Yet another "There is an I2C communication error" on large print

le_avion

Posted · Yet another "There is an I2C communication error" on large print

Pretty amazing that my $160 printer is trouble free while a Ultimaker 3 Extended, a $4,300 printer, has so many issues.

The latest one is the infamous "There is an I2C communication error" few hours into a print.

I am attaching the logs which I saved to flash drive but I'm not holding my breath anymore to find a solution.

boot-0

boot-1

boot-2

Hi,

I think we've had this one, its caused by the ribbon connection to the head coming loose. We took the split cover off, pushed it back in to the connection and then added a little bit of tape around the wire so the split cover clamps its much tighter.

• 1 year later...
    • 1 month later...

Hi @Oj00, thank you, I have to tell you I have found there could be a problem from the Olimex board I say this because I did switch 2 Olimex boards from 2 printers that are the same (Ultimaker 3 Extended) and the error moved on the other printer, again I did not change the printing head cable. Maybe this information could be useful for some users, even for developers. But then again... how can this be from the Olimex board if the cable is connected to the motherboard? I need to understand more how this olimex board interacts with the motherboard.

Hi ! I've got the same trouble on my UM3E, is it possible to swap the Olimex Board between UM3e(1783) and UM3(1782) ?

Thank you !

3 hours ago, JEFF2A said:

Hi ! I've got the same trouble on my UM3E, is it possible to swap the Olimex Board between UM3e(1783) and UM3(1782) ?

Thank you !

dunno what those numbers are, but this thread may help if you want to try it: