Cura is unusably slow.

Renalan

Posted · Cura is unusably slow.

I'm having trouble with Cura being unusably slow. I deleted both my appdata folders and reinstalled and the initial launch time before making it to the build screen was around 30 minutes. Every time I do anything to the program (hit a button, etc) it hangs for several minutes with the windows loading icon.

Log is below:

https://hastebin.com/owufuveqez.pas

Posted (edited) · Cura is unusably slow.

It takes a mere 40 seconds to load on my iMac. (3.5GHz i7, 24GB, SSD)

Of course, that's three times longer than Photoshop, formerly the record-holder for slow loading software...

I can't imagine why they ever need to load all that unnecessary crap - that's just foolish programming. Perhaps they could consider loading only those printers that the user will actually use, in some future version?

(One can cut about 2/3 of the launch time by removing the dozens of never-to-be-used printer profiles from inside Cura. )

Edited by Guest

Initial launch after downloading Cura 2.7...after more than one minute it still hasn't popped up...

Second launch attempt...60 sec until Cura finished loading...don't thing this version is going to be used so much :(

When reporting things like this, it would be helpful to know more about your systems. OS, CPU, amount of RAM, SSD or harddisk? If it really took 30 minutes, something is really, really wrong somewhere (though I applaud your patience).

Macbook Air with 8GB RAM...happily running Fusion 360, Simplify3D et.al. and they launch faster than Cura.

Using Win 8.1 Pro, i7-6700K (4 Ghz), NVidia Geforce GTX1080, 256GB SSD card and USB external drive with 32 GB Ram.

Cura has always opened on par with S3D, AI, Photoshop, AE, Premiere. 3DS MAX has always taken the longest to load on a fresh boot. After fresh start, reopening is faster, but still the slowest.

To be fair, I have not timed first click to open on any of them, but not noticeably awkward.

Ya, I have to agree, Cura loads VERY SLOW.  gotten slow with each version.  would be nice is we could cut away the fat we aren't using to load faster. 2.5 and up has gotten worse with each update.

Mac OSX 10.12.x Mac mini 2.4 dual.

Edited by Guest

I cannot fully agree. Cura 2.5 was significantly faster than 2.4. And 2.7 looks to me to be a bit faster with switching profiles than 2.6. However, a faster startup would indeed be nice if possible.

Make the startup faster is very high on our backlog. You can expect improvements soon.

SO, I just removed a MESS of stuff from the content folder (mac) as well as turned off a couple plug ins I'll never use.. deffinetly starts up faster.. not lightening fast or anything, but noticable.  More details after i play a bit and make sure I didn't screw anything up.

:p

Edited by Guest

Having less plugins will definitely speed up starting. Most of the time is spent on the material profiles & machines.

Having less plugins will definitely speed up starting. Most of the time is spent on the material profiles & machines.

yup.. got rid of a bunch of that stuff too.. mostly the stock materials that 90% of I'll never use.

We're looking into an elegant way of solving this. It's nice to have a large list of printers, but not everyone should be bothered by it because we have hundreds of obscure materials / machines.

The best idea we've come up with is to make a system that works a bit like the plugin browser, but then for materials / machines. That also adds the benefit that we can expand on that system, so people can discuss settings (It's then a bit more like a marketplace, but free)

MacBook Pro 2013+ 16BG RAM

macOS High Sierra 10.13.5

Lulzbot Cura 3.2.21

Lulzbot Mini USB Attached.

My computer works fine doing even complicated things like deep learning tasks, numerical analysis, 3D rendering, software development in Java, Python, C, C++, interacting with my various USB attached SBC's, sensors, Arduino's, etc.

Cura 3.2.21 is Unacceptably Slow - uselessly slow

Statements like "It loads fine on my Mac" are completely useless to the community.  Also, statements like "re-install your operating system" are equally useless.  This is a relatively simple piece of software that is suffering from a critical software design flaw.  Sitting idle on my computer with nothing else running, and no projects loaded, it's burning 100% of a CPU.  It's out of the box having done nothing more complex than selecting the Lulzbot mini as the default printer.

Navigating the user interface results in lags in responsiveness in the seconds for any simple action like moving the mouse from tab to tab.  I don't even want to contemplate what will happen when I try to load and STL file.

I started to look at the source code and notice that its utilizing wxPython for a GUI interface. Core committers should run the profiler to find the tight loop.  Likely, its a loop incorporating the GUI event thread.  Is the code busy checking for input from the USB and then checking for events on the event thread?

I recognize that my version may be altered by the Lulzbot folks but I see from this forum that the problem is apparently pervasive.

Reggie

You are looking at posts that are almost a year old. There are very few complaints about unmodified Cura performance these days, and it loads and runs noticeably faster with current versions.
    Try Cura 3.4.

Edited by eldrick

@ReggieCarey

Cura shouldn't be slow - it has worked very well for the last year or so.  The main thing that causes it to be slow is that it's looking on your computer for removable drives.  If you go to finder and try to disable/unmount all removable drives (for example don't connect your mac to your phone or to a USB stick, network drives,etc) it would be informative if that helps.  Also some people have had trouble with antivirus software.  Also try disconnecting from the network.  If any of these things suddenly makes it work fine then that's a clue where the problem is.

I'm not saying you will have to disconnect from the network forever - just that this may help isolate your issue.

• Like 3

Thanks for the suggestions and a path to diagnosis. Here are my results:

I've got no removable drives right now and nothing attached via USB.  I actually tried launching Cura with and without having the printer USB attached.  There was no difference in the slowness or CPU utilization. I then tried launching with and without having WIFI active.  That had no effect.  Also, Cura wants to listen on some port and I get asked each time.  I've launched with and without allowing this ability to listen on some port. In all cases, the performance is still laggy and the CPU utilization is still at or above 100%.  For reference, when I terminate the program or prior to launching, CPU utilization sits at around 5% or less.

From an information standpoint, none of the suggested things to try had any effect on the application performance or CPU utilization.

I'm wondering if I should go ahead and push towards compiling the code locally and utilizing a profiler to identify the problem code block.  Does any one who commits, work on a MacBook at or newer than my vintage computer?  If so, do you experience the performance issue? Are you running the latest patched macOS version from Apple?

B.T.W. The previous version of Cura 2.6.69 works relatively well on my computer (it's got serious font issues though).

Reggie

I've never seen this question about the ability to listen on some port.  Could you explain more about that?  This is a large red flag in my view - it could be the whole problem.

Also if you go into finder and look at all storage devices could you list them?  Do you have network drives that are down when you disable wifi but are still listed?

Hopefully what you provided so far will help someone figure this out.

@ctbeke @ahoeben @smartavionics - maybe one of these people have an idea or know who would.

I still find it unbearably slow.  the loading of the interface drags on.. and loads pieces at a time.   hit "slice" and it does nothing for up to 30 seconds then starts slicing. I still use it as it has some of the best features but man it's the only slicer (geesh only app period) that drags like this... 

I have continued to remove large amounts of wasted add-ons and profiles which help a lot, but still a drag to run.  version 3.4 has improved it a bit.. but still slow

Edited by Thomllama

12 hours ago, ReggieCarey said:

Thanks for the suggestions and a path to diagnosis. Here are my results:

I've got no removable drives right now and nothing attached via USB.  I actually tried launching Cura with and without having the printer USB attached.  There was no difference in the slowness or CPU utilization. I then tried launching with and without having WIFI active.  That had no effect.  Also, Cura wants to listen on some port and I get asked each time.  I've launched with and without allowing this ability to listen on some port. In all cases, the performance is still laggy and the CPU utilization is still at or above 100%.  For reference, when I terminate the program or prior to launching, CPU utilization sits at around 5% or less.

From an information standpoint, none of the suggested things to try had any effect on the application performance or CPU utilization.

I'm wondering if I should go ahead and push towards compiling the code locally and utilizing a profiler to identify the problem code block.  Does any one who commits, work on a MacBook at or newer than my vintage computer?  If so, do you experience the performance issue? Are you running the latest patched macOS version from Apple?

B.T.W. The previous version of Cura 2.6.69 works relatively well on my computer (it's got serious font issues though).

Reggie

And have you tried Cura 3.4.0?

Cura should be fast even on a slow computer.  It's checking something on your computer repeatedly.  Did you look at all the things it thinks are drives on your mac?  Could you explain about the port thing?

Myself i have

Cura 3.4

- Slice automatically unchecked

- no check for updates at start up

- no printing information sent

- I have suppress 90% of printers and materials and 70% of quality profiles

Windows 7

64 bits, 4GO Ram, SSD disk drive 250GO

Start up last less than 30 seconds

For the team, I think it would be very nice to clearly show when the User has clicked on the 'prepare' button that Cura is working. Currently, you have to wait until the slicing bar is moving to see that Cura is really working, which can be a long ...long time if the STL File is large

Edited by JCD
    text edition

What's your processor?

My Intel i5 laptop only has 12gb of RAM and like most things on Windows 10 with under 16gb of RAM...stuff is slow.

My other laptop is an Intel i7-3630QM (2.4ghz quad core) with 32gb RAM and Samsung EVO 950 SSD.  From double click to Cura ready to go takes 15.58 seconds.  (Simplify3D is 2.51 seconds)

I wish the program didn't bog down while working on models, rotating and previewing.  My new desktop is an Intel I7 7700, 32gb, SSD and nvidia GTX1070.  It's clunky there too.

Here is a picture of my system control panel

CaptureSyteme.JPG.991863444852a0b4962012d2131024ed.JPG