Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Vaperman

Are Igus Drylin bearings ok to replace standard z axis linear bearings UM2 ?

Hi guys, Having problems with the z axis linear bearings on my UM2, i purchased some off flea bay but their a POS :-( so i was wondering if anyone had used igus drylin bearings for their z axis ? I've had great success using them on prusa i3's in the past but wanted peoples opinion/experience of using them on a UM2 ? i've heard that misumi bearings are well recommended but can't seem to find any in the UK..any help greatly appreciated as i need to get my UM2 back up and running..

The problem with Drylin igus for round shafts it's that you would need to also use Igus shafts to make them work, because they are made for X tolerances, and if to that you add that you got them on ebay well... probably they are made for a clamp system that fits them so they won't work nice on your printer. IMO Igus it's nice but doesn't work with round shafts, on prusa the bearings are on a different situation where they are inside a bearing holder that press them etcetc. It's different.

Misumi flanged bearings work great, dunno where to get them on UK. But https://www.technobotsonline.com for me has deliver really good stuff, specially nice hotend LMU bearings, dunno if they have flanged bearings for the Z.

Edit. Yea they don't have the LMK12LUU but the LMK12UU (short version). Maybe you can get a friend with a company to order them for you to misumi, the C- (Cost effective) ones are decently priced (but not cheap) and they work great for me.

• Like 1

In addition to what Neotko said, the igus version doesn't have the right size. The standard/misumi version is a 12x21x57mm, the igus version instead is 12x22x57mm. The difference in the outer diameter means that the platform cover can't be mounted.

Here is the source, the version I'm talking about is the FJUMT-02-12 and they cost 29.78 € each, not so cheap.

• Like 2