Cura unable to open any STL file

tredog

Posted · Cura unable to open any STL file

Hello Community,

I recently reinstalled cura after my computer needed to be reimaged. I was able to open an STL file and tweak some settings. I then closed Cura and reopened it about 30 minutes later. Since then it will not open any STL file.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

I've made cura associate with STL files and without STL files.

I've tried creating a new STL file

I've downloaded new STL files

I've tried old STL files.

Nothing works. It will open other file types with no problems, but not any STL file.

Please help!

Kind Regards, Tae.

Hi,

Try to remove Cura from your computer. Then go to your Program files to remove the Cura folder. And then you can reinstall Cura 2.6...

Let me know if it works now!

What do the logs say?

Help -> Show Configuration Folder. In that folder there's a file named Cura.log. Paste that into pastebin.com, and post a link here.

Sorry, delay in response. I ended up ditching Cura for a while due to an inability to get it recognising files. I can, however, get Cura 2.5 to work with no problems. Any version after that doesn't acknowledge that STL files exist!?!

I've attempted a reinstall of multiple versions with folder removal. No luck. The cura log is too long for my free pastebin.com account.

For example...

2.5 stl is an option!

2.5.thumb.png.7e358ab3faa13b783c33498fca65ef25.png

Then 3.0 stl missing?

3.0.thumb.png.138ca5c43b5db302480f47288c4dcabe.png

I just had Cura installed on my work PC. It is hit or miss on loading .stl files and I cannot figure out what is causing it. I get the same error as above. I have made some very simple geometry that has only a very low triangle count. Below is my log file for the last error. Anyone have any ideas?

2017-12-29 15:22:17,411 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [76]: Exception: Exception occurred while loading file C:/Users/t3743ms/Documents/_Sheridan/3D_Printing/_.STL Files/hexlock_x_t.stl
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,423 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]: Traceback (most recent call last):
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,426 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]:   File "stl\stl.py", line 328, in from_file
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,429 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]:   File "stl\stl.py", line 93, in load
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,437 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]:   File "stl\stl.py", line 108, in _load_binary
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,441 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]: AssertionError: File too large, got 603979776 triangles which exceeds the maximum of 10000000
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,445 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]: 
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,448 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]: During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,451 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]: 
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,454 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]: Traceback (most recent call last):
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,457 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]:   File "X:\3.1\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\FileHandler\ReadFileJob.py", line 66, in run
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,460 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]:   File "X:\3.1\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Mesh\MeshFileHandler.py", line 28, in readerRead
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,463 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]:   File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.1\plugins\FileHandlers\STLReader\STLReader.py", line 56, in read
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,466 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]:     self.load_file(file_name, mesh_builder, _use_numpystl = use_numpystl)
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,474 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]:   File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.1\plugins\FileHandlers\STLReader\STLReader.py", line 35, in load_file
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,478 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]:     self._loadWithNumpySTL(file_name, mesh_builder)
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,481 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]:   File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.1\plugins\FileHandlers\STLReader\STLReader.py", line 87, in _loadWithNumpySTL
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,485 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]:     loaded_data = stl.mesh.Mesh.from_file(file_name)
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,493 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]:   File "stl\stl.py", line 333, in from_file
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,496 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]:   File "stl\stl.py", line 93, in load
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,499 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]:   File "stl\stl.py", line 108, in _load_binary
    2017-12-29 15:22:17,502 - ERROR - UM.Logger.logException [80]: AssertionError: File too large, got 603979776 triangles which exceeds the maximum of 10000000

Read the last line, it says what the problem is. Your file is too high resolution and Cura will not load it because of that. Reduce the number of triangles in your model (by changing the export settings of your CAD software or using something like Meshmixer, Windows 3D Builder, Meshlab etc) and it should work. Searching for something like "decimating mesh" on google should get you in the right direction.

I will see what i can do. Im using NX11 and we are locked down on what settings we can change. The .stl export options are very limited.

Thanks.

I found a couple settings that were open for modification. I reduced the setting down to default. Looks like its working for now. We'll see if I can break it again. Thanks!!!

I had this problem when ever I drag and drop from the thingiverse to the Cura software. But when I click on the stl file and select download, it will then open the figure up in a new Cura project.

Newbie here,

I just an Ender3 upgraded (pro), I ran the test dog print it went ok. I downloaded Freecad and made a simple circle or what looks like a puck. When I try to load the .stl file into Cura, it never shows up. Work are in Cura moves but no image. What am I doing wrong?

Maybe your object is so small that you cannot see it? I have this from time to time when loading STL files from someone else.

Hello Smithy and thanks for the reply.

When you say too small, you're referring to the image size and not the file size right? The image I was importing would or should have been 24mm diameter and 12mm tall. I guess that should have been big enough,  maybe not. When I get back to may printer (at work right now) I'll enlarge the object and see what happens. 

Thanks. 

Yes, I am referring to the image size and even if you think it has or should be 24mm there could be a problem when exporting the object as STL and importing into Cura. I have seen some STLs which have in Cura only 1mm or less and I was zooming in extremely to see the object. Something I need to scale up the object to 1000% to have in a proper size.

It depends on the CAD software you use or the designer has used. Sometimes they use different units (inches, mm) and then after export and import you get these very small objects in Cura. 

There is also an option in Cura to scale up very small object during the import, but it never worked for me. You could also try to set the option in the preferences to "select the object after import" then you don't have to search for the object after import and you can go directly to the scale tool on the left and try what happens after you scale up it something bigger.

Aw ok. I did the the design in Freecad just to try it out, didn't even think about scaling at the time. So it could be in the work plain.🤔 

Thank you.

So this morning I was looking in cura to find some more options to zoom in with, i don't seem to have any and i still cannot see or find the imported image.

Cura I have is v15.04...and latest Freecad version, running windows 10.

I deleted the image, folder, and made a new folder and a bigger image.  Still is not showing in the work plain.

Next thing to do would be uninstall cura?

Can you import any other STL file not from Freecad?

Post your Freecad STL export here please.

So this morning I was looking in cura to find some more options to zoom in with, i don't seem to have any and i still cannot see or find the imported image.

Cura I have is v15.04...and latest Freecad version, running windows 10.

I deleted the image, folder, and made a new folder and a bigger image.  Still is not showing in the work plain.

Next thing to do would be uninstall cura?

Naw not yet, I was wondering about using a different cad program that's not cloud base. No high speed internet, needed something to work with offline. 

If given the chance I'll try and load the file today.

Thanks Smitty for helping me out with this.

Download any STL file from thingiverse and try to load it into Cura, just to see if it is your workflow, your CAD software or something else with Cura. If the thingiverse STL works, then it has nothing to do with Cura and you can investigate further.

Alright, I'll give it a shot first chance I get, have to be when I get home.

Hey thanks again.

So here is the one from freecad, haven't went to thingverse yet. Going to try that now and see what happens.

Thanks.

puck.stl

Your STL file is invalid, I also cannot import it to Cura. So your issue is definitely your STL file which is corrupt or invalid for whatever reason.

Most definitely, I sign up on the Thingiverse sie, downloaded a file, loaded it in Cura, and it showed up no problem.

So yeah I got issues to work out. I'll work on it and see what comes from it and let you know what the outcome is.

Again thanks for the help much appreciated.

It is fine that we have identified your issue and problem, so you have a clue where to start.