Ultimaker Nylon making cracking sound.

gauravnx1

Posted · Ultimaker Nylon making cracking sound.

Dear Community,

The ultimaker nylon which I am printing right now is making cracking sound, seems it absorbed moisture from the environment. And this happened after storing it securely in airtight zip pouches with desiccant inside.

Now I wanted some help regarding this issue -

1. What is the best way to store the nylon filament (I am sure my PVA too have absorbed moisture) without letting it absorb moisture?

2. How can I remove the moisture content from my current Ultimaker nylon filament?

3. Any further suggestions.

Please support.

Thanks,

I believe prevention is the way to go, so I always keep my PVA and Nylon sealed, also during printing. This means you loose the functionality of using the tags on ultimaker spools, but I don't mind as I'm used to set material type manual anyhow, as you need to do it for non ultimaker materials.

I use this;

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/drybox-for-pva-ultimaker3

To 'repair' your filament you can use something like this, I never had too...

https://www.makerpoint.nl/nl/printdry-filament-dryer.html

• 6 years later...

Just for a point of interest, I purchased some nylon over a year ago but never used it.  Still sealed in the factory plastic, with Dessicant, never exposed to atmosphere from the factory.  When I finally upgraded my hot end and dug it out for first print, it too, snaps, crackles and pops.