Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
lowdown86

Live View of Print in Progress

So, I could swear I saw videos where the laptop a 3d printer was connected to was displaying a representative image of the print head as it is traveling along the print bed to give a live view of exactly what the printer is doing as it is doing it...was i imagining this or is there a software that will do this?

I had thought it was a setting within Cura (which is not the slicer I normally use but I could swear this was a fancy feature that helped me decide to try it)

Hi and welcome,

Not sure exactly what you are talking about.... but in Cura you can view the layers by selecting layer view and go through the whole printing process.

So it's not representing what is actually printing but how it will print, it's a very good way to find out if something will go wrong or not

I also have a webcam attached to my OctoPrint box. When I compare the visualisation of the gcode viewer with the live stream, I must say it synchronises fairly good.

When I look at the source code it only seems to buffer a few commands ahead from a serial stream.