ZGE Mark2

Hey Gudo, very nice build!

I also like the way you solved the object cooling fans, I have to copy that :)

Anyone has ever tried UM Marlin on a corexy setup? ...

I did a year ago. Transformed UM2 having corexy inside the frame, while using standard UM2 firmware. I did have some problems with "define Quick_Home". You should not use this option in combination with corexy.

I'm also thinkering on dockable um3 cores. Downside of using ultimainboard, is having only 2 heaters available (+build plate ofc). While using corexy, there should be many more cores inside... ;)

Hi and thanks EdgE !

As it's very modular this cooling fan design could be applied to any print head system.

For the coreXY project I'm not yet at the firmware management stage but I think yet that there is a good alternative that is the Duet3D which could do the job without having too much headache !

neotko already uses it on its machine, it looks interesting !

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · ZGE Mark2

With all these mods, the only original part remaining is the frame...

So why not designing a frame as well so we can build the printer from scratch ?

;)

And the endstops :D ! Ofc bed, hotend and psu.

That was the idea of @gudo and he did some work around it (well he did all). But we don’t have Medici to found our experiments, so I banged Gudo about making a um2 frame adaptation for the corexy and he always brilliant found a good solution.

Ofc, indeed that would be the best path. Anyone can cnc steel 2mm for free? :D

The good thing is that reusing the frame at least gives a good starting point. And with cheap aluminum extrusions it could be easy to reinforce it if necessary. Ofc, something bigger could be nice to have at least some free area for wiper, more tools, etc.

Also just some numbers. The Misumi rails are around 150€ (40€-50€ each x3 + delivery). On top of that if you make all bigger they could be 200€ just for the rails, then the frame, depends on how it’s make could be easily be 250-350€. And that’s raw cost. Then you add the board, cnc extras... Reusing the frame saves a a lot, and if for umo needs alu extrusion the are fairly cheap and easy to source.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

So why not designing a frame as well so we can build the printer from scratch ?

;)

Hi amedee

Yes it's what is planned for the final

5a333ef7ddd24_DIYCoreXYprinter.thumb.jpg.c44485ad1578d30549fdba9a7230d8c7.jpg

• Like 3

Not knowing the details of the CoreXY mod for the stock frame...I imagine that it would not be that hard to change it to fit the UM2 aluminium extrusion clone:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:811271

But @gudo's end-goal looks much nicer :)

On my brief experience with a alu extrusion machine I must say that they are rigid but also without some panels to close it there’s a big difference between with and without. I’m talking about the east3dgecko I’m testing that also has corexy (all china cheap but quite decent so far). A full alu frame could work but imo without some panels to close ‘the box’ the rigidity changes a lot.

Hi !

without panels or additional cross reinfort tubes, despite a very tight corner junctions, with time any extruded aluminium structures would move as a 3D deformable trapezoid ! ;)

• Like 1

I have soon a functional MPCNC at home with a ~800*800mm work area.

When I have it all setup, I wouldn't mind milling frames for free, so the cost would only be the material and shipping.

But I don't know if this machine can mill 2mm steel plates, but plywood and aluminium shouldn't be a problem.

I would be 'pay' enough to be able to build a machine like this myself :)

• Like 1

@Gudo, nice design, that open C-frame. For inspiration: have a look to this nice DIY printer:

http://well-engineered.net/index.php/en/projects

Well, that's not completely true. You do need to buy longer belts and some more pulley's for sure. You also need to print some new brackets and optional create a second top plate (wood will do). But all other parts could just be re-used in a different order..

Edited by Guest

And the endstops :D! Ofc bed, hotend and psu.

Well, with the 'print core' design you don't keep the hotend, and I am not sure the PSU is good enough for operating dual heads...

So it is just the heated bed left over (and the end-stops...)

That was the idea of @gudo and he did some work around it (well he did all). But we don’t have Medici to found our experiments, so I banged Gudo about making a um2 frame adaptation for the corexy and he always brilliant found a good solution.

Yes it is brilliant and I appreciate the context. When you do have parts it is always nice to reuse them, and with all the experiments you already did it is a logical step.

But looking from another angle for somebody having a good working stock UM2(+) it is a bit crazy to throw away everything but the frame (and the end-stops) for such a mod.

It makes more sense to build a frame from scratch (or source an UM2 frame) than dismantling an already good printer...

And a a slightly bigger frame would give more room for parking dual extrusion

Also just some numbers. The Misumi rails are around 150€ (40€-50€ each x3 + delivery). On top of that if you make all bigger they could be 200€ just for the rails, then the frame, depends on how it’s make could be easily be 250-350€. And that’s raw cost. Then you add the board, cnc extras...

Yes, whatever option you choose, it won't be cheap if you target quality...

BTW, for linear rails you might also consider CPC-Europa. It is not Misumi, but they are not bad at all...

• Like 2

A full alu frame could work but imo without some panels to close ‘the box’ the rigidity changes a lot.

without panels or additional cross reinfort tubes, despite a very tight corner junctions, with time  any extruded aluminium structures would move as a 3D deformable trapezoid ! ;)

I totally understand that...but making a frame with alu-extrusion and then making some plates, or crossings, to stiffen it up is far easier to do than creating a frame when you don't have a CNC :)

• Like 2

Sure nilrog you're right ! I had thought to this too, it was just for discuss...:)

Also we can’t make every version for every user. That could be so gigantic we will never get anything done. Also, let’s do first one thing that works, then let the opensource evolve :D

• Like 3

It 's really a shame that Cura did not think to allow the  Ironing application  to specific layers during the print and not only on the last top layer which in many cases is not necessarily flat, as the sample here, or as thousand of others print models designs !?

I'm pretty sure the ironing is applied to every flat surface cura_neosanding.thumb.jpg.b540f55c9d327bae845d82e3c0441191.jpg

you can see the thinner neosanding lines on both these flat surfaces on the same part

• Like 2

It 's really a shame that Cura did not think to allow the  Ironing application  to specific layers during the print and not only on the last top layer which in many cases is not necessarily flat, as the sample here, or as thousand of others print models designs !?

I'm pretty sure the ironing is applied to every flat surface cura_neosanding.thumb.jpg.b540f55c9d327bae845d82e3c0441191.jpg

you can see the thinner neosanding lines on both these flat surfaces on the same part

Hi catohagen !

Good point , you're right !

I apologize to Cura , it's smarter than I thought, as I did not see any layers options in Ironing's settings, I thought that by default it would concern only the final top layer of the print.

It works quite well, the result is not yet perfect time to practice more this feature and its settings !

20170902_165152.thumb.jpg.1942255ad28628c0252cfd926e04b672.jpg

• Like 1

Sure nilrog you're right !  I had thought to this too,  it was just for discuss...:)

Also we can’t make every version for every user. That could be so gigantic we will never get anything done. Also, let’s do first one thing that works, then let the opensource evolve :D

I know...and I don't expect you too...I was just throwing out some ideas from my head :p

And the fact that you are doing a CoreXY mod that can be applied to an Ultimaker is awesome in itself.

I'm so exited for all the things you and @gudo are throwing at us <3

And right now I don't have time to evolve my thoughts...but as a famous Swedish film character (after a Danish original) said..."Jag har en plan!"...aka. "I have a plan!" :)

Unfortunately most of his plans faulted and they ended up in jail...but at the end they still came out ok :p

Edited by Guest
    Added one more awe :P
    • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok update for Beta testers, the Dropbox files are online and updated, with UM2 version and the UM3 core version/hack.

Remember to PM to get read access to the folder where all the stuff is.

Cheers and happy modding!

A side note update:

Gudo and I just started shopping since his GudoXYCore it's done, we will start to plug stuff here and there in a few weeks (misumi doesn't arrive until the 8 October). So get ready to be amazed.

On another side note, Misumi rails cost around 178€ for a set of 3, Gudo went for the high quality set and I gambled getting only the X one from Misumi and other 5 (I want to do this on 2 printers) at a Spain distributor that a friend at Twitter shared, but basically they are hiwin clones at 30€ aprox each. Will be interesting to see the high quality (gudo) and the med quality (mine) differences, but overall with the ZGE + Rails this will be really interesting!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

This is a really awesome thread.  I just happen to stumble across it, when I was looking up how to do a corexy upgrade to my ultimaker 2.  I have a few questions though.

Did the final design get completed, and if so where can I get the STL files?

Also where can I get the software? 

Is this listed in cura?

Uploaded Gudo Xy Core files

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4153081

Also, special thanks to @foehnsturm. I did put Gudo and Him in contact years ago and they talked about how to improve and make the XY motors belt tensioning system, one of the key parts for this CoreXY to work as nciely as it does. If you don't know Foehnsturm, he's the guy that came with the Mark2 Tool changer and one of the most brilliant guys I know.

I won't answer any question about how to build it. For questions, use the twitter account, so everything stays public, also I will not answer any PM about this 🙂

Cheers and happy modding!

Edited by neotko

Hello @neotko, is there any chance of getting the design files for the duel tool changer heads, mounts etc... as seen on the first post?

Many thanks,

Posted · ZGE Mark2
    7 hours ago, danielkrice said:

Hello @neotko, is there any chance of getting the design files for the duel tool changer heads, mounts etc... as seen on the first post?

Many thanks,

Sure will upload it this week

• Like 1

Posted · ZGE Mark2

All Gudo Mark 2 work is up. There are 2 versions UM2 hotend and Gudo favourite one, a version that uses UM3 cores

Have fun, and remember to share, make and think with passion, just like Gudo did. Cheers!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4203725

• Like 2
    • Thanks 1

All I can say is...wow. I’ve been away from the 3D print communities for a few years. The developments are astonishing. Amazing work Gudo (rip, sad to read he passed), neotko and the rest of the team. 

Ive got two ultimaker originals, one in standard form (Aside from GT2 and direct drive conversion), and one with with a dual tool changer I designed and built in 2015 hot on the heels of foehnsturm when he published his idea. It works well, but is limited being Bowden. 

I came across the ZGE a few days ago, so set about procuring the parts to upgrade the standard UMO to um2+ head for the zge system. Now I’ve seen this...I need to do it!

@neotko, did you successfully create this system with um2 heads? I’ve got direct drive conversion, so would need to have the zge on the opposite side corner. Can you see any issues with this? Also, I was thinking about printing in xt-cf20, any reason not to use this material? Failing that it’ll be standard XT. 

ps...meantime I printed you Dan ducts for umo head...wow, great design! Shows how long I’ve been out of the game!

thanks all!

Edited by macua85