Filament change doesn't work.

droopas

Posted · Filament change doesn't work.

After installing the extruder upgrade for my UM2 the

filament change hasn't been working properly:

Everything else works flawlessly, I have updated the E steps in firmware but otherwise nothing.

What firmware did you install? And weird sounds at the end...

Can you check if the knurled wheel is properly secured? There is a little screw that is suppose to prevent it from rotating on the shaft (some/most E-motors have a D-shaft, dunno about yours). It could be that it is not secured properly.

I also see that you set your indicator at the far top. It should be in the middle.

That is all I could think of right now.. good luck!

The firmware is this one:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2Marlin

I didn't find any guide to modify E-steps to fit UM2+, so I had to adjust it by trial and error. The knurled wheel seems okay, it is not an issue of slippage but more that the motors are alternating between slow/fast and making weird Star Wars noices.

I am convinced it is a matter of the firmware, perhaps it has to do with maximal speed/acceleration of the E-stepper not being changed. Does anyone have the value of these? In the meantime I will have a go at adjusting those.

Where might one find this firmware?

I havn't been able to flash via Cura yet, so I am hoping there is a download somewhere.

The value of e steps/mm is not the only difference. What about the rotation direction? How did you solved this with the wrong firmware? Did you swapped the cables?

Regarding the firmware update: which operation system? The firmware files are bundled with Cura, there's no separate download location AFAIK. In case of Windows: you can download the latest stable Cura version and open the install program with a zip-tool (e.g. 7-Zip). The firmware files reside in the folder "/resources/firmware". "MarlinUltimaker2plus.hex" would be the right variant in your case.

You can use an older version of Cura (15.04 "Machine -> Install custom firmware"), if this works better for you. Or even "avrdude" directly on the command line - but i always forget the correct parameters... :-)

Yes, I think you should just install the right firmware that we made for you :)

Cura should show you the way!

I have installed the firmware from Cura, but I still have the same problem.

One thing I noticed was that I had to bump up the E-steps to twice the value. The motor I use is 0.9°, so I'm thinking that it stalls because the movement during load/unload is too fast for a motor which is supposed to be 1.8°.

Oh well I guess I will have to load manually as always :(

I have installed the firmware from Cura, but I still have the same problem.

One thing I noticed was that I had to bump up the E-steps to twice the value. The motor I use is 0.9°, so I'm thinking that it stalls because the movement during load/unload is too fast for a motor which is supposed to be 1.8°.

Oh well I guess I will have to load manually as always :(

wait, this all sounds superbad.

questions

1)did you buy the official upgrade kit or did you put a lot of stuff together?

2)did you start cura, select the UM2+, then select upgrade firmware and install that firmware?

3)did you do a factory reset after all this?