Cura unable to open any STL file

tredog

Posted · Cura unable to open any STL file

Spit fire and save the matches. 

So uninstall freecad. Download Desiingspark, and buit a real quick cylinder. Imported to Cura....and there it is. Just like that , it verx it verx!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

So I downloaded design spark and am using it for now, so far so good. 

Was having issue with the printer printing in the center of the build plate,  unchecked the origin box, and away we go.

So my first actual useful part I printed from design to application  was a success. 

Just wanted to say thanks for the help and sharing your knowledge with me,  much appreciated. 

20190124_191735.jpg

I tried a different cad program,  went to thingverse, grabbed a model, opened it in cura and it worked.

After that, I uninstalled the cura 15.xx that came with my ender. Download the newer version of cura 3.xx, after that I downloaded desingspark mechanical.  So far that's how I've been able to get by. Smithy helped me a bunch, hope this helps if not, we'll work it out.

i have downloaded cure for my laptop. it opens cura fine. i have no problems with cura on my desktop pc but on my laptop it does not open any .stl file at all. ive tried exporting from thingiverse and it has no message and seems to just not load. it doesnt crash and the camera still moves but no model at all.

Just a tip for newbies (like me I am literally on day two--but, have a very successful test print :)...I was having fits with Cura not showing my exported STL models. I have many small parts to fabricate and exporting them from AutoCad (to STL) was simple enough, yet they weren't loading in Cura. Ah, but they were. They were imported and in the center of of the platform (or stage) as they should, but they were too microscopic (in scale) you literally couldn't see them. As many have already replied, the problem is Cura is operating in mm and many of us are using inches. I was able to solve my problem by going up to the menu and under Edit > Select all models...that selected what I could not see, and then that exposed the grayed out toolbar on the left. Click on the scale icon (2nd one down) and you can scale your object up to the proper size (you'll need to convert the Z from inches to mm to get the proper scale factor--try it). I hope this helps others as I was really frustrated.