Intel version.

Note that you have to click the "Show more" link to show a newer version than the recommended one. The one that fixed the issue for me ends with .4729 (not .4678)

I fixed this by finding the application in Program Files -> Ultimaker Cura X.X.X -> UltiMaker-Cura, then selecting the application line item, clicking Properties, Compatibility, Change High DPI Settings, and activated Override High DPI Scaling Behavior. I chose System (Enhanced) from the drop-down menu.