Is it possible to set up different layer heights for shell and infill?

Elaup

Posted · Is it possible to set up different layer heights for shell and infill?

Hi community!

I may have a challenging question for you experts: I'm wondering if it is possible to set up different layer heights for the infill and the shell? This because I would like to reduce the printing duration of solid parts (100% infill) while keeping good extrenal surfaces quality.

It seems possible to me to have for instance two layers on the shell for each internal layer (with twice thinner strings at the shell level), at least theoretically. Maybe using two nozzles with two different diameters? What I don't know is does the slicing enables this kind of setting or not?

I couldn't find anything about this kind of setting. I could have missed some topics. If you already did or if you are aware of stuff like that, I'll be glad to learn more about it!

Thanks for your help,

Elie

Thanks a lot for sharing this! Do you know if this is possible with every printer of the Ultimaker range, provided that some adaptations are made? Or is it only a feature available on the last model?

Thanks again! :)

Thanks a lot for sharing this! Do you know if this is possible with every printer of the Ultimaker range, provided that some adaptations are made? Or is it only a feature available on the last model?

Thanks again! :)

I am assuming that as long as it is a dual head printer, it can be set up thusly.

Even with two differently sized nozzles, Cura can not generally mix layer heights. Infill and support infill are two exceptions to this rule; you can set the "Infill Layer Thickness" to a multiple of the normal "Layer Height".

You can set layer height to 0.1 and infill layer thickness to 0.2, and there will be half as many infill layers at double the thickness of the shell. Setting infill layer thickness to 0.14 has no effect, it will be internally rounded back to 0.1.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comment Ahoeben! :) This is very good to know!

I added an UM3 on Cura and I tried to assign one extruder to the infill and the other one to the shell just to see the impact it has on duration, but I can't figure out how to set this up. I don't find eather the "Infill layer thickness" setting you talk about. I only have "Infill density".

But according to the link posted by Kmanstudios, it should be possible

It says: "A print core with a 0.8 mm nozzle has been assigned to print infill and inner walls here, while a 0.4 mm nozzle has been assigned to print all other features with more detail. This combination ensures significantly reduced print times."

Maybe there is a special setting to activate first?

Posted (edited) · Is it possible to set up different layer heights for shell and infill?

In the "Custom" sidebar, there is a search box right at the top. Try it, it's cool. Also, when you've found a setting that you would like to keep visible, press the right mouse button on it.

(Yes, these settings are not visible by default)

Edited by Guest

It says: "A print core with a 0.8 mm nozzle has been assigned to print infill and inner walls here, while a 0.4 mm nozzle has been assigned to print all other features with more detail. This combination ensures significantly reduced print times."

Sure, but it does not change the layer height.

If you want to change the layer height of the support (per your original question), you don't need dual extrusion with different nozzle sizes.

• Like 1

Ok. I think I had a misconception of the situation before your explanations. I assumed that the extruded strings could be considered as round, I mean with a circular section. And so that to have thinner strings on the shell, it was necessay to have more layers locally, like on this scheme. Is my understanding better now?

5a333f1bc2fcc_Schmashell-infill.thumb.png.572fc32e8f06f701413a29e76323a317.png

I still struggle to assign one extruder to the shell and the other one to the infill. For two different parts on the plate it is very easy, but for different areas of one same part I can't figure out how to do this. Is it necessay to divide the model before or something like that?