Advise on Printing Please while Im Printing Mark 2 parts

Posted · Advise on Printing Please while Im Printing Mark 2 parts

Hi

could I ask if anyone could give me advise on printing spall parts please,,, Ive been working on The Mark 2 Head parts and came to a problem, I'm using Simplify 3d and yes I know my retraction is high 6.50 and when I printed Head A, I obviously had a problem with the eyelets,, where retraction was just causing no print..

5a333f7f06efb_Mark2Bad.thumb.JPG.28d181c07de9c736e8b7a6200c8549a8.JPG

so I took retraction off completely and did another print with variable settings feature

5a333f7de9257_Mark2good.thumb.JPG.33039f6f4d2776d5382b3e23f30e8029.JPG

when it comes to small prints like the eylets would it make sense to half the retraction settings and speeds to cope with the situation,,, or is it more refined than that possibly going lower in percentages,

as you can see from the second pic it worked but could of been a lot cleaner if the react and coast were mare suitable to small parts..

This is in prelude to printing a small Hinge I have in Mind I either make it in one or make it 2 either way it is small so was going to use .20 nozzle

5a333f7f2bd8a_BalderHinge.thumb.JPG.a3b1e42341fb06597ef3f3e6605db4e3.JPG

Help and Advise Welcomed

5a333f7f06efb_Mark2Bad.thumb.JPG.28d181c07de9c736e8b7a6200c8549a8.JPG

5a333f7de9257_Mark2good.thumb.JPG.33039f6f4d2776d5382b3e23f30e8029.JPG

5a333f7f2bd8a_BalderHinge.thumb.JPG.a3b1e42341fb06597ef3f3e6605db4e3.JPG

hello,

i'm not expert but when i want to do this, i prefer to decrease the hole for the printing operation and in second step i 'm drill this hole with the right size.

hoping that this idea might be useful to you.

6Maker

• Like 1

How would you feel about using Cura for this print, if S3D has heavy retraction settings from which you are unsure how to change them to a lower value which would work better for this small parts?

Alternatively, you could indeed make the holes a little bit smaller and drill them out or something, with a little file you could make it smooth.

thanks for all the replies, how do you make the holes smaller, to drill out without modifying the STL

Havent used Cura for a long time now and un sure what setting I would use, no slur on cura its just what I got used to..

Posted (edited) · Advise on Printing Please while Im Printing Mark 2 parts

Maybe you could leave the holes the size they are: they will probably come out slightly smaller anyway. And then drill. Just try.

I would recommend drilling by hand, not with a machine: manually gives you much more feeling. A machine generates too much heat and may melt PLA or other low-temp plastics. Don't ask me how I know.  :)  I have bought a separate drill clamp (I don't know the correct name in English) to mount my drill into, so I can get a good grip on it.

Edit: added photo of drill clamp for manually drilling.

DSCN5622.thumb.JPG.bcd33809236414534d665e6ac120651f.JPG

Edited by Guest
    added photo

Geert, the word you're searching for is chuck or drill chuck. Have no idea why it's called that... have had PLA melt when drilling with a motor, but not generally other plastics

Geert, the word you're searching for is chuck or drill chuck.  Have no idea why it's called that...  have had PLA melt when drilling with a motor, but not generally other plastics

Thanks!