Cura 2.6.2 and 2.7 runs EXTREMELY slow on PC

kenjancef

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.6.2 and 2.7 runs EXTREMELY slow on PC

I have a Maker Select Plus and I was running the Cura version that came with my printer, but decided to go with 2.6.2, and it ran very well for about 2 months. But then all of a sudden about a week or so ago it started running EXTREMELY slow... it would literally take almost 3-4 minutes just to open, and if I try to change a setting it takes about a minute for me to even have it register a click in the box.

I upgraded to 2.7, and it runs the same.... not sure why it changed all of a sudden. My system is an HP desktop with a Corei5 processor with 16GB RAM, running Windows 10 Creators Update. I did no major upgrades since this happened, except for the typical Windows security updates. Nothing else changed.

Also, I save the prints to an SD card, so my printer isn't connected to anything.

Any thoughts? It's really starting to get aggravating...

EDIT: Happening with Cura 3.03 as well...

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura 2.6.2 and 2.7 runs EXTREMELY slow on PC

I have a very similar issue on one PC. It has been so slow as to be unusable with any Cura v2 build. On other PCs it has been fine. I have tried uninstall / reinstall, deleting any settings I could find, etc. Today, I'm going to try within a VM running on that machine.

Maybe something is wrong with your config. You could try to backup your settings, remove your settings and restart/reinstall Cura.

Doing that now, but had to download it again... and it is a s l o w download. If Cura "phones home" at all, then I can see why it's so slow....

The results of running in the VM:

It works great. On the same machine that runs super slow natively (Windows 10), I can run a VM (Ubuntu 16.04) with Cura inside it, and it works great. Nothing I have tried gets it running at anything close to bearable native.

The results of running in the VM:

It works great.  On the same machine that runs super slow natively (Windows 10), I can run a VM (Ubuntu 16.04) with Cura inside it, and it works great.  Nothing I have tried gets it running at anything close to bearable native.

That is really weird. Maybe another program is slowing Cura down? Like virusscanner or something?

That is really weird. Maybe another program is slowing Cura down? Like virusscanner or something?

I had the same thought. There is a virus scanner on the system that I do not have control over. I'm not sure how to determine if that's the cause without turning it off, but I don't have the permissions to do so.

Video drivers.

I had the same problem on my laptop. Windows kept 'updating' my video drivers to a version that just sucked for graphical updates. Slic3r, Sketchup, Cura, all slowed to a dead crawl.

I have Intel HD 4000 graphics chip and downloaded the two most recent driver updates from the Intel web site. Whenever M$ mucks with my Video Drivers, I just run either one (or both) to reload the good drivers and my PC screen updates go back to normal.

Video drivers.

I had the same problem on my laptop. Windows kept 'updating' my video drivers to a version that just sucked for graphical updates. Slic3r, Sketchup, Cura, all slowed to a dead crawl.

I have Intel HD 4000 graphics chip and downloaded the two most recent driver updates from the Intel web site. Whenever M$ mucks with my Video Drivers, I just run either one (or both) to reload the good drivers and my PC screen updates go back to normal.

All of the other 3D applications on my system work fine. Sketchup, Altium, Solidworks, etc. are all very responsive. It's only Cura that I have issues with.

When Cura is crawling on my PC, I can do anything else with no issue... browse with Chrome or Firefox, work on a Word document... I did this as a test to see if the WHOLE system slows down, but nope... it's just Cura...

I have a (about 5-6 year old) PC where Cura 2.7 is eating up (almost) the whole memory and makes Win10 swaping... so maybe having a PC less than 3 years old for Cura is not a bad idea. Didn't had that issue with Cura 2.6.1.

Edited by Guest

I still say is your video drivers :)

Could it be a wonky Windows 10 autoupdate? I've installed 2.7 on my dedicated Windows 7 Pro machine and it runs fine.

Cura 2.7 is terrible on my laptop. I have often had issues with the slowness of cura, to the point where I have now started using Simplyfy3D slicer ($150).

I prefer the interface of cura but it's just unworkable.

My laptop is mac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 + 16GB RAM bought last year so I don't see how it can be the computer specs.

Doubt its the video drivers, and it's the same with version 3.03. Primary system is a Corei5-2400 with 16GB RAM, tried 3 video cards: stock Intel HD 2000, NVidia GT730, and AMD Radeon HD6450. 2.7 ran acceptable, but then earlier this week it just crawled, VERY bad. literally took 7+ minutes for the program to even open past the splash screen. Saw the upgrade to 3.03, uninstalled 2.7, installed 3.03, SAME EXACT THING. I had the NVidia card installed with the latest drivers. I then swapped it with the Radeon, same thing, then the stock Intel, same thing.

I then took out my Lenovo laptop running a Corei7 Kaby Lake with 12GB RAM, and pretty much the same thing. This laptop has a NVidia GT940 dedicated video card, and it was STILL slow. This shouldn't be happening!!!!! My primary system was slow earlier this week, and I did the Fall Creator's Update, and it made no difference. My laptop is all updated short of the Fall Creator's Update, and it's the same.

WTF?????????????????????????????

Every time M$ sends out an Update, like the one that came out last week (KB4041676/

KB4041691) , its screws up my video drivers and I have to re-install them with versions I downloaded from the manufacturer.

Happened with Windows update last week, Cura slowed to a crawl, then I reinstalled the original video drivers and everything's back to normal speed....just saying that's what happens to me...

Every time M$ sends out an Update, like the one that came out last week (KB4041676/

KB4041691) , its screws up my video drivers and I have to re-install them with versions I downloaded from the manufacturer.

Happened with Windows update last week,  Cura slowed to a crawl, then I reinstalled the original video drivers and everything's back to normal speed....just saying that's what happens to me...

And a very good thought. Happens to me too, but I made sure the drivers were AMD/NVidia/Intel. Just doesn't make sense... I mean, what kind of video card does Cura need?? My laptop has a someone new and beefy card, and it struggles on that... and it's a Core i7!! If I'm going to spring for a more powerful video card, I may as well take that money and buy Simplify3D! I just can't deal with it anymore, and I don't know what else to try... and I haven't heard anything from Ultimaker...

Happened with Windows update last week,  Cura slowed to a crawl, then I reinstalled the original video drivers and everything's back to normal speed....just saying that's what happens to me...

And a very good thought. Happens to me too, but I made sure the drivers were AMD/NVidia/Intel. Just doesn't make sense... I mean, what kind of video card does Cura need?? My laptop has a someone new and beefy card, and it struggles on that... and it's a Core i7!! If I'm going to spring for a more powerful video card, I may as well take that money and buy Simplify3D! I just can't deal with it anymore, and I don't know what else to try... and I haven't heard anything from Ultimaker...

But newest is not always better. We've all seen M$ upgrades brick PCs. I downgrade my video drivers to get them to perform properly. And its not just Cura that runs slow with the newest (bad) video drivers: Sketchup, Slic3r, and others.

But newest is not always better. We've all seen M$ upgrades brick PCs. I downgrade my video drivers to get them to perform properly. And its not just Cura that runs slow with the newest (bad) video drivers: Sketchup, Slic3r, and others.

I always make sure that Microsoft doesn't install their crappy drivers. I only use the newest from the vendor's web site. I wish there was a way to somehow stop the Windows Updates from finding their own video drivers... it's a pain in the butt...

But an update... right now my system is using the stock Intel motherboard video card, so this morning I decided to reinstall the Radeon HD6450 card that was previously installed. I went to AMD's web site and had it detect the card, and it installed the drivers itself, and guess what..... Cura works! I don't know how or why, but it does. Maybe something got corrupt... I dunno... BUT.... I've had this happen in the past, then Cura goes right back to the crapper... so we'll see what happens. I know the HD6450 isn't the greatest card, but this is a work computer, so I'm very limited as to what I can put in it.

Again, we'll see how long this lasts for....

I wish there was a way to somehow stop the Windows Updates from finding their own video drivers...

Wish Granted:

How to Prevent Windows from Automatically Updating Specific Drivers

Caveat: Only works on Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise

And.... now it's running slow again... takes about 5-6 minutes just to load the program. I'm about to give up. I have NO CLUE why this is happening. And while Cura is "trying" to load, I can do anything else on my system and it runs as normal. If I close everything and run Cura, it STILL takes forever to load.... ugh....

And when using it, choices take a long time to register...

Edited by Guest

Cura 3.0.3 runs significantly smoother here than 2.7.0.

Cura 3.0.3 runs significantly smoother here than 2.7.0.

Well if you don't mind me asking, what are your system specs?

different PCs, all with i7 but with different ages (from 5 to 3 years old), all with Win10

different PCs, all with i7 but with different ages (from 5 to 3 years old), all with Win10

Same here... my main system is a 5 year old Core i5, 16GB RAM. I know my video card isn't the greatest, but I even tried it on a one year old Core i7 Lenovo laptop with 12GB RAM and a 256GB SSD, with dedicated NVidia 940 video, and it still runs like crap... I wish someone from Cura would chime in to maybe point me (and others) in some sort of direction... too much to ask I guess...