Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Posted · Mark 2 Printed Parts

question the parts are printed BUT the magnets are not a tight fit into the Head A where they marry up with the magnets in the coupling, in the coupling they are a smooth fit but will be pulled out by the magnetic pull, and in the head A they are a loose fit.

Can they be superglued into the HeadA and can they be glued to the back of the coupling wings,, I printed 2 of the headA (one was a mistake) both have the same recess for the Mags and the same dimension (sloppy).

I also printed 2 of the coupling (first one damaged getting off the Bed) but again the dimensions are the same on both (for the Mags) smooth fit. but inadequate..

I don't want to re print because I don't believe the prints are bad (both of them) it is only where the mags meet on the Head and the coupling all the other parts are good.

I wondered if the mags are slightly under sized I got them from

https://www.first4magnets.com/circular-disc-rod-magnets-c34/6mm-dia-x-3mm-thick-n42-neodymium-magnet-0-9kg-pull-p3566#ps_1-2566

That's all ok. Just use a drop of superglue to secure the magnets. Slicer settings / extrusion / flow can easily affect the hole diameter in the range of +- 0.05 mm. And that's enough for changing from tight fit to loose fit.

It’s important the magnets can touch fully, the gap ensures that this happens.

To be very sure you could reprint tonnage a slight gap.

It seems to me you are printing with a low extrusion rate?