Ultimaker from scratch

Nastjaaa

Posted · Ultimaker from scratch

Hi,

Is there someone in this community with a self build Ultimaker (Original) from not-original kit parts?

I started on collecting some parts a while ago, but I had to pause the process for a while. Finally I'd like to continue building my printer and I'd love to hear from some of you how you builded it and what kind of parts did you use? Share your problems or some tips.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/50952-i-made-a-mini-ultimaker3-p

and here it is with the UM3 head...

I used a variety of parts, CNC'd the panels myself, based on modifications to the UM2GO step files, I added 5 cm in height (should not have done that, now it's less cute...) and adjusted it for CNC and 10mm plywood. Also CNC'd the bed.

It's probably a lot easier to just laser the panels of an UMO (or get a set online) but I made my own for the fun of it, not because a needed a printer...

I used many original Ultimaker parts, like belts and pulleys, just got them at an Ultimaker reseller, not cheap but very convenient.

Got the heated bed from 3D solex.

Used Chinese clone electronics, a bit of a pain, some connectors were up-side-down, but the original Ultimaker electronics are really expensive.

• Like 1

I downloaded the UMO frame and gave it a few changes.

Till now al parts that I bought were cheap and Chinese xD except the electronics. They're still not from Ultimaker itself, but still good quality.

I already have the axes and the motors, belts and pulleys and all needed screws. I think I'm only missing the printhead, ball-bearings and the printing bed (I can also just laser that), but I'm probably forgetting something...

I am also pretty nervous to start putting everything together, but really excited at the same time.

• Like 1