Application Error trying to start Cura 2.7

CCA1

Posted · Application Error trying to start Cura 2.7

It looks like more people have this problem. If I google it, the first hit suggests a fix: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-fix-the-application-is-unable-to-start-correctly-0xc00007b-error/

I think you already tried some of these steps? Could you try the others? Next week we will release 3.2 beta, but I think you will still have that crash because it is on a 'lower level' than Cura.

According to this, 0xc00007b means INVALID_IMAGE_FORMAT, which usually comes down to some system files missing or getting corrupted. They say it is a common bug in NVidia drivers. Perhaps you could try updating your graphical drivers?

Looking around with a search engine, it seems that a lot of 3D graphics applications (lots of games) have this problem.

Just tried 3.2 Beta.......... Same results. No loading the program. I have absolutely everything else running great on my computer but Cura. Just can't understand it. And why can I run all the older versions but none of the newer? It HAS to be something to do with what they changed in Cura.

I can get my older computer out and try that, but I can't find a 32 bit application for the Cura programs past 2.3.1? Can anyone tell me where those are? Or did they stop making 32 bit an option after that?

And isn't it a coincidence that the last version offered as a 32 bit as well as a 64 bit just happens to be the last version in 64 bit to work on my computer? There HAS to be something connecting that to my problem. Cura developers..... Any thoughts?

Ultimaker stopped supporting Windows 32 bit. After Cura 2.3.1, only 64 bit releases were built.

Thanks for the response Ahoeben. Any thoughts to the relation of Cura not working after that decision? Was there something left out, thinking it was only for 32 bit, that should have been left in that would make it stop working on certain systems? I know I'm reaching here, but something happened. Just trying to figure out what.

Cura uses a lot of external components, such as for example the UI framework Qt. Like Cura itself, these components are regularly updated to fix bugs. I'm sure Cura 2.4 (and newer) have many of these updated components. My guess is that there is something on your systems that has mucked up a runtime, shared library or even a path. As an anecdote: For a very long time we there were some users reporting that Cura did not display any icons. Cura worked fine, but all icons drew as solid rectangles. All developers were stumped, until someone found out that there was an installer for a (somewhat old) video editor that had set an environment variable that should not be set (https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/1722)

Since the problem seems to be fairly contained to your wife's and your system, I would say there is something installed or configured on both your systems that somehow causes the incompatibility.

• Like 1

Thanks again Ahoeben. I've tried replacing and updating everything I can think of, and must just have something still not updated or like you said, messed up. I thought it was an odd coincidence it relates directly to when Ultimaker stopped supporting 32 bits, even though my system is a 64 bit system.

Are there any other free slicing software that supports the Mark 2 upgrade? Or am I just stuck until I can purchase a new computer in a year or two? Or do I just sell my printer? Drastic measure for sure, but what good does it do me just sitting there?

Are you really sure you run a 64bits windows 7 (I can't think of anything else anymore)?:

Windows 7: 64-bit or 32-bit?

1. Click or tap on the Start button and then Control Panel.

2. Click or tap on the System and Security link.

Note: If you're viewing either the Large icons or Small icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Just click or touch on the System icon and then proceed to Step 4.

3. In the System and Security window, click/tap on the System link.

4. When the System window opens, titled as View basic information about your computer, locate the System area below the oversized Windows logo.

5. In the System area, look for System type among the other statistics about your computer.

The System type will report either a 32-bit Operating System or a 64-bit Operating System.

Here is my system info.

system info.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CCA1 said:

Are there any other free slicing software that supports the Mark 2 upgrade?

Not that I am aware of, but I know fairly little of the Mark 2 upgrade.

20 minutes ago, CCA1 said:

Or am I just stuck until I can purchase a new computer in a year or two? Or do I just sell my printer? Drastic measure for sure, but what good does it do me just sitting there?

Slightly less drastic: you could run Cura on Linux. It works fine for me in a virtual machine too. Doesn't cost a thing, but some time to get things setup.

This might sound silly but....... What's Linux? I thought that was only for macs? Or am I thinking of something else?

Linux is a different operating system. Think of a replacement for Windows. You can wipe Windows off your computer and only put a flavor of Linux on it, or you can install Linux on a Virtual Machine, making it run "inside"  Windows. But your question alone makes me reconsider my answer as an option.

Have you considered installing Windows anew? Possibly on a spare (or new) harddisk, so you can go back to your original harddisk if it turns out not to work?

I have considered re-installing Windows, but with everything I have on here that I need for work, (This is my sole source of bread winning) it scares me to think what would happen if I miss anything or anything gets messed up.

So I can't wipe Windows off or my other programs wont run. And I don't think running a "virtual" machine is quite up my alley in terms of what I probably need to know to get it done right.

I don't have any spare hard disks to mess with. I have also been considering installing a solid state hard drive as an upgrade, but have heard that whatever issues I have on the current hard drive will "follow through" to the new one when I do a "clone" to the new drive.

Then I cannot help you.

23 hours ago, CCA1 said:

And isn't it a coincidence that the last version offered as a 32 bit as well as a 64 bit just happens to be the last version in 64 bit to work on my computer? There HAS to be something connecting that to my problem.

Sure - I think that's clear by now. The error 0xc00007b (INVALID_IMAGE_FORMAT) indicates that at least one loaded DLL has the wrong image format (32 bit instead of 64 bit).

In your case obviously a dependent file, that Cura 2.7 does not need...

Unfortunately there are many possible reasons for this. It's quite common on Windows that installation programs overwrite system files or are setting weird environment variables.

Your best chance is to check for any QT related environment variables, or change the order of the entries in the PATH variable (even more detective work and 'trial and error').

8 minutes ago, tinkergnome said:

Your best chance is to check for any QT related environment variables, or change the order of the entries in the PATH variable

Thanks tinkergnome. I know you guys are all trying to help. And it is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, I don't know what this means or how to do it.

I am currently trying to work on ahoeben's advice for creating a virtual machine to run Linux inside of. I will report back when I get results but it won't be until tomorrow, or more likely the next day.

13 minutes ago, CCA1 said:

Unfortunately, I don't know what this means or how to do it.

It's not that hard. From your "System Info" screen (from above) choose "Advanced System Settings". This opens another dialog and there should by a button somewhere that is labelled "Environment Variables". Search for variables with a name that starts with "QT_..." and let us know, if you find something interesting...

Alternative: open a command prompt and type:

set >> %TEMP%\environment.log

Afterwards, type "%TEMP%\environment.log" in the address line of the Windows Explorer - this should open notepad with the generated file loaded. Post the content and let's take a look (if you want).

On the other hand... enjoy Linux! :)

QTJava is the only one in there that has a QT in the beginning.

Here is from the environment log:

ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
    APPDATA=C:\Users\Cad Cam Advantage\AppData\Roaming
    CLASSPATH=.;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_60\lib\ext\QTJava.zip
    CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
    CommonProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files
    CommonProgramW6432=C:\Program Files\Common Files
    COMPUTERNAME=SAMSUNG
    ComSpec=C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
    FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
    HOMEDRIVE=C:
    HOMEPATH=\Users\Cad Cam Advantage
    KEYSHOT=C:\Users\Cad Cam Advantage\Documents\KeyShot
    KEYSHOT4=C:\Users\Public\Documents\KeyShot 4
    LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\Cad Cam Advantage\AppData\Local
    LOGONSERVER=\\SAMSUNG
    NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=8
    OS=Windows_NT
    Path=C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\windows\system32;C:\windows;C:\windows\System32\Wbem;C:\windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\ExpressCache\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common
    PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
    PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=AMD64
    PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9, GenuineIntel
    PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
    PROCESSOR_REVISION=3a09
    ProgramData=C:\ProgramData
    ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
    ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)
    ProgramW6432=C:\Program Files
    PROMPT=$P$G
    PSModulePath=C:\windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\
    PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public
    QTJAVA=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_60\lib\ext\QTJava.zip
    SystemDrive=C:
    SystemRoot=C:\windows
    TEMP=C:\Users\CADCAM~1\AppData\Local\Temp
    TMP=C:\Users\CADCAM~1\AppData\Local\Temp
    UGII_3DCONNEXION_LIBRARY=%UGII_BASE_DIR%\ugalliance\vendor\startup\3DxNX.dll
    USERDOMAIN=Samsung
    USERNAME=Cad Cam Advantage
    USERPROFILE=C:\Users\Cad Cam Advantage
    VBOX_MSI_INSTALL_PATH=D:\VM\
    windir=C:\windows
    windows_tracing_flags=3
    windows_tracing_logfile=C:\BVTBin\Tests\installpackage\csilogfile.log

So someone in the french community had a similar problem, he solved it by copying the dll from the windows folder to the cura folder maybe this will help

1 hour ago, DidierKlein said:

So someone in the french community had a similar problem, he solved it by copying the dll from the windows folder to the cura folder maybe this will help

I think, it's worth a try - but which file(s) exactly? Do you have a link or a term to search for?

The DLL he copied was VCRUNTIME140.dll

I guess it's somewhere inside the windows system folder should be quite easy to find with the search thing in windows file explorer

Found it. copied it into the Cura folder directly. Still same result. Should it go into a specific folder inside Cura as well? I just put it into the main folder.